Other Japanese Supercars Toyota Supra, Honda NSX, Mazda RX-7 etc.

Best platform(car) to stuff a RB26DETT in ?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-13-2010, 09:54 AM
JesusFast is a jewel in the roughJesusFast is a jewel in the roughJesusFast is a jewel in the rough
to put a RB in a 240sx is about 10K and its not that hard.

RB26dett
RB25 trans
custom drive shafts and what not.

you can do it man, i have faith.

Old 08-26-2010, 09:43 AM
evodecal is on a distinguished road
240 would be best

Old 08-28-2010, 04:04 PM
usafdarkhorse is a name known to allusafdarkhorse is a name known to allusafdarkhorse is a name known to allusafdarkhorse is a name known to allusafdarkhorse is a name known to allusafdarkhorse is a name known to all
Originally Posted by unvmy996
Thank you for the reply , some good info here . do you have any links that for the companies that make all those things for the swap?

is there any other platform out there that ideal?

so with the RB25 , basicly they swap them in , sinstead of the RB26 becuase , they do not plan on using it for AWD , and since thats the case , its not worth it to spend the extra loot to stuff the RB 26 in there ?
McKinney Motorsports

http://www.mckinneymotorsports.com/p...260+280Z+parts

I saw an RB26 240Z last weekend. It was a very nice car, and it's been plastered all over the internet, but it's not really my cup o tea ( maybe I'm just jealous! ). I think something is lost in translation. My ideal Z car I want to track in the future would be a 240Z with a hot L28 triple mikuni carb'd.

I've seen RBs in 300ZXs. I think that's a pretty clever swap because the original VG engine is incredibly hard to work on space-wise.

The RB25 is cheaper than the RB26 to swap. Much easier to find and the tranny you would need already comes with the engine. Good luck finding an RB26 newer than late R32, early R33. People opt for the RB26 for the "wow" factor, but it's been done before.

My personal opinion? The S30Z, the 240Z in particular, just can't withstand the power output that would justify an RB26, or even an RB25. Unless you out and out tubed the car, it would be a powertrain looking for a chassis. These cars are getting old and tired.

Old 09-01-2010, 08:51 AM
Tireboi is on a distinguished road
my vote is 240 parts are all over the place however parts for the motor are harder and more expensive to find.

Old 09-01-2010, 09:12 AM
split is infamous around these partssplit is infamous around these partssplit is infamous around these partssplit is infamous around these parts

Old 05-18-2011, 01:19 AM
xicema17x will become famous soon enough
+1 for 240z.

There are actually plenty of alternatives for doing the swap. Im doing the swap in my 71 240z right now using mckinney motorsport mounts and fabbing the other stuff, like fuel setup, intercooler, and radiator stuff. The shop actually has pretty much everything shop made for the whole swap, but im not ballin enough to afford all that. Lol. I'll try to get some pix up soon.

Old 05-19-2011, 12:24 AM
B.King is on a distinguished road
Datsun 510

Old 06-17-2011, 10:42 PM
GSlider is a name known to allGSlider is a name known to allGSlider is a name known to allGSlider is a name known to allGSlider is a name known to allGSlider is a name known to all
Id like to see one in an S2k. The 2JZ swap is over done and nobody plays with the RB.

Old 06-18-2011, 02:00 PM
PennywiseG35S is on a distinguished road
Put it in a BMW E36 M3, great handling platform.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OiPsQ...eature=related

Last edited by PennywiseG35S; 06-18-2011 at 02:03 PM.
Old 06-28-2011, 10:28 PM
signalpuke is on a distinguished road
I wouldn't swap it in anything unless you have the budget to do it twice over. The motor has been discontinued for some time now, and there was never dealer support for it in the USA. If cost is going to be a factor in the decision making process, go with a different motor.

As far as fitment, I recommend a chassis that either came with an I6, or has a long nose (datsun/nissan, bmw, mazda, jag).

The FD RX7 chassis is a good example of a long nose chassis that does not fit I6 motors well. The 2JZ swap required a custom hood and the rear of the motor only has about an inch of space between the valve cover and the firewall. The Honda S2000 is an even poorer choice, as the transmission tunnel needs to be beat out.

If you are serious about doing a swap like this, go with a chassis that has a lot of support, has been swapped before, and a reliable motor. Otherwise just open your wallet.

Old 09-07-2011, 03:57 PM
MIX
MIX is on a distinguished road
The RB26 and 2JZ engine are only useful in the chassis' they were originally designed for. The heavy iron block simply deters handling capabilities of swapped chassis. (e.g. Nissan 240). Unless you are only building the car for big power and straight line racing, this swap is not for you.

Although I am bias to Japanese cars, I would advise you, if you are dead set on doing a swap, to go with an GM LS motor. The all aluminum design will save you close to 200 pounds over the iron block, you be able to make all the power you are looking for and your handling characteristics will stay in check. Also, I believe that the LS motors are able to sit lower in the engine bay, enabling a lower center of gravity in the front of your car.

Old 09-07-2011, 04:37 PM
PennywiseG35S is on a distinguished road
The 1996-1999 E36 BMW M3 came from the factory with a iron block inline six and the handling is pretty kickass stock, not to mention a ton of aftermarket components for the chasis.

Old 09-08-2011, 10:27 PM
HowlerMonkey is infamous around these partsHowlerMonkey is infamous around these partsHowlerMonkey is infamous around these parts
What's wrong with a nissan engine in a nissan car?

Old 09-15-2011, 03:17 AM
signalpuke is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by MIX
The RB26 and 2JZ engine are only useful in the chassis' they were originally designed for. The heavy iron block simply deters handling capabilities of swapped chassis. (e.g. Nissan 240). Unless you are only building the car for big power and straight line racing, this swap is not for you.

Although I am bias to Japanese cars, I would advise you, if you are dead set on doing a swap, to go with an GM LS motor. The all aluminum design will save you close to 200 pounds over the iron block, you be able to make all the power you are looking for and your handling characteristics will stay in check. Also, I believe that the LS motors are able to sit lower in the engine bay, enabling a lower center of gravity in the front of your car.
Have you driven a 240 or RX7 with a 2JZ in them? I have. No need to bench race, the chassis handle just fine.
Originally Posted by HowlerMonkey
What's wrong with a nissan engine in a nissan car?
Nothing. The problem is the engine in question was never offered in the US, has no dealer support, and typical dealer support usually lasts 10 years for a part...it has been 10 years since that motor was sold in Japan. Make sense?

Old 09-16-2011, 01:52 AM
Doug118 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by PennywiseG35S
The 1996-1999 E36 BMW M3 came from the factory with a iron block inline six and the handling is pretty kickass stock, not to mention a ton of aftermarket components for the chasis.
Building a S52 will be MUCHHH better then the RB25/26. Put a later model M3 swap into an early 90's 3 series (E30), build it and turbo it. You'll be much happier then doing any RB swap. They are a constant headache if you don't have contacts in Japan and know the ins and outs of the engine and trans

The best RB swap I've ever seen was in a Miata

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Best platform(car) to stuff a RB26DETT in ?