Other Japanese Supercars Toyota Supra, Honda NSX, Mazda RX-7 etc.

My 1989 Nissan Skyline GT-R

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-21-2013, 07:43 AM
02black330ci Is a GOD !02black330ci Is a GOD !02black330ci Is a GOD !02black330ci Is a GOD !02black330ci Is a GOD !02black330ci Is a GOD !02black330ci Is a GOD !02black330ci Is a GOD !02black330ci Is a GOD !02black330ci Is a GOD !02black330ci Is a GOD !
Man, another great legendary car! I would take any of them, R32, 33, or 34!!!

I had no idea about this though:

the NHTSA and DOT 25 year exemption is rapidly approaching for the earliest R32 GT-Rs

This gives me hope to one day actually own such icon!

Old 06-21-2013, 11:07 AM
Sburke is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Tom@Champion
The person who imported this one just imported two others, both NISMO editions. I believe that one of them might still be for sale. PM me your contact info and I'll pass it along to him. I think he was asking $25k for the car. It was in GREAT condition too. If it's still available, it's a great car!

This one is fully legal, registered, titled, has all the NHTSA paperwork, and 100% legit. It can't be confiscated.

I though that wasn't possible? Besides it being state titled....

Old 06-21-2013, 11:24 AM
Former Vendor
Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Sburke
I though that wasn't possible? Besides it being state titled....
There is a rule called Show and Display which allows cars of certain historical or technological significance to be imported legally under certain guidelines.

http://www.nhtsa.gov/cars/rules/impo...osd072003.html

Basically because the car I have here, and the others that he has imported, are limited Edition Nismo cars that were built for homologation purposes (Group A racing), they have certain historical racing significance which allows them to be imported under the show and display ruling.

This is the same way people have import 959 Porsches, and other rare Euro cars.

If you want to get it done, this is the guy to talk to. He may still have the other R32 GTR that was just brought over...

http://www.showordisplay.com/

Old 06-21-2013, 05:17 PM
wouldyalookatit?! is on a distinguished road
One day I'll have an old Skyline like this

Old 06-21-2013, 06:53 PM
Sburke is on a distinguished road
There is a rule called Show and Display which allows cars of certain historical or technological significance to be imported legally under certain guidelines.

http://www.nhtsa.gov/cars/rules/impo...osd072003.html

Basically because the car I have here, and the others that he has imported, are limited Edition Nismo cars that were built for homologation purposes (Group A racing), they have certain historical racing significance which allows them to be imported under the show and display ruling.

This is the same way people have import 959 Porsches, and other rare Euro cars.

If you want to get it done, this is the guy to talk to. He may still have the other R32 GTR that was just brought over...

http://www.showordisplay.com/
Pretty much can't drive it though..

Old 06-22-2013, 04:34 AM
usafdarkhorse is a name known to allusafdarkhorse is a name known to allusafdarkhorse is a name known to allusafdarkhorse is a name known to allusafdarkhorse is a name known to allusafdarkhorse is a name known to all
Originally Posted by Searcher
Very nice....I would love to import one of my own....
You will be able to here soon. Just be very scrupulous in the car you're looking to buy.

Originally Posted by vividracing2
I spent the last 7 years in Japan. Had a blast. I remember Daikoku Futo and the Wangan. My only regret was not getting a license. Nice car by the way. I'm really jealous.
Thanks! If it weren't for the rain, I would be at Daikoku tonight.

Originally Posted by medici78
Congrats. The Skyline GT-R is a hell of a car. I had a Motorex R33 GT-R but I actually prefer the R32.
Nice! I also prefer the R32 even though there's a number of good R33 GT-Rs running around here.

Awesome car...looks familiar. I get to play with this little beauty every day. Just finished tuning the standalone and tweaking the NISMO Group A AWD controller. It's a 1994 NISMO R32...one of 500 made. Running full R34 drivetrain, Getrag 6 speed tranny, R35 brakes, fully built motor, and tons of other stuff. She's making 590 to all four wheels at the moment.
Cool car. 1994? All nismos were 1990 (except for the 60 made in 1989 as mules) and gunmetal grey.
I would have guessed this was one of the Motorex cars because of the color and the lack of the rear nismo trunk lip.

I know the documents I will need to have to bring the car into the country complying with NHTSA, EPA, CBP, etc and most of it is being brokered via military transportation. It will be easy so long as it is sometime in October 2014 or later.

Originally Posted by jaspergtr
Nonsense. A GT-R is a GT-R. I think you only see more of the R35 discussion because, until recently, it wasn't a globally marketed car.

Your car is awesome! I'm glad you get to enjoy an older model. They were definitely a lot of fun.
Thanks!

Originally Posted by 02black330ci
Man, another great legendary car! I would take any of them, R32, 33, or 34!!!

