Panamera The 4-dour coupe by Porsche
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

anyone get a flat tire yet and . . . . .

Old 03-15-2011, 09:46 PM
RobertM is a glorious beacon of lightRobertM is a glorious beacon of lightRobertM is a glorious beacon of lightRobertM is a glorious beacon of lightRobertM is a glorious beacon of light
Question anyone get a flat tire yet and . . . . .

Again, I am concerned with getting a flat with a Panni and the tire is in such bad shape that it can not be inflated with the gel that is given to fix a flat.

I have a bad feeling about having a flat and not having a spare to have SOMEONE else put it on.

And having on a rim and a tire with NO sidewall = a very expensive day.

I am curious if anyone has actually had an issue . . . and had to call a tow truck and they had to flat bed the car to the dealership. Was the rim on the wheel damanaged when they pulled the car on the flatbed with the rim on the street and then on the metal flatbad ???

If I get a Panni, I will be putting on 21 or 22" wheels and without run flat tires.

Funny thing, I was at a dealership yesterday LOOKING at a Panni and opened the rear hatch and opened the cover ONLY TO FIND a Bose amp. The salesman, stated WOW what a stereo system, I asked is there a spare tire, of couse there should be. Well Lets look " I stated" he looked and looked and said " Well NO, I dont think there is . . . . . . NO ONE has EVER asked that question before, I guess we all thought it would. ME too - I replied.

Can you get one as a option . . . Oh let me see, oh no . . . are those run flat tires . . . oh no . . . . . .

That makes no sense said the salesman. EXACLTY I stated. Now what ???

How do we get the word back to Porsche that it makes NO sense that there is NO spare and the car does not even come with run flats.

Is there a way to contact Porsche North America and express our concerns

I can see it now:
Well, I got a flat, I want a new wheel . . . . . I will pay for the tire, But I want Porsche to fix or replace my wheel..

Let that happen a couple of times and you will see how fast the bose amp becomes a donut for a spare.

Last edited by RobertM; 03-15-2011 at 09:50 PM.
Old 03-16-2011, 10:16 AM
Fkim011 has a brilliant futureFkim011 has a brilliant futureFkim011 has a brilliant futureFkim011 has a brilliant futureFkim011 has a brilliant futureFkim011 has a brilliant futureFkim011 has a brilliant futureFkim011 has a brilliant futureFkim011 has a brilliant futureFkim011 has a brilliant futureFkim011 has a brilliant future
Well the car wasn't mine, but it was my fathers. He had his car about a week and experiences a slow leak on his passenger rear tire. Tire rack had not received shipment of the OEM spec tire and the second problem was the size.

No one had produced a run flat tire that size for some reason and if they did, it was unavailable. My father got lucky and found a local dealership who just happened to have one in stock from a shipment they received.

IT baffles me that there is no spare in order to save weight, ect...I rather have my donut please and if it doesn't come with one, I wish there was an option to be able to request for one.

Old 03-16-2011, 02:18 PM
ophtho has a spectacular aura aboutophtho has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by RobertM
Again, I am concerned with getting a flat with a Panni and the tire is in such bad shape that it can not be inflated with the gel that is given to fix a flat.

I have a bad feeling about having a flat and not having a spare to have SOMEONE else put it on.

And having on a rim and a tire with NO sidewall = a very expensive day.

I am curious if anyone has actually had an issue . . . and had to call a tow truck and they had to flat bed the car to the dealership. Was the rim on the wheel damanaged when they pulled the car on the flatbed with the rim on the street and then on the metal flatbad ???

If I get a Panni, I will be putting on 21 or 22" wheels and without run flat tires.

Funny thing, I was at a dealership yesterday LOOKING at a Panni and opened the rear hatch and opened the cover ONLY TO FIND a Bose amp. The salesman, stated WOW what a stereo system, I asked is there a spare tire, of couse there should be. Well Lets look " I stated" he looked and looked and said " Well NO, I dont think there is . . . . . . NO ONE has EVER asked that question before, I guess we all thought it would. ME too - I replied.

Can you get one as a option . . . Oh let me see, oh no . . . are those run flat tires . . . oh no . . . . . .

That makes no sense said the salesman. EXACLTY I stated. Now what ???

How do we get the word back to Porsche that it makes NO sense that there is NO spare and the car does not even come with run flats.

Is there a way to contact Porsche North America and express our concerns

I can see it now:
Well, I got a flat, I want a new wheel . . . . . I will pay for the tire, But I want Porsche to fix or replace my wheel..

Let that happen a couple of times and you will see how fast the bose amp becomes a donut for a spare.
Dude, IT DOES NOT HAVE A SPARE! Makes no sense to me either but it is what it is. Get the tire & rim protection along with road side assist! Just picked up a 2011 Cayenne I'm about to go look and see if it has a spare. I didn't bother to ask about it!!! I'm stupid

Old 03-16-2011, 02:31 PM
Fkim011 has a brilliant futureFkim011 has a brilliant futureFkim011 has a brilliant futureFkim011 has a brilliant futureFkim011 has a brilliant futureFkim011 has a brilliant futureFkim011 has a brilliant futureFkim011 has a brilliant futureFkim011 has a brilliant futureFkim011 has a brilliant futureFkim011 has a brilliant future
What is crazy is, my fathers 2006 Cayenne Turbo S didn't have a spare. It had the seal kit and my 2010 GTS has a donut with a jack.

I guess I lucked out?

Old 03-16-2011, 03:07 PM
ophtho has a spectacular aura aboutophtho has a spectacular aura about
Thumbs down

Originally Posted by Fkim011
What is crazy is, my fathers 2006 Cayenne Turbo S didn't have a spare. It had the seal kit and my 2010 GTS has a donut with a jack.

