Panamera The 4-dour coupe by Porsche
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Panamera V6 vs 740i

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-01-2012, 11:28 AM
kennethp has much to be proud ofkennethp has much to be proud ofkennethp has much to be proud ofkennethp has much to be proud ofkennethp has much to be proud ofkennethp has much to be proud ofkennethp has much to be proud ofkennethp has much to be proud ofkennethp has much to be proud ofkennethp has much to be proud of
Question Panamera V6 vs 740i

Hi Everyone,

It's lease time and after test driving tons of cars; I've narrowed my car choices down to the Panamera V6 or the 740i. I like both alot but I'm still on the fence. The biggest factor is cost. I have an offer for the 740i at $799+tax/month and an offer for $1298+tax/month on the Panamera. The Panamera is in the lead in terms of rarity and dealer experience. Dealing with the BMW people feels like shopping at Wal-Mart. I also think the drive and ****pit of the Panamera is more engaging. While many aren't fans of the Panamera's look; I like that it stands out. Another plus is the Panamera lease has 12k miles per year vs 10k on the BMW. I tend to be more conservative with spending but I'm feeling like the P-Car experience might be worth the extra $500 per month. I'm only interested in six cylinder models because my commute to work is a a short highway stint that's littered with state troopers. I did test drive the Turbo for ****s and giggles; what a car!!! Thanks for all comments in advance.

Old 01-01-2012, 12:36 PM
hummerchine is on a distinguished road
Yer gonna have WAY more fun in the Panamera!

Old 01-01-2012, 08:18 PM
kennethp has much to be proud ofkennethp has much to be proud ofkennethp has much to be proud ofkennethp has much to be proud ofkennethp has much to be proud ofkennethp has much to be proud ofkennethp has much to be proud ofkennethp has much to be proud ofkennethp has much to be proud ofkennethp has much to be proud of
I also like the fact that I won't be driving what everyone else has. My area is like the subdivision in Weeds. It's a fleet of Benzs and BMWs pouring in and out of the gate. The sporty driving feel and the interior is so much win in the Porsche. I'm also really pleased with the staff at the Porsche dealer. The BMW dealer is trying push a silver car on me which is a tremendous deal killer. So the Panamera is def in the lead; because the Porsches on the lot are inline with what I want.

Old 01-03-2012, 04:17 PM
kip
kip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to behold
A Panamera is a Porsche, you get the sportscar feeling. You will be spending a lot of money for the looks, but it can be worth it. This is a desicion that we cant help you very well with, you need to dig deep to what is more important: Performancewise probably similar so: Its a Porsche!,higher price, rare looks, 4 people sit very comfy,sportscar feeling when you drive vs maybe the more reasonable choice, wont stand out so much, 5 people can sit in it, limo driving feel

I think you allready know what you want, you just have to go for it!

Good luck whatever the choice!

Old 01-03-2012, 04:51 PM
JenK is a glorious beacon of lightJenK is a glorious beacon of lightJenK is a glorious beacon of lightJenK is a glorious beacon of lightJenK is a glorious beacon of lightJenK is a glorious beacon of light
My vote is for the Pan, but you should buy it, not lease(unless for business)...You'd pay at least half theprice of the car in that 36 month window plus the cap reduction. I am in your shoes as well. I am going to get rid of my X5 in December 2012 and want to get the Pan, but I am torn between the V6, the S and GTS. There is big window of pricing as well from 80k to 130k. I am so done with BMW, from a CEL to replacing the damn runflats and their sales/service antics....Anyway, good luck with your choice!

Old 01-03-2012, 05:33 PM
saeyedoc will become famous soon enoughsaeyedoc will become famous soon enough
We looked at the Panamera recently when looking for a new car for my wife. I liked the look and driving feel of the Pana, but the V6 was underwhelming and we didn't want to spend $100k for an S.
Eventually, we decided we didn't need all the room in the back and that we could get a better performing car for the money if we got something smaller.
Ended up with an M3 sedan. Performs on a level with the Panamera S, handles almost as well and you can get one for under invoice with incentives and rebates. For $64 loaded it seemed like the best move for us. The residuals are very good on them if you're leasing. If you have the cash, you can also buy down the MF on BMW leases by putting down up to 7 security deposits.

Old 01-03-2012, 05:59 PM
JenK is a glorious beacon of lightJenK is a glorious beacon of lightJenK is a glorious beacon of lightJenK is a glorious beacon of lightJenK is a glorious beacon of lightJenK is a glorious beacon of light
I like the M3 sedan, but too small for me. BMW has just ticked me off again, so I am anti-BMW right now. I am even considering waiting to see what the new Lexus GS offers in the F-sport line. No flames please! It has gotten some good reviews from the test media, but it is not on the street yet. I am looking for a DD and an occassional dog ride. I would love to get the GTS or an S, but just way too pricey for what I want the car to do. So, it might even be a MINI clubman and a Box S for me!

