Other Japanese Supercars Toyota Supra, Honda NSX, Mazda RX-7 etc.

Nsx reliability?

Old 11-26-2008, 04:31 PM
herzog racing is on a distinguished road
Nsx reliability?

I was told today by someone that the nsx is a very high maintenance car and expensive to replace parts. I always thought that it was very reliable and low maintenance. I was looking to get one in spring but now I don't know what to think. He was saying that timing belts broke and were very expensive to replace and stuff like that.
Thanks

Old 11-26-2008, 10:50 PM
GSlider is a name known to allGSlider is a name known to allGSlider is a name known to allGSlider is a name known to allGSlider is a name known to allGSlider is a name known to all
It all depends on who you talk to. I have friends' that ahve been running NSX's for years and their no more to repair than my ITR was. When you get into the t-belt, water pump, etc they will be expensive to replace if you have the dealer do it. Find yourself a clean, well taken care of NSX to start with and you shouldn't have any problems. Check out NSX Prime. The gentleman on that sight are very professional and will help you with whatever you need.

http://www.nsxprime.com

Old 11-27-2008, 01:50 PM
This page made me a little happier
http://www.nsxprime.com/FAQ/Maintenance/timing_belt.htm

Last edited by herzog racing; 11-27-2008 at 01:53 PM.
Old 11-27-2008, 11:55 PM
doccao will become famous soon enough
Mine has 150K miles and runs like a champ. Just passed a compression and leak down test with flying colors. IF you don't mod the car, then it's costs the same as an Accord to maintain.

Old 11-29-2008, 02:10 AM
DrVolkl has a brilliant futureDrVolkl has a brilliant futureDrVolkl has a brilliant futureDrVolkl has a brilliant futureDrVolkl has a brilliant futureDrVolkl has a brilliant futureDrVolkl has a brilliant futureDrVolkl has a brilliant futureDrVolkl has a brilliant futureDrVolkl has a brilliant futureDrVolkl has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by herzog racing
I was told today by someone that the nsx is a very high maintenance car and expensive to replace parts. I always thought that it was very reliable and low maintenance. I was looking to get one in spring but now I don't know what to think. He was saying that timing belts broke and were very expensive to replace and stuff like that.
Thanks
Cheapest, most reliable exotic you can buy. Expensive compared to an Integra perhaps. People forget that these cars were ~$70k new and get upset when parts cost more and you can't find everything you need off craigslist.

Old 11-30-2008, 12:12 AM
LamboRick is on a distinguished road
It's an old Honda, bro. That right there should tell it's going to be a lot more bullet-proof than 90% of any other exotic as long as you take care of it.

Old 12-01-2008, 09:19 AM
6speedkaz will become famous soon enough6speedkaz will become famous soon enough
if you do the proper maintence and as others said... start off with a good example (nothing under $30,000 IMO) you will be fine.

I would also stay away from 91-92's if possible

Old 12-01-2008, 11:27 PM
Originally Posted by 6speedkaz
if you do the proper maintence and as others said... start off with a good example (nothing under $30,000 IMO) you will be fine.

I would also stay away from 91-92's if possible
I was looking at a 91 with 50k for $25,000 everything was in order except the radio. How are the 91-92's different. I have seen the nsx market shoot back up these last 2 months because I keep track of just about everyone on autotrader, ebay, and nsx prime. The one for 25k was for sale 3 month's ago
not sure if this is fake but 30k
http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.js...0&cardist=1939

Last edited by herzog racing; 12-01-2008 at 11:43 PM.
Old 12-02-2008, 09:14 PM
calteg is on a distinguished road
It was often touted as "the daily drivable supercar." I'd trust a 10 year old NSX over a 5 year old benz

Old 12-03-2008, 09:40 PM
I just see these for sale threads that owners say they have put 20k into and are still stock as can be engine wise

Old 12-04-2008, 01:14 AM
KhanNSX has much to be proud ofKhanNSX has much to be proud ofKhanNSX has much to be proud ofKhanNSX has much to be proud ofKhanNSX has much to be proud ofKhanNSX has much to be proud ofKhanNSX has much to be proud ofKhanNSX has much to be proud ofKhanNSX has much to be proud ofKhanNSX has much to be proud of
I just see these for sale threads that owners say they have put 20k into and are still stock as can be engine wise
That makes no sense. But who knows where they bought the cars, and what condition they are in. A lot of guys buy them a bit beat up on purpose(to save $), then over time, basically renovate them to their original glory. That is my only explanation for what you are stating.