I guess I lucked out?
2011 has a donut and a jack. But the donut looks flat too me. Guess you have to pump it up. smh

Old 03-16-2011, 03:26 PM
Targa Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond repute
some early built Cayennes don't have spares as they have a second battery in the trunk.

strange that an 06 CTTS doesn't have spare though?!

yes, need to pump the spare up to use, but very easy, as the air suspension works perfectly as a tire pump.

Old 03-19-2011, 04:48 PM
RobertM is a glorious beacon of lightRobertM is a glorious beacon of lightRobertM is a glorious beacon of lightRobertM is a glorious beacon of lightRobertM is a glorious beacon of light
does Porsche have a website for owners to send them your comments ???

Old 03-19-2011, 06:44 PM
TheRox has a spectacular aura aboutTheRox has a spectacular aura aboutTheRox has a spectacular aura about
Trust me you don't want RFT. Since I realized the Panny doesn't have RFT and has no spare, I'm actually going to ditch the RFT on the BMW too.

Just try your luck with the tire foam gel and pump...the problem is, whoever is tasked with replacing your tire once that foam gel is in the punctured tire...has their work cut out for them, it is a pain!!!

Anyways, Dunno about you guys down there, but I'm not too worried about not having a spare.

But yea, RFT are horrible...really rough ride, noisy, and expensive. Also feels like a bomb went off over potholes.

For a luxury GT car, the Panamera is stiff enough, doesn't need to be stiffer.

Old 04-03-2011, 08:33 PM
just curious if anyone had an issue since the last post ??? I am trying to understand the what if . . . . . . .

Old 04-03-2011, 10:27 PM
wa1l1in is a glorious beacon of lightwa1l1in is a glorious beacon of lightwa1l1in is a glorious beacon of lightwa1l1in is a glorious beacon of lightwa1l1in is a glorious beacon of lightwa1l1in is a glorious beacon of light
spare in cayenne, not the hybrid.

pana no spares at all.. they expect you to buy another wheel+tire and put it in the back in a tote.. same solution they have for the 911's, suggest putting it in back seat.. some buy the euro collapsable spare and put it in the frunk.

Old 04-04-2011, 07:41 AM
I wonder if anyone from PNA evers jumps on the boards to see what we want in their cars. AHHHHH, having a spare tire might be one of them, especially for a daily driver. I still can not believe that this car does not come with a spare. it is like designing a house and not including a washer and dryer area or a area for the ac closet. OPPPS we forgot it.

just wait to a owner gets a flat and they drag the car on the flatbed and trash the rim and now you need a tire and a wheel.

Old 04-04-2011, 08:53 AM
jmmk is a name known to alljmmk is a name known to alljmmk is a name known to alljmmk is a name known to alljmmk is a name known to alljmmk is a name known to all
Has no one looked back there? Mine has a Burmeister stereo amp, a tool box, an air pump, etc. where the spare would have to go. And what size spare could you make room for? The Turbo has different wheels (minimum size) than the others so you would have to engineer for the bigger wheels. Also, look at the width of the tires. I know the donut would be narrower, but the takeoff flat would completely fill the luggage area. If the floor had been engineered higher to allow for the spare, the takeoff may not have fit.

This is a performance car, a luxury car, and a practical daily driver. Some compromises were made in a tradeoff between these parameters.

For the truly "but, what if" paranoid out there, why not have two spares in case you get two flats? Or three?

I'm old enough to remember when you nearly always needed a spare for a trip of a couple of hundred miles and a flat, in town, was at least a two or three time a year occurrence. Those days have passed. I have had many cars that never had a flat during all the time I owned them. This is a tribute to the advancement in tires. Sure, it happens, but not often enough to eliminate a nice-sounding stereo, a low center of gravity, a practical and usable luggage area or anything else that would have to be changed.

Old 04-04-2011, 09:30 AM
pmichaelis is on a distinguished road
I had a flat, in my driveway fortunately, and I'll tell you about a ancillary problem if you need one. The car drops so low that jacking it up at the jack points is (almost) impossible. I had to run an airline from my 5 hp compressor to the car and reinflate the tire. Then while the puncture was hissing away slip a jack under the car and jack it up. What would I have done on the road? Called for help and watch some clown try to lift it up or drag it onboard a flatbed?

Old 04-04-2011, 09:32 AM
still no excuse for a daily driver - IMHO. There is so much room in that car that they could have figured out a way for a donut spare.

I am just saying . . . . I will most likely get one, but I know that I always install after market wheels and it will be an expensive day on the what if . . . I had a brand new tires on the mercedes s550 with HRE's and got a flat. No problem. Call AAA, put on the donut . . . limp to the wheel shop and get a tire becuase there was NOTHING left of the sidewall of the low profile tire.

I still think it is a lame excuse PERIOD. Again, just my opinion.

Old 04-05-2011, 01:58 PM
GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by RobertM
still no excuse for a daily driver - IMHO. There is so much room in that car that they could have figured out a way for a donut spare.

I am just saying . . . . I will most likely get one, but I know that I always install after market wheels and it will be an expensive day on the what if . . . I had a brand new tires on the mercedes s550 with HRE's and got a flat. No problem. Call AAA, put on the donut . . . limp to the wheel shop and get a tire becuase there was NOTHING left of the sidewall of the low profile tire.

I still think it is a lame excuse PERIOD. Again, just my opinion.
Totally agree.. My 996tt had a donut. I actually got a flat in the car with aftermarket wheels and that donut spare came in REAL handy. If they were able to fit it into the 996 trunk, I don't understand how they couldn't figure out a way to fit it into the 997 or the Panamera. Like you said, it's just a lame excuse..

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: anyone get a flat tire yet and . . . . .