Panamera The 4-dour coupe by Porsche
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The new M5, a real threat to the PTT, even PTTS?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-26-2011, 07:35 AM
kip
kip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to behold
The new M5, a real threat to the PTT, even PTTS?

C and D just tested the new M5. These are serious numbers: 0-60 3.7s, 0-100 8.3s, 0-150 18.3, 1/4 mile 12@122, the PTT was tested similarly: 3.5s, 8.6s, 21.4s, 11.9@117.

If this car ever gets awd, it will be a beast...

m5board.com/vbulletin/attachments/f10-m5-discussion/145105d1319572083-car-drivers-m5-cover-story-december-issue-c-d_f10-m5-4.jpg

Last edited by kip; 10-26-2011 at 08:30 AM.
Old 10-26-2011, 08:27 AM
catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !
The M5 is a serious machine but BMW is always a step behind Porsche imho.

Old 10-26-2011, 08:37 AM
Bruce_Wayne is on a distinguished road
122 trap is pretty good. This car is going to be very fast with basic bolt ons and tune. I can see a 130mph trap in the near future with just a re-tune, exhaust, intake (filters), and some good fuel. Very promising platform!
The biggest question I want answered is whether or not it will come with an AWD option. If this comes in AWD then I will seriously consider it as my next car. I think the Panamera is great but the fact that it is a legit sedan and not a hatch is enough to make me choose the M5 over the PTTS. Plus I bet it is cheaper.

Old 10-26-2011, 09:03 AM
catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Bruce_Wayne
If this comes in AWD then I will seriously consider it as my next car.

no AWD in the M5:

http://www.bmwblog.com/2011/10/21/albert-biermann-m-product-development-boss-no-awd-f10-m5-or-touring-model/

Old 10-26-2011, 09:06 AM
Bruce_Wayne is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by catchmyshadow
Thanks!
It will still be a great car. Just not for me due to climate and most likely lack of traction due to RWD once the power gets cranked up.

Old 10-26-2011, 10:10 AM
kip
kip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by Bruce_Wayne
Thanks!
It will still be a great car. Just not for me due to climate and most likely lack of traction due to RWD once the power gets cranked up.
Only AWD cars for me also. I dont get it, BMW and MB lose us AWD lovers. I dont get the point? RS models come so late that the new model is also arriving at the same time, unacceptable for me and so AUdi's are out of the question for me. Thanks Porsche for making AWD cars!

Old 10-26-2011, 10:38 AM
dhh
dhh has a spectacular aura aboutdhh has a spectacular aura about
M5 = Common

Old 10-26-2011, 12:52 PM
CT Audi Fan has a spectacular aura aboutCT Audi Fan has a spectacular aura about
Hard to imagine anyone legitimately cross-shopping these cars, particularly the M5 and PTTS. Power numbers are similar, but they are in a different league. AWD is a major consideration, but I couldn't imagine paying $110k for anything with an interior as bland as the M5. Let's face it, the creature comforts are important -- not just the technology, but feeling like you are sitting in something special. The M5 will be a great RWD sedan, possibly the best on the planet, but there is just nothing special looking about it. I'm sure I'll get flamed and yes, I realize performance is what matters to most people buying cars such as these, but ... you are only going to utilize that performance maybe 25% of the time you are driving, while you will be experiencing the interior (fit, finish, quality, technology, comfort, etc.) 100% of the time you are driving.

No contest.

Old 10-26-2011, 08:00 PM
JMC8 has much to be proud ofJMC8 has much to be proud ofJMC8 has much to be proud ofJMC8 has much to be proud ofJMC8 has much to be proud ofJMC8 has much to be proud ofJMC8 has much to be proud ofJMC8 has much to be proud of
performance numbers can be similar but M5 and PTTS are completely different animals and class.

Old 10-26-2011, 09:20 PM
dhh
dhh has a spectacular aura aboutdhh has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by JMC8
performance numbers can be similar but M5 and PTTS are completely different animals and class.
The easiest way to notice the difference is when parking with a valet.

last week I drove out of town for 3 days and the entire 3 day stay at a exclusive hotel my PTT was parked right in front of hotel with parking cones all around it - my S63 although similarly priced never got that treatment. It is the same everywhere.

The M5 and E63 although fast are just common cars

Old 10-27-2011, 12:29 AM
kip
Originally Posted by dhh
The easiest way to notice the difference is when parking with a valet.

last week I drove out of town for 3 days and the entire 3 day stay at a exclusive hotel my PTT was parked right in front of hotel with parking cones all around it - my S63 although similarly priced never got that treatment. It is the same everywhere.

The M5 and E63 although fast are just common cars
It is a bit different here in the country I live in. There are under 10 of these cars in the country and the PTT with options costs about 400000 US dollars and a similarly optioned M5 about 280000 US dollars. If you can get similar power for less, its good. So if the M5 gets AWD, with 5 seats it is high on my list of next cars. That said, it is going to take a lot for me t sell this car, its sooooo good. In these country, however, common is good...

Old 10-27-2011, 10:12 AM
Targa Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond repute
You guys are all too young.

M5 was the King of sport sedan for the longest time when it was offered in manual transmission only, no other sport sedans come close except the AMG E class.

Then the last M5 with SMG was a big disappointment, and PTT appeared and becomes the new King.

The whole purpose of PTT is to beat the M5, but not the other way around.

BTW, if M5 comes in AWD I'll be very tempted. Panamera's trunk is just way too small and it's lacking one rear seat.

Old 10-27-2011, 12:21 PM
K-E-V Is a GOD !K-E-V Is a GOD !K-E-V Is a GOD !K-E-V Is a GOD !K-E-V Is a GOD !K-E-V Is a GOD !K-E-V Is a GOD !K-E-V Is a GOD !K-E-V Is a GOD !K-E-V Is a GOD !K-E-V Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Targa Tim
You guys are all too young.

M5 was the King of sport sedan for the longest time when it was offered in manual transmission only, no other sport sedans come close except the AMG E class.

Then the last M5 with SMG was a big disappointment, and PTT appeared and becomes the new King.

The whole purpose of PTT is to beat the M5, but not the other way around.

BTW, if M5 comes in AWD I'll be very tempted. Panamera's trunk is just way too small and it's lacking one rear seat.
The last M5 also is a 4-seater.

Old 10-27-2011, 12:28 PM
zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !
Because of the 50k in savings over the PTT or 80k in savings over the PTTS, it must be considered a great option. The main thing for me is not AWD since I live in SD, but the feel of the ride. The M5 feels like a regular sedan when driven normally but the PTT feels so smooth and cushy when driven softly and can turn into a sports car at the same time. The panny does this without giving up anything. I have never experienced something so luxurious and sporty in one pkg. In terms of looks it is very polarizing, hate it or love it, but it does get a lot of attention. When I got one as a loaner I was getting more looks then just about anything else. In terms of the acceleration, I think Road and Track timed the PTT at 3.3 to 60mph and 11.8 in the 1/4mile. Anyway I have always planned on getting a PTT when the kids get a little bigger, but I will also cross-shop the other german hyper sedans (amg, s8, m5).
IMO this is a good thing, very exciting.

Old 10-27-2011, 01:03 PM
kip
Originally Posted by K-E-V
The last M5 also is a 4-seater.
5 seats, here is a youtube interior video + look at pic in my first post in the C and D test:
http://youtu.be/0pd16v_ZwiA

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: The new M5, a real threat to the PTT, even PTTS?