I had no idea about this though:

the NHTSA and DOT 25 year exemption is rapidly approaching for the earliest R32 GT-Rs

This gives me hope to one day actually own such icon!
It's possible.

I know Sean Morris had been waiting nearly a year for the Show or Display deal for the nismo version, but it's pretty much null at this point as there's just over a year left before the August 1989 cars become legal. There's also not enough of a difference between the nismo car and the base GT-R to warrant buying a nismo, especially under a restricted clause.

Old 06-24-2013, 07:18 AM
Former Vendor
Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Sburke
Pretty much can't drive it though..
According to the rule, you can drive it 2500 miles per year.

But this car is fully titled and state registered here in Florida, so as far as any traffic cops are concerned it's just like any other car. It has all the necessary documentation to be driven just like any other car, including the NHTSA docs.

Besides, in another year or two it won't matter...

Old 06-24-2013, 08:04 AM
jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !

Besides, in another year or two it won't matter...
I wonder how many we'll see at that time.

Old 07-24-2013, 02:02 AM
spiderman is a splendid one to beholdspiderman is a splendid one to beholdspiderman is a splendid one to beholdspiderman is a splendid one to beholdspiderman is a splendid one to beholdspiderman is a splendid one to beholdspiderman is a splendid one to behold
Nice car OP! I just left Japan (was stationed in Yokosuka for about two years) and had to sell my 92. I looked all over for some kind of loophole to be able to bring it back, there just isn't (a legal) one.

Took this pic the day I sold it.

It's nice how cheap they are over there, too bad it won't be that way when they start importing them to the states!

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	aHQAVh9.jpg
Views:	1090
Size:	194.3 KB
ID:	263904  
Old 07-27-2013, 05:46 AM
usafdarkhorse is a name known to allusafdarkhorse is a name known to allusafdarkhorse is a name known to allusafdarkhorse is a name known to allusafdarkhorse is a name known to allusafdarkhorse is a name known to all
Originally Posted by jaspergtr
I wonder how many we'll see at that time.
Originally Posted by spiderman
Nice car OP! I just left Japan (was stationed in Yokosuka for about two years) and had to sell my 92. I looked all over for some kind of loophole to be able to bring it back, there just isn't (a legal) one.

Took this pic the day I sold it.

It's nice how cheap they are over there, too bad it won't be that way when they start importing them to the states!
Nice! Would you happen to be a member over on nicoclub? I'm over there under the same username.

I'm not really sure exactly how the market will be when there's a number of cars in the US. They won't exactly flood the market with the legality coming month by month, but after a few years I'd expect there to be several hundred if not close to a thousand cars. Service members bringing them home will account for a number of those alone, and many will be in disrepair/suffer from rust.

My guess is that the price for a decent car will settle in the low 20s range which will definitely hurt Motorex'd cars' values but the availability of some grey-market GT-Rs will still have young, cash-strapped kids going that route like they currently do.

I'm not going to delve into figuring out the market because I don't plan on selling the car however.

Old 08-05-2013, 01:04 AM
spiderman is a splendid one to beholdspiderman is a splendid one to beholdspiderman is a splendid one to beholdspiderman is a splendid one to beholdspiderman is a splendid one to beholdspiderman is a splendid one to beholdspiderman is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by usafdarkhorse
Nice! Would you happen to be a member over on nicoclub? I'm over there under the same username.

I'm not really sure exactly how the market will be when there's a number of cars in the US. They won't exactly flood the market with the legality coming month by month, but after a few years I'd expect there to be several hundred if not close to a thousand cars. Service members bringing them home will account for a number of those alone, and many will be in disrepair/suffer from rust.

My guess is that the price for a decent car will settle in the low 20s range which will definitely hurt Motorex'd cars' values but the availability of some grey-market GT-Rs will still have young, cash-strapped kids going that route like they currently do.

I'm not going to delve into figuring out the market because I don't plan on selling the car however.
No, I'm not a member. I have accounts on a few GT-R forums but haven't been to any of them in a while, especially since I sold the car.

Yea, if I get stationed over there again, I'll probably try and bring something back with me. I missed that car by a few years, hopefully the guy I sold it to will be able to bring it back.

Old 09-05-2013, 08:05 PM
di3s3l_power is on a distinguished road
Japanese old school

Old 09-09-2013, 09:40 AM
3cyltrbo is on a distinguished road
this thread is brimming with Skyline goodness

Old 10-03-2013, 05:05 PM
sevenways is on a distinguished road
That is a Beautiful car, im in search for one!

Old 10-04-2013, 09:39 AM
oz923 is on a distinguished road
sweet ride! using collectors car insurance?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: My 1989 Nissan Skyline GT-R