Nissan GTR Forum for the R32, R33, R34 and R35 "Godzilla"

My life with the GT-R aka My expensive test drive

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-01-2015, 11:14 PM
gtr guy in az has much to be proud ofgtr guy in az has much to be proud ofgtr guy in az has much to be proud ofgtr guy in az has much to be proud ofgtr guy in az has much to be proud ofgtr guy in az has much to be proud ofgtr guy in az has much to be proud ofgtr guy in az has much to be proud ofgtr guy in az has much to be proud of
Just got back from a week in Tulsa. Took the 04 GT-2 to Hallet race track and turned a 1:27 . Much faster than the time posted here for Hallet.
My GTR last year ran 1:25 on 4 year old run flats, maybe with new Michelin's SS it would have run 1:23. Oh and a brand new Turbo S ran 1:23 with a pro driver .
Yes, I daily drive the GTR and getting rid of run flats changed the noise and ride to be much better.

Old 04-02-2015, 07:48 AM
longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by whyb2nd
Yet to see a 15 at that price. What dealer?
Well GTR not for me even at only $80k. Drove it. Great performance car but just not for me.

So my buddy member xtyper in gtr life posted his deal in the new member section of the forum. $81k from a Nissan dealer in long beach, ca. Xtyper could have also purchased the 2014 track edition for $86 but went with the Premium for $81. Both cars brand new not demos or anything like that.

Old 04-04-2015, 10:59 AM
getz has much to be proud ofgetz has much to be proud ofgetz has much to be proud ofgetz has much to be proud ofgetz has much to be proud ofgetz has much to be proud ofgetz has much to be proud ofgetz has much to be proud ofgetz has much to be proud ofgetz has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by garychios
This thread is the reason I bought 911 Twin Turbo. A much better car and holds it resale a lot better.
Having owned both (2007 911 Turbo) and a 2015 GTR I can't say I agree with the resale claim. My 911 Turbo had an MSRP of 155k and is now probably worth low 70s. I purchased my GTR Premium for 84k (MSRP of around 103k) and have a feeling this will be a car that is perpetually worth 55-60 grand on the resale market. Even with the pricing subsidy it is still a very low volume car which will have a huge resale demand given the huge fan base in the younger population. The guys tuning their WRXs are simply biding their time for their income to become compatible with GTR ownership. As far as being a much better car, I would say that the Porsche is superior in terms of luxury and fit and finish, but when you look at the MSRP on a new 991 Turbo S, I would have a hard time calling it 100 grand better. Is the 997.2 Turbo better than the GTR? You can tell how my wallet voted.

Old 04-04-2015, 03:32 PM
ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by getz

Having owned both (2007 911 Turbo) and a 2015 GTR I can't say I agree with the resale claim. My 911 Turbo had an MSRP of 155k and is now probably worth low 70s. I purchased my GTR Premium for 84k (MSRP of around 103k) and have a feeling this will be a car that is perpetually worth 55-60 grand on the resale market. Even with the pricing subsidy it is still a very low volume car which will have a huge resale demand given the huge fan base in the younger population. The guys tuning their WRXs are simply biding their time for their income to become compatible with GTR ownership. As far as being a much better car, I would say that the Porsche is superior in terms of luxury and fit and finish, but when you look at the MSRP on a new 991 Turbo S, I would have a hard time calling it 100 grand better. Is the 997.2 Turbo better than the GTR? You can tell how my wallet voted.
Interesting comment on resale. There may be a huge fan base, but supply and demand tells you that even with very low supply, very few people want a gtr. Imagine having a 2 year old gtr you think you can sell for $80k? When the car moved to six figures, demand dried up. Very interesting market for these cars. Does anyone recall a car selling new for 20% off?
Your 997 turbo at 50% off original price for an 8 year old car is pretty damn good value. I agree that the 991 turbo at 200k is just crazy. Bought my 3 year old turbo about 35% back of new, at 50% off after 5 more years, I'll be quite happy.

Old 04-05-2015, 01:18 PM
Administrator
GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !
We expect our members to be able to carry on a conversation without being disrespectful or insulting

Old 04-07-2015, 10:58 PM
whyb2nd is on a distinguished road
Are you Porsche guys that bored, lonely or egotistic that you have to post/bash on a GTR forum...REALLY!

