Panamera The 4-dour coupe by Porsche
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Backup cameras backordered?

Old 06-13-2011, 09:40 AM
chu996c4 is on a distinguished road
Backup cameras backordered?

Picked up my 11 P4 on Thursday and the rear backup camera is "missing"
The housing is there, but no camera unit in the housing. apparently my dealership mentioned that an email went out saying that porsche had issues with the inventory of backup cameras due to the Earthquake or something, they are coming and releasing a list of VINs that were built and being delivered sans cameras...

Just wanted to see if anyone knew or knows the real story.

Old 06-13-2011, 12:47 PM
bwiele is a name known to allbwiele is a name known to allbwiele is a name known to allbwiele is a name known to allbwiele is a name known to allbwiele is a name known to all
I heard the same thing from my dealer about the backup cameras. They suggested a month wait for the camera guts...

Old 06-13-2011, 12:58 PM
dhh
dhh has a spectacular aura aboutdhh has a spectacular aura about
Yes - the Tsunami in Japan interrupted the supply chain for the cameras.

Cars are wired to be retrofitted at dealer

Old 06-13-2011, 01:01 PM
Thanks. I heard potentially months. I will update if u hear or see something different.

Old 06-14-2011, 09:08 PM
TexasJake is on a distinguished road
Panamera missing rear view cam

Hmmm, interesting. I just took delivery yesterday, park assist works but camera doesn't come up. Looks like there is a lens back there though. Could the camera be missing behind the lens?

Also no block to check on the "Car" setup to select the camera even though it is an option I purchased.

I called my salesman today, he is looking into it, maybe this is the answer...

Thanks for the post.

Old 06-15-2011, 06:27 AM
Yep. Same "symptoms" be interested to see what ur salesman says abt timing.

Old 06-25-2011, 01:33 PM
TexasJake is on a distinguished road
Info from PCNA on missing reverse cameras due to earthquake

OK, here's the full text from PCNA & my dealer on the missing camera;
  • Reversing camera temporarily inoperative on Porsche Cayenne and certain Porsche Panamera models
  • We wish to update you on the availability of the reversing camera for Porsche Cayenne vehicles and certain Porsche Panamera vehicles. The reversing camera presently cannot be installed fully (and therefore would be non-functioning), as one electronic component is temporarily unavailable because the earthquake and tsunami in Japan damaged a supplier's factory. This has created a severe world-wide parts shortage.
  • Therefore, the following options must be restricted until further notice:
Cayenne:
  • 7X8 "Reversing camera incl. front and rear ParkAssist" (7X9, Japan only)
Panamera:
  • 638 "Front and rear ParkAssist incl. reversing camera"
PLEASE NOTE: The Panamera Turbo and Panamera Turbo S models have front and rear ParkAssist including the reversing camera as standard equipment. Therefore, the very limited quantity of available components will be devoted to producing these vehicles, so long as supplies hold out.

PLEASE ALSO NOTE: The front and rear ParkAssist incl. reversing camera is a part of the Premium Plus package on Panamera, Panamera S, Panamera 4, and Panamera 4S models. Orders for the Premium Plus package will be accepted and built, including the reversing camera hardware, subject to the following.

Vehicles built since CW19/2011 (approximately May 6) with any of the reversing camera options DO HAVE the camera hardware, and it CAN BE AND WILL BE retrofitted to operate, but it WILL NOT operate at the time of new vehicle delivery.

Vehicles equipped with a temporarily inoperative reversing camera will have the following no-charge option in the option string, which will be shown on your invoice and on the vehicle's Monroney label: "ZNC - Camera Delayed Functionality"

I M P O R T A N T !

Only the reversing camera display in the PCM is deactivated. All other PCM functions are still available.

The ParkAssist function (graphic parking aid display and acoustic warning) is not restricted and can be used as described in the Owner's Manual.

PCNA will retrofit all vehicles built with the inoperative reversing camera. Once retrofitted with the proper electronic component and re-programmed, the reversing camera will function exactly as designed. We expect to be able to start our retrofit campaign by the end of October 2011. This retrofit campaign will be conducted exactly as any other service action: it will be at no charge to customers, and dealers will be reimbursed at warranty labor and parts rates.

By way of apology to customers whose vehicles are delivered with a non-functioning reversing camera (option code ZNC), PCNA will compensate those customers at the time the option is retrofitted. More details will follow.

U P D A T E :

Beginning in CW27/2011 (for Panameras) and CW30/2011 (for Cayennes), an additional solution will be available through the end of August with the following options:

Cayenne:
  • 7X7 "Reversing camera incl. front and rear ParkAssist" with reduced display
  • 7X8 "Reversing camera incl. front and rear ParkAssist" with deactivated display
Panamera:
  • 634 "Front and rear ParkAssist incl. reversing camera" with reduced display
  • 638 "Front and rear ParkAssist incl. reversing camera" with deactivated display

In a simplified version the video signal from the camera is connected directly to the screen of the PCM where the scope of the camera picture will be reduced. The result is an elliptically distorted presentation, or "fish-eye" effect. Additionally, the guide lines and driving advices are missing.

Both 7X7 and 634 will be offered at the same price as 7X8 and 638, respectively.

The retrofitting subsequent to the temporary solution with limited imaging (for vehicles built up to now without the control unit) is not currently available.

We regret any inconvenience caused and ask you to inform your customers accordingly. We appreciate your support and understanding.

AfterSales and Sales Operations

Old 06-25-2011, 10:04 PM
What does the CW 19 or 27 stand for? I assume build dates, but how do u find out what it build date or CW is?

Old 07-02-2011, 01:13 PM
d_amt_78 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by chu996c4
What does the CW 19 or 27 stand for? I assume build dates, but how do u find out what it build date or CW is?
I think it is Calender Week

Old 09-09-2011, 02:18 AM
jisuro is on a distinguished road
Any further update on availability of the retrofit?

Old 09-09-2011, 09:59 AM
T-Mac is a splendid one to beholdT-Mac is a splendid one to beholdT-Mac is a splendid one to beholdT-Mac is a splendid one to beholdT-Mac is a splendid one to beholdT-Mac is a splendid one to beholdT-Mac is a splendid one to beholdT-Mac is a splendid one to behold
I heard from my dealer "maybe" October???

Old 09-09-2011, 11:15 PM
Ballgie has a spectacular aura aboutBallgie has a spectacular aura about
Purchase my panni4 on July but still waiting back up camera computer chips. My dealer say could be 1-2 more months

Old 09-11-2011, 07:03 AM
jdhodge will become famous soon enoughjdhodge will become famous soon enough
I had a August build, picked up car yesterday and reversing camera is installed and works fine.

Old 09-11-2011, 09:05 AM
donfenn is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by jdhodge
I had a August build, picked up car yesterday and reversing camera is installed and works fine.
If you just got a new Panamera Turbo your car should have the camera:
From bulletin: "PLEASE NOTE: The Panamera Turbo and Panamera Turbo S models have front and rear ParkAssist including the reversing camera as standard equipment. Therefore, the very limited quantity of available components will be devoted to producing these vehicles, so long as supplies hold out"

Other cars, ordered with camera as an option, may not have the full system installed and parts may not be available until early/mid October.

Old 09-11-2011, 09:15 AM
jisuro is on a distinguished road
JD, is yours a Turbo?

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Backup cameras backordered?