Nissan GTR Forum for the R32, R33, R34 and R35 "Godzilla"

What next..GTR, R8, Gallardo

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-31-2014, 10:54 PM
GETU1 will become famous soon enoughGETU1 will become famous soon enough
What next..GTR, R8, Gallardo

Ive made the decision that either this July, or the following im going to get out of my 911 and get into one of the three cars ive listed. Now I know each of them are completely different to one another, but Ive always wanted to own each of them.

My options:
2011-12+GTR
2008-09 Audi R8
2004-05 Gallardo

I put on about 1500 miles a year on my weekend/summer toys so im not really concerned about maintenance costs, upkeep etc.

In regards to depreciation, I believe the Gallardo would be in the best position now as its taking the majority hit already that it will see for what I think will be quite a while. The GTR in would still be depreciating as would the R8. I keep cars for 2-3 years at a time so this is somewhat on my mind.

I love the thought of the raw power, speed and tuning capability of the GTR. I love the looks, fit and feel of the R8. I love the Gallardo, well because Lamborghini, who wouldnt want to own a v10 italian beast.

I think Im leaning towards the G as it would feel, in a sense, a 'dream' come true. The GTR and R8 are obviously much newer and will have more updated tech and an overall newer feel.

I didnt know where else to post this, what are you guys thoughts? Has anyone here owned all three of these?

Old 04-01-2014, 10:24 AM
ced357 is on a distinguished road
I have heard from many owners and shop owners to stay away from those years regarding the Gallardo. If memory serve, the gear box was poor and fit and finish were improved vastly in later models. Just a thought.

Based on the above, I would vote for the R8 or GTR. Remember new gen's of both are jet around the corner, so likely if you wait prices will drop.

Old 04-01-2014, 11:41 AM
I have heard that a few times about the gallardo and have been told to get an 06+. Thats just more then im looking to spend.

Old 04-01-2014, 11:54 AM
jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !
If you haven't experienced the GT-R, I'd get that. The R8 is a slight step up in interior, balance, and overall experience.
I'm not going to comment on the Lamborghini - too many other factors to consider.

It depends on what you're willing to live with, and what you intend to use it for.

My GT-R has been my daily driver for over 5 1/2 years, and I have only been without it for about 6 days (routine maintenance, and one TSB - steering wheel). The wife is taking it in for another oil change this Friday.

It is a good time to look for a '13 (prices are around mid-low $80s). I'm trying to not get another R35, but perhaps wait for the R36 (hopefully hybrid). My only fear is the words that the current project manager has been caught using recently. It may be good for the consumer, but not good for the enthusiast... We'll see.

Old 04-01-2014, 12:08 PM
Interesting on the R36 though.

Thanks for your input. I feel at some point I will own all three of these cars, but maybe the GTR should be first out the gate. Ill be able to get a 'nearly' new one for the price of a used 08-10 R8.

Where I live there is no way for me to compare all these cars in say a weekend as there is none for sale and barely any around town. Decisions..

Old 04-02-2014, 07:45 PM
Torn has much to be proud ofTorn has much to be proud ofTorn has much to be proud ofTorn has much to be proud ofTorn has much to be proud ofTorn has much to be proud ofTorn has much to be proud ofTorn has much to be proud ofTorn has much to be proud of
I DD my 2014 GTR and I think I will be getting into a Gallardo next!

The gtr is a great all around car, easy to mod, and capable as all hell!

Old 04-02-2014, 08:23 PM
teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !
To start with, I haven't owned or driven any of these, but have considered buying all of them myself in the last few years. I don't fit in a Gallardo or I would have test driven one, but my feelings on them is exactly what you posted: It's a Lambo. Nuf said!

I've always been impressed with the capabilities/performance of the GTR, but I have a problem spending that much on a Nissan. And to me it's just not that exciting looking. I doubt it's a car that I'd turn and look at in a parking lot as I walked away like I do my Porsches. However, I'm a Porsche guy because of the performance combined with reliability and daily driveability, and it's hard to fault the GTR in this area either, but I still wouldn't buy a somewhat blah-looking Nissan for that much money as my weekend/fun car.

That just leaves the Audi for me. Every time I see one of those on the road it sticks out and looks great, and I know their performance level is above what you can use on the streets 99.99% of the time anyway. Audi interiors are pretty much the best in the business too.

Old 04-02-2014, 11:57 PM
Originally Posted by teflon_jones
To start with, I haven't owned or driven any of these, but have considered buying all of them myself in the last few years. I don't fit in a Gallardo or I would have test driven one, but my feelings on them is exactly what you posted: It's a Lambo. Nuf said!