Old 01-09-2012, 04:08 AM
rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by kennethp
Hi Everyone,

It's lease time and after test driving tons of cars; I've narrowed my car choices down to the Panamera V6 or the 740i. I like both alot but I'm still on the fence. The biggest factor is cost. I have an offer for the 740i at $799+tax/month and an offer for $1298+tax/month on the Panamera. The Panamera is in the lead in terms of rarity and dealer experience. Dealing with the BMW people feels like shopping at Wal-Mart. I also think the drive and ****pit of the Panamera is more engaging. While many aren't fans of the Panamera's look; I like that it stands out. Another plus is the Panamera lease has 12k miles per year vs 10k on the BMW. I tend to be more conservative with spending but I'm feeling like the P-Car experience might be worth the extra $500 per month. I'm only interested in six cylinder models because my commute to work is a a short highway stint that's littered with state troopers. I did test drive the Turbo for ****s and giggles; what a car!!! Thanks for all comments in advance.
I dont think they make 740il any more, they only make 750's and 760's with the v12.... But of course go with the Panamera, the driving experience is just simply amazing.....

Old 01-11-2012, 12:36 PM
Taylormade2 is just really niceTaylormade2 is just really niceTaylormade2 is just really niceTaylormade2 is just really nice
Originally Posted by rvhpno80
I dont think they make 740il any more, they only make 750's and 760's with the v12.... But of course go with the Panamera, the driving experience is just simply amazing.....
Google is your friend if you're not sure of something, but yes, they still make the 740i and 740Li. That's why the OP is comparing lease numbers for the two.

Old 01-11-2012, 06:32 PM
JonasJordan1 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by saeyedoc
We looked at the Panamera recently when looking for a new car for my wife. I liked the look and driving feel of the Pana, but the V6 was underwhelming and we didn't want to spend $100k for an S.
Eventually, we decided we didn't need all the room in the back and that we could get a better performing car for the money if we got something smaller.
Ended up with an M3 sedan. Performs on a level with the Panamera S, handles almost as well and you can get one for under invoice with incentives and rebates. For $64 loaded it seemed like the best move for us. The residuals are very good on them if you're leasing. If you have the cash, you can also buy down the MF on BMW leases by putting down up to 7 security deposits.
Am I high or doesn't the m3 handle and perform better then the pana s

Old 01-14-2012, 09:48 PM
dochusar is on a distinguished road
I test drove the Audi A8, BMW 7-series (6 and 8 cyl) and the Panamera 4, 4S and turbo. Where I live and my commute, I need a four wheel drive and the ride and handling made the Panamera 4 my choice.

Old 01-29-2012, 10:54 AM
Radiation Joe is on a distinguished road
Looks like I'm a first time poster here. Hi folks.

I'm on my second e90 M3. Had one with DCT and one 6sp. Great car, but no comparison to the Panamera. Lots of little rattles and a poor ride. BMW has lost their way for a variety of reasons, but lets just say ///M now stands for ///Marketing. This is why I'm here reading up on the Panamera.

And as long as I'm here:
I'm interested in the PCCB for unsprung weight savings. Noticeable difference?
air suspension with PASM or whole hog air with PDCC?

Thanks,
Joe

Last edited by Radiation Joe; 01-29-2012 at 11:50 AM.
Old 01-29-2012, 02:51 PM
Nsxe320 is on a distinguished road
With the direction of our economy I say go for the 740i, I think the v6 pana isn't worth it and to lease the v8 version would get you 2 of the bmws. Yes it's rare and looks better than the BMW but when it comes toe to toe on 6cyl models the BMW finishes at top. Btw you can buy another toy with the straight saved monthly $500

Old 01-29-2012, 03:31 PM
kip
kip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by Radiation Joe

And as long as I'm here:
I'm interested in the PCCB for unsprung weight savings. Noticeable difference?
air suspension with PASM or whole hog air with PDCC?

Thanks,
Joe
PCCB are the best brakes I have had. They are incredible. POrsche brakes usually squeek like an old bus, these are silent. They will also last for a long time, but when the time comes, they are expensive. They weigh 50% less than the standard ones on a PTT. I love them.

WIth PDCC comes the LSD in older cars and now also the Porsche Torque Vectoring. Thats why I went for the PDCC, more than PDCC itself. This is on the turbo again, I dont know about the other models.

Old 01-30-2012, 05:47 PM
Radiation Joe is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by kip
PCCB are the best brakes I have had. They are incredible. POrsche brakes usually squeek like an old bus, these are silent. They will also last for a long time, but when the time comes, they are expensive. They weigh 50% less than the standard ones on a PTT. I love them.

WIth PDCC comes the LSD in older cars and now also the Porsche Torque Vectoring. Thats why I went for the PDCC, more than PDCC itself. This is on the turbo again, I dont know about the other models.
Since posting my question I've found out that torque vectoring is accomplished by applying braking force to the opposite wheel. That killed the deal for me. I wrongly assumed there was some kind of high tech differential involved.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Panamera V6 vs 740i