Nissan GTR Forum for the R32, R33, R34 and R35 "Godzilla"

My life with the GT-R aka My expensive test drive

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-19-2014, 06:52 PM
Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by jaspergtr

The car really shines as the power gets added. The drive maintains its composure, like stock, until you romp on it. It is a truly bizarre thing (coming from other cars with high HP mods, mostly RWD, though).
I have to admit that this is something that really appealed to me too, as I'm only used to high powered imports that change noticeably in personality when modified. Then I kept reading about people with 1000, 1500, and even 1800+ whp GT-Rs who swear that the low speed and normal drive-ability are very much intact even when built to those levels, and it really is something I look forward to. I'm not planning to build a monster or anything like that, but to have even 100-200 whp more than stock with stock-like drive-ability sounds really impressive.

Old 12-24-2014, 06:34 AM
Stage7 has a reputation beyond reputeStage7 has a reputation beyond reputeStage7 has a reputation beyond reputeStage7 has a reputation beyond reputeStage7 has a reputation beyond reputeStage7 has a reputation beyond reputeStage7 has a reputation beyond reputeStage7 has a reputation beyond reputeStage7 has a reputation beyond reputeStage7 has a reputation beyond reputeStage7 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Steve Theodore
I have to admit that this is something that really appealed to me too, as I'm only used to high powered imports that change noticeably in personality when modified. Then I kept reading about people with 1000, 1500, and even 1800+ whp GT-Rs who swear that the low speed and normal drive-ability are very much intact even when built to those levels, and it really is something I look forward to. I'm not planning to build a monster or anything like that, but to have even 100-200 whp more than stock with stock-like drive-ability sounds really impressive.
Are you the same Steve Theodore from 12 + years ago with the MSB hardtop Supra from the Supra Forums? Funny how us car nuts follow similar paths.

Are you planning to add a GTR as a companion to your Porsche?

There are some smoking deals to be had right now. I was super close to buying a '15 GTR earlier this year but the dealer wouldn't budge off of msrp at the time. I ended up with a 997.2 TT instead. About 2-3 months later I was offered a '15 GTR ~ $14k below msrp. This was still during the summer with good weather.

There are a ton online for sale now (new and used). Much more inventory than when I was in the market and deciding between the 997.2 TT and a GTR.

Old 12-24-2014, 10:54 AM
Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !
Hello Stage7, I am indeed the same guy you're thinking of.

This car will be companion to the GT3RS. One doesn't sell a car like that unless they have no options left!

Yeah, some good deals to be had, and I'm already looking around but won't be an active buyer until next month. I'll be picking up a 12/13 MY as I do want to get a DBA. Thanks for the kind words.

Old 12-27-2014, 10:33 PM
ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Steve Theodore
Hello Stage7, I am indeed the same guy you're thinking of.

This car will be companion to the GT3RS. One doesn't sell a car like that unless they have no options left!

Yeah, some good deals to be had, and I'm already looking around but won't be an active buyer until next month. I'll be picking up a 12/13 MY as I do want to get a DBA. Thanks for the kind words.
Right, keep in mind that some leftover 14 be's went in the mid 80s. Also I've read that the track times from the 14+ cars are slower as Nissan once again made the suspension softer (huh, no it wasn't too stiff when it was first released). The car's price really went up too much either relative to the value of the car or relative to the number of buyers out there. Over a full year old, several hundred 2014 needed to be dumped to finally move the inventory. It was one of the most interesting events I've ever seen in the auto market.

Old 12-28-2014, 11:39 AM
Yeah, the Nissan built-in price protection strategy has seemed to ultimately fail as the model got longer in the tooth and the pool of interested buyers got smaller. They had done a great job protecting used car values, whether or not they actually set out to do that, by raising the prices so steadily year over year.

There is no real danger of me buying a 2015 (soft suspension) model, but appreciate the tip!

Old 12-31-2014, 11:39 PM
-=Hot|Ice=- is on a distinguished road
Can anyone comment on the 15's day to day usage? Having an oil change every six months sounds a bit extreme! I'm very interested, but I would like to learn some more.

