Nissan GTR Forum for the R32, R33, R34 and R35 "Godzilla"

My life with the GT-R aka My expensive test drive

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-25-2014, 04:15 PM
Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !
I haven't thoroughly read it, but the Turbo S did make a big improvement vs. previous year(s). Tires could be the reason it wasn't quicker this time.

Originally Posted by gtr guy in az
Why did Pobst stab the brakes hard going up hill driving the GTR.
LOL! Newbies do that approaching turn 1. Ask me how I know...

Well, just saw the results using Motor trends BS measurements.
Only the 911 or the GTR should have won.
Randy, I hope you got a big pay day for FIXING THE RESULTS ............
They rank based on the experience, the lap time is just 1 factor.

Old 09-25-2014, 06:28 PM
gtr guy in az has much to be proud ofgtr guy in az has much to be proud ofgtr guy in az has much to be proud ofgtr guy in az has much to be proud ofgtr guy in az has much to be proud ofgtr guy in az has much to be proud ofgtr guy in az has much to be proud ofgtr guy in az has much to be proud ofgtr guy in az has much to be proud of
Ok, send me a PM........ How do ya know.

Old 09-25-2014, 10:38 PM
Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !
Ok, send me a PM........ How do ya know.
I already provided the link but here it is again:
http://www.motortrend.com/features/p...r/viewall.html

The Porsche 918 shattered the lap record, but I thought it would hit 1:29s possibly tying what a stock superbike could do, but no.
http://www.motortrend.com/features/p...xrecs#cxrecs_s

Last edited by Deuuuce; 09-25-2014 at 10:41 PM.
Old 09-27-2014, 06:58 PM
garychios is a splendid one to beholdgarychios is a splendid one to beholdgarychios is a splendid one to beholdgarychios is a splendid one to beholdgarychios is a splendid one to beholdgarychios is a splendid one to beholdgarychios is a splendid one to behold
This thread is the reason I bought 911 Twin Turbo. A much better car and holds it resale a lot better.

Old 09-27-2014, 08:04 PM
ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by garychios
This thread is the reason I bought 911 Twin Turbo. A much better car and holds it resale a lot better.
Glad it hopefully provided some guidance. Although the gtr resale value had been outstanding up to now.

Old 09-29-2014, 08:36 AM
Cscat is a glorious beacon of lightCscat is a glorious beacon of lightCscat is a glorious beacon of lightCscat is a glorious beacon of lightCscat is a glorious beacon of lightCscat is a glorious beacon of light
Just read the first post in here, and I agree. I just picked up an older GTR, and it doesn't hold a candle to my 997 in any department. But strangely enough, this car gets so much attention, I don't get it. I drive the Turbo S or the GranTurismo and nobody could care less, but in the GTR, I'd think I was a movie star with paparazzi following me everywhere. I just don't get that, but it is what it is. Basically, the GTR drives very similar to the 911, but with everything "less". Less speed, less comfort, transmission feels like dog crap compared to the PDK, awkward seating position, lots of rattles, noises, creaks, and groans. We'll see how long this car lasts in the stable. My plan was to use this to modify and keep the Turbo S stock. So maybe when it has a few hundred HP more, I will think differently of the car.

Old 09-29-2014, 09:26 AM
gtr guy in az has much to be proud ofgtr guy in az has much to be proud ofgtr guy in az has much to be proud ofgtr guy in az has much to be proud ofgtr guy in az has much to be proud ofgtr guy in az has much to be proud ofgtr guy in az has much to be proud ofgtr guy in az has much to be proud ofgtr guy in az has much to be proud of
On the subject of resale:

09 GTR MSRP $78,000 ...... trade in to dealer $ 65,500 according to KBB
The GTR retains 83 % of value.
2010 also yields high retained value .
Maybe not so for later years ??

Please feel free to check out 911 turbo values for same year with 20,000 miles .

Yes, the GTR is a rock star because their are only 1000 or so sold each year in USA .
Rare supercars always more interesting for the average Joe.

Every Porsche 911, 911TT oe r 911TTs looks the same to the average Joe.

Lap times don't seem to support the comment the 997 is faster than the same year GTR at many tracks. I am glad your are happy with a 997 TT.

I am happy with my 600 WHP GTR and also happy with an 04 GT-2 just added to the stable .

The best of times are still ahead .Competition is great for all car makers . Just look at the situation at Ferrari . Winning at all cost on the track and in the show room now demanded by Fiat.
Ferrari will also now finally make the 458 a TT . The next generation GTR may again reset the BAR ??