Being an owner of (4) 911T's of various generations, I understand your love for the car. The GTR is a different animal to the 911, but still a marvel in the supercar field at it's price point. Has Rennlist become boring lately...lol

Reality check: Porsches fall like rocks as well, been there unless you hold the car for 7 plus years and market climate has an upturn...maybe!

Be cool, we all like fast cars here and the GTR desires it spot as well.

Old 04-08-2015, 06:41 AM
gtr guy in az has much to be proud ofgtr guy in az has much to be proud ofgtr guy in az has much to be proud ofgtr guy in az has much to be proud ofgtr guy in az has much to be proud ofgtr guy in az has much to be proud ofgtr guy in az has much to be proud ofgtr guy in az has much to be proud ofgtr guy in az has much to be proud of
Resale is important to many of us. I have owned my GTR since 2011. Got an 09 for $62,000. Maybe can sell it for $57,000. IT IS NOT FOR SALE AND NEVER WILL BE .
Added a GT-2 to the family ................WHAT A FABULOUS CAR.
MSRP $202,000.00 paid $80,000.00 .
This one will now go up...................
So for far less than a new TT's , I have 2 world class cars and money left over to burn at the track................

I would love a new TT's but too rich with only down side value. The 2015 GTR can be purchased for $88,000.00 or so .
Who cares about downside at this price.

Lets finally talk about the real downside of the GTR.....................................
There are only 2 major shortcomings with this supercar.
1- not enough brake cooling------the fix aftermarket cool ducts .
2- transmission get hot after 10 hard laps ---- the fix aftermarket trans cooler.

Porsche on the other hand has none of these issues . It has other issues but that can be left for another day.

Old 04-09-2015, 09:56 AM
jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by getz
Well said.
Originally Posted by ryem3
Interesting comment on resale. There may be a huge fan base, but supply and demand tells you that even with very low supply, very few people want a gtr. Imagine having a 2 year old gtr you think you can sell for $80k? When the car moved to six figures, demand dried up. Very interesting market for these cars. Does anyone recall a car selling new for 20% off?
Your 997 turbo at 50% off original price for an 8 year old car is pretty damn good value. I agree that the 991 turbo at 200k is just crazy. Bought my 3 year old turbo about 35% back of new, at 50% off after 5 more years, I'll be quite happy.
Yes - 2 year olds (and more) go for around $80k. There are some that are still sold for more than purchased.

I'm not sure I agree that there is "very few people" that want a GT-R. I guess it depends on which circles you are in. I'm currently working with a group in Jacksonville, FL, in which everyone who knows what a GT-R is wants one. They saw me drive up on day 4 of a 5 day trip, and couldn't believe there was one in the parking lot. Pictures, questions, requests for rides, etc... the average age is 40yrs old. One person (mid-40's) who wanted one for a while, was in slight disbelief that mine is 6 1/2 years old (he was not aware they were available that long).

As usual we found the typical misinformation. But overall, car enthusiasts respect its abilities. I echo the comment about WRX's (and the like) that are tuned up, waiting for the 'upgrade'.

Old 04-10-2015, 12:26 PM
rseven has much to be proud ofrseven has much to be proud ofrseven has much to be proud ofrseven has much to be proud ofrseven has much to be proud ofrseven has much to be proud ofrseven has much to be proud ofrseven has much to be proud ofrseven has much to be proud ofrseven has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by whyb2nd
The GTR is a different animal to the 911, but still a marvel in the supercar field at it's price point.

Be cool, we all like fast cars here and the GTR desires it spot as well.
Well said.

Old 07-27-2015, 07:59 PM
ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by jaspergtr
Well said.

Yes - 2 year olds (and more) go for around $80k. There are some that are still sold for more than purchased.

I'm not sure I agree that there is "very few people" that want a GT-R. I guess it depends on which circles you are in.
Had a moment to come back to the thread. There is certainly still a place for the gtr. A friend of mine sold a fully built 1000 plus hp new car for $275k! However, the above statement doesn't really hold anymore. 2 year old cars are selling below $70k. (Right here on 6speed) Not a surprise given that new ones were just selling for $80k. People may still want them, but they are not willing to pay much money for them. I couldn't imagine the anguish of an owner that bought a new car for $100k+ and needs to trade it in. It's really a fascinating story about the car. Nothing still can touch it for the price.