Old 01-01-2015, 05:51 AM
gtr guy in az has much to be proud ofgtr guy in az has much to be proud ofgtr guy in az has much to be proud ofgtr guy in az has much to be proud ofgtr guy in az has much to be proud ofgtr guy in az has much to be proud ofgtr guy in az has much to be proud ofgtr guy in az has much to be proud ofgtr guy in az has much to be proud of
For many years, 3,000 miles or 1 year is what I did. Nissan says 6,000 interval....
Not very expensive and no different than what we do do with the new GT-2 911.
This car the GTR is no more expensive than any 911 Turbo..........
Don't believe everything your read as FACT.

Old 01-01-2015, 08:20 PM
ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by -=Hot|Ice=-
Can anyone comment on the 15's day to day usage? Having an oil change every six months sounds a bit extreme! I'm very interested, but I would like to learn some more.
That's recommended. Engine oil changes are very cheap though. Do a little research though. Call your local dealer for costs. Check the costs for tranny and diff oil changes and the intervals. Take a look at brake costs as well - compare pads and rotors to a Porsche. Also check oem tire costs or pss replacement costs if you want to run those instead. There might still be some good values on 14s and I think even 15s are being discounted.

Old 01-02-2015, 07:21 PM
Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by -=Hot|Ice=-
Extreme as in waiting too long? My 335d interval is 10k-12k miles....

A Blackstone Lab analysis will help determine if its good or not.

Old 01-03-2015, 06:56 PM
Originally Posted by Deuuuce

Extreme as in waiting too long? My 335d interval is 10k-12k
That is really surprising. You get 4 years free maintenence anyway - for most people it's only 2 visits. No comparison with a gtr.

Old 01-04-2015, 03:29 AM
gtr guy in az has much to be proud ofgtr guy in az has much to be proud ofgtr guy in az has much to be proud ofgtr guy in az has much to be proud ofgtr guy in az has much to be proud ofgtr guy in az has much to be proud ofgtr guy in az has much to be proud ofgtr guy in az has much to be proud ofgtr guy in az has much to be proud of
Having owned several BMW's, If you ever looked inside the cylinder head of a BMW with 100,000 miles and oil changes at those intervals..............
It is a mess.........
The GTR says 6,000 miles but again 2 track days or 3,000 miles and DO IT...

Old 01-04-2015, 10:17 AM
Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by gtr guy in az
Having owned several BMW's, If you ever looked inside the cylinder head of a BMW with 100,000 miles and oil changes at those intervals..............
It is a mess.........
The GTR says 6,000 miles but again 2 track days or 3,000 miles and DO IT...
Look at the cylinders of most if not all cars and they are a mess, even at 10,000 miles. Edit - does that translate to the cylinder heads? Not sure but where is a failure/issue more likely?

Have you ever had an oil analysis done? I've had quite a few done. Not saying it doesn't need it after 3000 miles and 2 track days, but the data would be interesting. Perhaps needed after 1 track day or still great after 2 and 3000 miles.

Last edited by Deuuuce; 01-05-2015 at 01:33 PM.
Old 01-13-2015, 07:55 PM
Funny, just reading an article comparing a used gtr with a v10 r8. Reasonable used comparison in the German used car market. Made mention that pre '11 cars had some instances of transmission problems and the trannies are E25k!
They made mention of gas mileage. It was the same thought I had when I had mine. If you think you are buying an economical turbo v6 you are really wrong. I was getting about 13 mpg with my 4 liter v8 e92 m3. With the gtr I was getting about 10 mpg around town with the identical route and driving style. The only saving grace of the gtr was that it has a bigger gas tank! Low fuel light come on with the m3 after going though only 12 gallons!

Old 01-13-2015, 07:59 PM
I just bought my 2014 Premium last Saturday but have actually been pretty impressed with the fuel economy and range thus far. I haven't been through a whole tank but it's on pace to get well over 300 miles so far. Doing the math yields 15 mpg, but I'll try to stop by with the real world results on my first tank.

Old 01-17-2015, 11:45 AM
porsche911 is on a distinguished road
thank you for the write....

GTR was for a split second on my list to have. But it had to be a DD compatible... I think that is clearly not a case for GTR....

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: My life with the GT-R aka My expensive test drive