I've always been impressed with the capabilities/performance of the GTR, but I have a problem spending that much on a Nissan. And to me it's just not that exciting looking. I doubt it's a car that I'd turn and look at in a parking lot as I walked away like I do my Porsches. However, I'm a Porsche guy because of the performance combined with reliability and daily driveability, and it's hard to fault the GTR in this area either, but I still wouldn't buy a somewhat blah-looking Nissan for that much money as my weekend/fun car.

That just leaves the Audi for me. Every time I see one of those on the road it sticks out and looks great, and I know their performance level is above what you can use on the streets 99.99% of the time anyway. Audi interiors are pretty much the best in the business too.
Yup were pretty much on the same page. I want the GTR, to open it up a few times to feel it go like a bat out of hell, but thats the only reason.

End of the day, I truly dont think a guy can go terribly wrong with any of these cars.

Old 04-03-2014, 06:13 AM
buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !
you HAVE to drive them, very different cars, you might love or hate any of those, my friend was in love with a gtr in principal but then drove it and didnt like it, wasnt raw enough for him

Old 04-03-2014, 07:26 AM
jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by buzzm
you HAVE to drive them, very different cars, you might love or hate any of those, my friend was in love with a gtr in principal but then drove it and didnt like it, wasnt raw enough for him
This is not uncommon. If people don't like pushing their cars (either on track, or the occasional spirited drive), about 90% of the GT-R doesn't make sense. There are better cars (speed being irrelevant) that can offer a more exciting drive. The benefit of the GT-R is that you can go as fast as you want, and KNOW you can, while not ending up as a spectacular youtube video, and continue on your way to to work or home, or whatever...

Old 04-03-2014, 11:37 AM
Fantasma Is a GOD !Fantasma Is a GOD !Fantasma Is a GOD !Fantasma Is a GOD !Fantasma Is a GOD !Fantasma Is a GOD !Fantasma Is a GOD !Fantasma Is a GOD !Fantasma Is a GOD !Fantasma Is a GOD !Fantasma Is a GOD !
Forget the Gallardo.
Slow, old, beat up, interior will be complete shiat.
Transmission will suck no matter which type you get.

R8 or GTR and that depends on how fast you want to go and what you want people to think of you as you drive.

R8 go fast mods are sparce, its an NA engine - so whatever.
R8 will have a better "look" to it to your neighbors.

GTR is fastest of all 3 stock, mods are easy and cheap for even faster.
GTR is just 1 step below the R8 in terms of looking rich/fancy.

Personally, I would get the GTR cause I need to go faster even though I still value my neighbors and girls drooling.

Old 04-03-2014, 11:38 AM
rseven has much to be proud ofrseven has much to be proud ofrseven has much to be proud ofrseven has much to be proud ofrseven has much to be proud ofrseven has much to be proud ofrseven has much to be proud ofrseven has much to be proud ofrseven has much to be proud ofrseven has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by teflon_jones

I've always been impressed with the capabilities/performance of the GTR, but I have a problem spending that much on a Nissan.

To each their own. But, a car that is capable of matching, and often beating, its competition (priced twice as much, at times) sounds like a bargain to me. I guess I just have a different mindset, as I'm just a enthusiast that holds no biases based on origin of a vehicle. If it can hold its own against its competitors, then it's ok by me.

Last edited by rseven; 04-03-2014 at 02:13 PM.
Old 04-03-2014, 12:16 PM
sideWays_swe is a jewel in the roughsideWays_swe is a jewel in the roughsideWays_swe is a jewel in the rough
I would not consider the gallardo 04-05 if i would choose between these cars. The first gen gallardo feels VERY old compared to the other two. And its alot slower than a r8 v10 or a GT-R.

Old 04-03-2014, 12:24 PM
Originally Posted by sideWays_swe
I would not consider the gallardo 04-05 if i would choose between these cars. The first gen gallardo feels VERY old compared to the other two. And its alot slower than a r8 v10 or a GT-R.
I think the R8V10 would cost a little more than what the OP's requested range. He is pretty much relegated to the V8. That drops the acceleration portion of the performance considerably.

Old 04-03-2014, 01:28 PM
locus has a reputation beyond reputelocus has a reputation beyond reputelocus has a reputation beyond reputelocus has a reputation beyond reputelocus has a reputation beyond reputelocus has a reputation beyond reputelocus has a reputation beyond reputelocus has a reputation beyond reputelocus has a reputation beyond reputelocus has a reputation beyond reputelocus has a reputation beyond repute
I was on your situation a couple of months ago and ended up getting a GT-R.
For just look, I love way R8 looks but I will not pick up V8 R8.
If I get an R8 it will be either FI V8 or V10 model.
I used to have a 997.1TT with just ECU tune and exhaust and it's way faster than V8 R8.
Actually it is probably faster than V10 R8.
For Lambo, if I pick up one it will be LP-560 (unless you find a 6spd Gallardo for earlier models).
GT-R is a great car but then again I want to get another 997TT.
Have any thought on 997TT?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: What next..GTR, R8, Gallardo