Old 07-28-2015, 12:02 AM
jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !
Had a moment to come back to the thread. There is certainly still a place for the gtr. A friend of mine sold a fully built 1000 plus hp new car for $275k! However, the above statement doesn't really hold anymore. 2 year old cars are selling below $70k. (Right here on 6speed) Not a surprise given that new ones were just selling for $80k. People may still want them, but they are not willing to pay much money for them. I couldn't imagine the anguish of an owner that bought a new car for $100k+ and needs to trade it in. It's really a fascinating story about the car. Nothing still can touch it for the price.
I think the sweet spot for the car is, and always has been $80-85k. The car goes for MSRP $100k (110 for BE, etc...).

My car was ~$75 new, and is still ~mid 50's 7 years later. That's not bad. The dollar and market dictated the rise in MSRP. On the secondary market - what you've just described is exactly why prices won't come down below $80's for 1-2 year old cars (small examples will always exist on both ends of the spectrum - some below $70, some over $90, etc...).

Are you aware that there was a $10k rebate on GT-R's for most of this year? I'm just wondering where the $100k+ figure is coming from...

Last edited by jaspergtr; 07-28-2015 at 12:06 AM.
Old 07-29-2015, 08:11 PM
Originally Posted by jaspergtr
My car was ~$75 new, and is still ~mid 50's 7 years later. That's not bad.

Are you aware that there was a $10k rebate on GT-R's for most of this year? I'm just wondering where the $100k+ figure is coming from...
Sorry, need to correct you again. $75k new and $50k now isn't "not bad", it's phenomenal! The car should be worth $35k, maybe. Indeed, that car was a great buy.

I've even seen a 2014 track edition car listed in the 70's. Yes, I recall the $10k rebate, but that certainly wasn't all of the model year, it came out as the 15's came out to clear the overwhelming amount of 14 inventory, as I recall. So, someone could have easily purchased a 2014 model year in late 2013 for over $100k. That would have been a real bummer.

Yes, there are cars listed in the 70's, 80's and 90's, but what are the sales prices? Dealers had to sell new '14's in the 80's to move them. A fool and his money are soon parted of course and no one stops anyone from asking any price. Just like that 2015 GT3 listed for $200k in the listings! If you had a 2014 GTR, I just really wonder how much a dealer would give you in trade.

I guess the Nismo sells for $190k. I wonder how many buyers there are for them. The 2016's are like $116k, right? I wonder what they are selling for.

Old 07-30-2015, 07:54 AM
XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !
I guess the Nismo sells for $190k. I wonder how many buyers there are for them. The 2016's are like $116k, right? I wonder what they are selling for.
Not sure but a local dealer has a 2016 white/red that has been on the lot for a while. I guess the price is not enticing enough to move the unit.

Old 07-30-2015, 01:02 PM
Sorry, need to correct you again. $75k new and $50k now isn't "not bad", it's phenomenal! The car should be worth $35k, maybe. Indeed, that car was a great buy.

I've even seen a 2014 track edition car listed in the 70's. Yes, I recall the $10k rebate, but that certainly wasn't all of the model year, it came out as the 15's came out to clear the overwhelming amount of 14 inventory, as I recall. So, someone could have easily purchased a 2014 model year in late 2013 for over $100k. That would have been a real bummer.

Yes, there are cars listed in the 70's, 80's and 90's, but what are the sales prices? Dealers had to sell new '14's in the 80's to move them. A fool and his money are soon parted of course and no one stops anyone from asking any price. Just like that 2015 GT3 listed for $200k in the listings! If you had a 2014 GTR, I just really wonder how much a dealer would give you in trade.

This post seems spot on to me. NISMO at $190k will, unfortunately, sell. The low volume nature of most items will demand a premium. To me, it would just be a car, so I see no need to pay over MSRP (I also feel the $150k tag is excessive - hence me not buying one).

2014's/15's seem to be in a rather high demand because after '13, this is where more people feel the car has been sorted out.

Admittedly, I'm kind of just playing the waiting game (for R36), so my info regarding '16's is not current - I only learned enough about the car, that I don't want to replace my current one, nor add to my CBA. The Cobb AP, mid-pipe was enough to scratch my itch (and allows me to drive the way I want to in all conditions). I've had the pleasure and fortune to drive other's GT-R's with SIGNIFICANTLY more power, but I'm not brave enough to deal with the risk associated with that amount of power, as I normally don't buy spares of things over certain dollar amounts.

Old 12-09-2015, 12:13 PM
Just heard from someone; glad to hear this thread is still informative to people.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: My life with the GT-R aka My expensive test drive