Old 09-30-2014, 07:49 PM
ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !
On the subject of resale:

09 GTR MSRP $78,000 ...... trade in to dealer $ 65,500 according to KBB
The GTR retains 83 % of value.
2010 also yields high retained value .
Maybe not so for later years ??
Always good discussion here.

Not sure about the progression of the GTR MSRP. The '14 is over $100k, perhaps $106k, and people have bought them for $85k. Seems that discount off new is about 20%. Not terribly good resale value, although a heck of a bargain if one believes that a '09 trades at $65k. Looking at the way Nissan tried to raise the price of the GTR, the '09 was a bargain at $78k. At '14 and '15 prices, they're just sitting on dealer lots.

That was my prior point, not really sure what the wholesale value of a car would be. I'm saying this because I'm SURE you know as well that KBB on a car with a limited market is NEVER going to trade off KBB. That's why I'm wondering what kind of wholesale values there are right now. Has anyone done a dealer trade in?

If I was a wholesaler, I wouldn't pick up a GTR at any price. The car is clearly illiquid.

Old 10-01-2014, 05:47 AM
jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by ryem3
Always good discussion here.

Not sure about the progression of the GTR MSRP. The '14 is over $100k, perhaps $106k, and people have bought them for $85k. Seems that discount off new is about 20%. Not terribly good resale value, although a heck of a bargain if one believes that a '09 trades at $65k. Looking at the way Nissan tried to raise the price of the GTR, the '09 was a bargain at $78k. At '14 and '15 prices, they're just sitting on dealer lots.

That was my prior point, not really sure what the wholesale value of a car would be. I'm saying this because I'm SURE you know as well that KBB on a car with a limited market is NEVER going to trade off KBB. That's why I'm wondering what kind of wholesale values there are right now. Has anyone done a dealer trade in?

If I was a wholesaler, I wouldn't pick up a GTR at any price. The car is clearly illiquid.
Was offered $54k for my '09 last year, when contemplating picking up a '14.

Old 10-01-2014, 07:12 AM
Jasper,

That sounds about right. If you can get a new 14 for 12,000 off , then your trade in will also be somewhat lower.
I recent car purchase we made had an MSRP of 49,000 and we paid 42,000.
I did not give them the trade and sold it to Car Max.
Maybe it would be interesting for all of us to take a GTR and a 911 TT to Car Maxx and get a quote ??

Old 10-01-2014, 07:47 AM
LPpfs997 is a splendid one to beholdLPpfs997 is a splendid one to beholdLPpfs997 is a splendid one to beholdLPpfs997 is a splendid one to beholdLPpfs997 is a splendid one to beholdLPpfs997 is a splendid one to beholdLPpfs997 is a splendid one to beholdLPpfs997 is a splendid one to behold
ryem3; Thanks for the push to look into the German mag : Sport Auto. Google Chrome translates the text reasonably and the editorial content and data are interesting.

Old 10-01-2014, 08:32 AM
Originally Posted by jaspergtr
Was offered $54k for my '09 last year, when contemplating picking up a '14.
Somewhat confirms the inaccuracy of kbb for low volume cars. Of course, there is a world of difference in values a year later, given the glut of new cars on the market. Five years old and one third depreciation is still pretty good.

Old 10-01-2014, 08:37 AM
Originally Posted by LPpfs997
ryem3; Thanks for the push to look into the German mag : Sport Auto. Google Chrome translates the text reasonably and the editorial content and data are interesting.
You're welcome. They have no issues telling it the way it is. As well, they now dyno every test car and also check the suspension specs versus mfg specs. If the car is a ringer, you know it. The same guys drive all the cars at the ring. Puts things on a level playing field.

Old 12-19-2014, 12:32 AM
Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !
Like it or not, your experiences are useful. Thanks for the notes from your ownership experience.

Old 12-19-2014, 06:48 PM
jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Cscat
... But strangely enough, this car gets so much attention, I don't get it. I drive the Turbo S or the GranTurismo and nobody could care less, but in the GTR, I'd think I was a movie star with paparazzi following me everywhere. I just don't get that, but it is what it is. ... My plan was to use this to modify and keep the Turbo S stock. So maybe when it has a few hundred HP more, I will think differently of the car.
The attention is non-stop, too. 6 1/2 years later, I still get people standing around the car, striking up conversations (just yesterday, three different places, 3 different generations of people talking to the wife and me about the car.

The car really shines as the power gets added. The drive maintains its composure, like stock, until you romp on it. It is a truly bizarre thing (coming from other cars with high HP mods, mostly RWD, though).

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: My life with the GT-R aka My expensive test drive