Nissan GTR Forum for the R32, R33, R34 and R35 "Godzilla"

My life with the GT-R aka My expensive test drive

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-09-2013, 08:59 PM
Banned
amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !
From a DD perspective, my current E92 M3 is the only "performance oriented" car that I have been able to actually DD. I am leaning very heavily at the moment towards a '10 or '11 GTR to replace the M3. I've owned C6 Vettes and three different 911's plus a CaymanS and all have paled in comparison to DD ability to my M3.

Last edited by amerlemans; 08-10-2013 at 06:22 AM.
Old 08-10-2013, 10:09 AM
Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by amerlemans
From a DD perspective, my current E92 M3 is the only "performance oriented" car that I have been able to actually DD. I am leaning very heavily at the moment towards a '10 or '11 GTR to replace the M3. I've owned C6 Vettes and three different 911's plus a CaymanS and all have paled in comparison to DD ability to my M3.
I just reviewed the 2014 Cayman S PDK. Publishing it today. I could absolutely see it as a DD. Phenominal all-around package.

Old 08-10-2013, 02:27 PM
Banned
amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Deuuuce
I just reviewed the 2014 Cayman S PDK. Publishing it today. I could absolutely see it as a DD. Phenominal all-around package.
That is the last car that I would want to DD. Engine right behind your head, cramped ****pit, no back seat. No thanks. All day long as a Friday and weekend car but that would get real old real fast driving 5 days a week.

Old 08-10-2013, 07:02 PM
ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !
That's what I had before the gtr. I even had the competition package. Also had the premium sound, which was fantastic and a far cry from the Bose system in my turbo.
If you go to a gtr and dd it, it can be a rude awakening, as I described in the thread. You are right about the m3 as a daily, it is very hard to beat. I wanted something more entertaining though and found some things lacking in the m3. I had a6 speed and the shifter was horrible. Often grinds into 2nd gear. Rubbery all the time. The biggest thing though is the lack of torque. There is just no power from that engine under 5k rpm. In contrast to 911 turbo, the power comes on hard with the booost at 3k rpm and is just incredible. It is so easy and flexible to drive around town and in traffic. I've been very happy going to the turbo.

Old 08-10-2013, 07:51 PM
jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !
That is the last car that I would want to DD. Engine right behind your head, cramped ****pit, no back seat. No thanks. All day long as a Friday and weekend car but that would get real old real fast driving 5 days a week.
I would love to have one as a DD. I wouldn't prefer it to a GT-R, but the Cayman is such good car, it's almost unbelievable.

Old 08-10-2013, 11:31 PM
Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !
Obviously you haven't been in a new one. It is almost entirely different than an '06 and quieter than a 997.1TT.

The engine is hardly behind the head, it isn't cramped at all and why is a back seat needed with a DD? I NEVER use the back seat in my 335d as a DD and that is hauling a laptop, gym bag & food cooler every day.

Originally Posted by jaspergtr
I would love to have one as a DD. I wouldn't prefer it to a GT-R, but the Cayman is such good car, it's almost unbelievable.
Agreed, it's amazing. Might be the best all-around sports car taking into account price, performance & efficiency.

Old 08-11-2013, 01:44 AM
Crea is a jewel in the roughCrea is a jewel in the roughCrea is a jewel in the roughCrea is a jewel in the rough
Cayman is absolutely awesome for errand trips! Ever since I got myself a Cayman S, I've been using it for most of the trips in the city. Especially with the frunk and trunk, it actually have lots of space to carry stuff!

I use my GTR for inter-city travel as its my primary car for use to cross border into China. But I usually switch to a local car and just leave my GTR at home. Not sure if I can call it my DD, but I do drive it almost daily, just hardly drive it when I'm running errands or just going out locally.

in Hong Kong, my errand car is a spilt between the Cayman or the 86, in China I leave the task to my 328i

Old 08-11-2013, 07:25 AM
Banned
Originally Posted by ryem3
That's what I had before the gtr. I even had the competition package. Also had the premium sound, which was fantastic and a far cry from the Bose system in my turbo.
If you go to a gtr and dd it, it can be a rude awakening, as I described in the thread. You are right about the m3 as a daily, it is very hard to beat. I wanted something more entertaining though and found some things lacking in the m3. I had a6 speed and the shifter was horrible. Often grinds into 2nd gear. Rubbery all the time. The biggest thing though is the lack of torque. There is just no power from that engine under 5k rpm. In contrast to 911 turbo, the power comes on hard with the booost at 3k rpm and is just incredible. It is so easy and flexible to drive around town and in traffic. I've been very happy going to the turbo.
I agree with you 100% here. I wanted a manual M3 but drove it for a test drive and couldn't stand it. The car is low on torque to begin with for normal daily driving. I test drove a DCT and it felt quite livelier for around town driving under 4,500 rpm's. Still need to rev the damn thing to get it moving like I like to move. I have only kept my last 7 or 8 cars for about a year (or less). Now, I want something different and want more low end. Thus, looking at the GTR, new C7 Vette, a CLK63 AMG Black or another 997.1 Turbo. The only one of those that I would feel comfortable DD'ing is the GTR.