Other then that, these are very reliable cars. Other then normal maintenance expense, these cars are pretty easy on the pocket. There are little issues, but by this point in time, most of those should have already been addressed by previous owners. Just make sure you get one that has been well documented, or at least shows an owner that has taken good care of their car(like any car), and you should be a happy NSX owner.

Old 12-04-2008, 02:24 AM
MotorsportsR is a splendid one to beholdMotorsportsR is a splendid one to beholdMotorsportsR is a splendid one to beholdMotorsportsR is a splendid one to beholdMotorsportsR is a splendid one to beholdMotorsportsR is a splendid one to beholdMotorsportsR is a splendid one to behold
I have not seen a timming belt break under 5 years or 90K miles but if that happens it will be a costly fix. NSX are usually as reliable as a Honda Civic, I have seen them with 200K+ miles and running strong. Common problem area, Cams Seals, Cams plugs, window regulators, Vtec solenoid o rings, broken inside door handles, and A/C Evaporator(not too many but is a costly fix). On maintenance it is always a good idea to check valves clearance at least once every 30K miles after the first 15K. When replacing t belt always replace Water pump, tensioner and tensioner bearings.

. I
Thanks

Old 12-04-2008, 09:42 AM
Originally Posted by MotorsportsR
I have not seen a timming belt break under 5 years or 90K miles but if that happens it will be a costly fix. NSX are usually as reliable as a Honda Civic, I have seen them with 200K+ miles and running strong. Common problem area, Cams Seals, Cams plugs, window regulators, Vtec solenoid o rings, broken inside door handles, and A/C Evaporator(not too many but is a costly fix). On maintenance it is always a good idea to check valves clearance at least once every 30K miles after the first 15K. When replacing t belt always replace Water pump, tensioner and tensioner bearings.

. I
I am now looking at even if I have to replace those parts it will still be worth it because the car holdes value.
How much would the above cost to replace?

Old 12-05-2008, 01:35 AM
MotorsportsR is a splendid one to beholdMotorsportsR is a splendid one to beholdMotorsportsR is a splendid one to beholdMotorsportsR is a splendid one to beholdMotorsportsR is a splendid one to beholdMotorsportsR is a splendid one to beholdMotorsportsR is a splendid one to behold
On Cam plugs and Vtech Solenoid 0 rings it is mostly labor. Window regulator and door handle there is a cheap fix (go to other NSX forum and you should find those parts) Evaporator I think is around $500-600 but labor is 6-10 hours. Timing belt and parts should be around $1500 for parts and labor at your local dealer. I am sure you can find a good qualify shop to replace all these at a fraction of the cost.

I am now looking at even if I have to replace those parts it will still be worth it because the car holdes value.
How much would the above cost to replace?

Old 12-05-2008, 09:46 AM
Originally Posted by MotorsportsR
On Cam plugs and Vtech Solenoid 0 rings it is mostly labor. Window regulator and door handle there is a cheap fix (go to other NSX forum and you should find those parts) Evaporator I think is around $500-600 but labor is 6-10 hours. Timing belt and parts should be around $1500 for parts and labor at your local dealer. I am sure you can find a good qualify shop to replace all these at a fraction of the cost.
yeah if thats all then It's more than worth it. I don't see the nsx going down in value anytime soon. so now I think I will make the right choice this spring. Other pics were e55, 996t, and m5.
Anyways thanks for the input guys

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Nsx reliability?