Old 08-11-2013, 07:27 AM
Banned
Originally Posted by Deuuuce
Obviously you haven't been in a new one. It is almost entirely different than an '06 and quieter than a 997.1TT.

The engine is hardly behind the head, it isn't cramped at all and why is a back seat needed with a DD? I NEVER use the back seat in my 335d as a DD and that is hauling a laptop, gym bag & food cooler every day.

Agreed, it's amazing. Might be the best all-around sports car taking into account price, performance & efficiency.
No, I have not driven the new CaymanS. Perhaps I need to. It still is not going to have enough low end power for what I am looking. If it is as good as some have said and I seriously considered something with even less low end power than what I have now, I would most likely opt for the BoxsterS

Old 08-11-2013, 11:21 AM
As a DD, versatile car, I prefer a more powerful car like a C63 Coupe over the M3, but neither have the efficiency of the Cayman S.

Old 08-11-2013, 11:45 AM
IloveSpeed has a spectacular aura aboutIloveSpeed has a spectacular aura aboutIloveSpeed has a spectacular aura about
This is what the GT-R guys think of the 911's.

http://www.gtrlife.com/forums/topic/.../#entry1227696

Old 08-11-2013, 01:51 PM
yumaverick Is a GOD !yumaverick Is a GOD !yumaverick Is a GOD !yumaverick Is a GOD !yumaverick Is a GOD !yumaverick Is a GOD !yumaverick Is a GOD !yumaverick Is a GOD !yumaverick Is a GOD !yumaverick Is a GOD !yumaverick Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by IloveSpeed
This is what the GT-R guys think of the 911's.

http://www.gtrlife.com/forums/topic/.../#entry1227696
A lot of the Porsche owners I have met are As*Ho*es IMO as well(local non-enthusiests). Not all though. I have also met a lot of cheap GTR owners theres always a little of each in every group.

Last edited by yumaverick; 08-11-2013 at 02:12 PM.
Old 08-11-2013, 04:47 PM
IloveSpeed has a spectacular aura aboutIloveSpeed has a spectacular aura aboutIloveSpeed has a spectacular aura about
I love how the OP of the thread on the GT-R forum went and test drove a 997 Turbo and ended up with these words vs his GTR (That he is keeping BTW)

"All told, my daughter said it best, "dad you are downgrading". From a driving perspective she's right."

Last edited by IloveSpeed; 08-11-2013 at 07:26 PM.
Old 08-11-2013, 06:53 PM
yumaverick Is a GOD !yumaverick Is a GOD !yumaverick Is a GOD !yumaverick Is a GOD !yumaverick Is a GOD !yumaverick Is a GOD !yumaverick Is a GOD !yumaverick Is a GOD !yumaverick Is a GOD !yumaverick Is a GOD !yumaverick Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by IloveSpeed
I love how the OP of the thread on the GT-R forum went and test drove a 997 Turbo and ended up with these words vs his GTR (That he is keeping BTW)

"All told, my daughter said it best, "dad you are downgrading". From a driving perspective she's right. Pick up truck here I come."

pretty funny how he goes from a 997tt to a pick up

Old 08-11-2013, 07:02 PM
zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by yumaverick
A lot of the Porsche owners I have met are As*Ho*es IMO as well(local non-enthusiests). Not all though. I have also met a lot of cheap GTR owners theres always a little of each in every group.
GTR's are amazing high performance sports cars for the money and anyone who is an enthusiast has to have respect for it............
What I notice is that when GTR owners talk crap about 911's, it goes without any issues or fights. On the other hand if any 911 owner talks bad about a GTR , all hell breaks loose. Just an observation!
And I will probably get flack just for pointing that out!

Regarding the M3, I drove them at the M school and they were amazing on the track there, and they were all DCT.
When I came back home I test drove a manual one back to back with a 335 and it felt so slow in comparison. The DCT is a must in this car. I would say that for a little more money a 997.2S with PDK, is an amazing DD for around 60 to 70k slightly used.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: My life with the GT-R aka My expensive test drive