Panamera The 4-dour coupe by Porsche
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Should I do this... ?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-25-2012, 04:49 PM
jasonrhcastle has much to be proud ofjasonrhcastle has much to be proud ofjasonrhcastle has much to be proud ofjasonrhcastle has much to be proud ofjasonrhcastle has much to be proud ofjasonrhcastle has much to be proud ofjasonrhcastle has much to be proud ofjasonrhcastle has much to be proud ofjasonrhcastle has much to be proud ofjasonrhcastle has much to be proud of
Should I do this... ?

Hey guys. Got a dilema.

Last year, when my 2011 CTT was in for service I got a Panamera V6 as a loaner. Loved the car. Thought it was very, very agile and quick (even without suspension/performance goodies). Ended up getting a 2012 CTT to replace my 2011 despite having an urge for the Panamera.

Last week, CTT 2012 in for service and rear camera fix. Had another Panamera V6 loaner. Again, loved it. Got my CTT back, and even though I love it, I feel a longing.

Now, I had an E60 530i Msport and then E60 M5. Loved the M5 and performance sedans. I traded my M5 for a X5M when my 2nd child was born in 2009. I have regretted that trade ever since.

I have convinced myself I need a SUV. The truth is that I do not haul anything. I do drive my kids around on occasion, but for longer trips we take my wife's car (2011 R350 MB). We may go a couple hours away in the CTT, but nothing extended.

I have the opportunity to get a 2012/13 Panamera GTS.

Looking at trading the CTT. Thinking of the following configurations:

Basalt Black or Platinum Silver
Cognac/Cedar full leathr or Black leather/alcantara
PTV
PDCC
PCCB
Wing mirror painted (if silver)
Voice control
Burmester
Sat
RSE
Turbo II wheels (with second set for winter weather)
Leather extended interior (if Black leather/alcantara)
Crests front/rear (if Cognac/Cedar)
Heated seats F/R
Ventilated seats (if Cognac/Cedar)
Thermal Glass
Park assist F/R, with camera
Retractable cargo cover
Four Zone climate
14 way seats (if Cognac/Cedar)
LCA
Entry Drive

My other car is a 2012 Ferrari California. So, part of me says keep the CTT. I have the sports car. But I absolutely love a performance sedan. Will probably cost me 15k to get out of my CTT and into the Panamera GTS. I almost own the CTT, but this would figure as my loss compared to time owned (7 months).

Opinions? Anyone else make the Cayenne to Panamera conversion?

J

Old 02-25-2012, 05:13 PM
JCBH is a splendid one to beholdJCBH is a splendid one to beholdJCBH is a splendid one to beholdJCBH is a splendid one to beholdJCBH is a splendid one to beholdJCBH is a splendid one to beholdJCBH is a splendid one to behold
I have a Panamera Turbo and Cayenne Turbo (both 2011's) and i strongly prefer the Panamera. So much fun to drive, as the transmission is more connected to me - feels sportier. I love the Cayenne, but I, too rarely haul stuff (it is the wife's) and I do feel it is the SUV to own if you need an SUV. The Panamera feels more connected also due to its height as it is low to the ground, and driving position is far superior. To my mind, get the GTS...it is going to be a phenomenal car and the Panamera has room to haul if needed...the seats fold flat and plenty of room for typical stuff.

Old 02-25-2012, 06:00 PM
supercup is on a distinguished road
i have E60 M5 and am going to PTT or GTS shortly (both on order). My wife had a few X5's including an M. She wanted more space for kids friends and stuff, so we got her a Sequoia. So I was going to get a CTT for my daily driver. But after driving the PTT I am a sports sedan person over an SUV for daily driver. The Panamera is very flexible and will be fine for hauling my son's hockey gear etc... It is so much nicer to drive. Your wife has R350 which works great for family needs, but you will be surprised how many times you will be able to take the Panamera and handle all the stuff no problem. And you will be much happier driving the PGTS than the CTT when you don't have the family.

You have the best of all worlds - good SUV for wife, sport sedan for you and sports car for weekend.

Good luck with your decision - you won't regret a P-GTS.

Old 02-26-2012, 02:01 AM
kip
kip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to behold
I think you should look at this differently. I think you will be missing the turbo rush after the ctt with gts, if you came from any other c, it would be ok. I think you should sell the r350, you drive the california and keep the ctt for wife + long rides. The suv is safer in crash situations, thats why my other car is a suv. If california is not enough (>1 kid or winter driving), you should have a ctt + ptts or Ferrari ff or 997tts (if 2 small back seats are enough). You really dont need 3 cars. Sorry, dont mean to diss your cnoices just trying to give a new perspective. If you would have any other ferrari (I personally like the california) I would say the above combos would not be enough, but it seems you perfer a little comfort+lux in your sportscars too.

Last edited by kip; 02-26-2012 at 02:07 AM.
Old 02-26-2012, 05:31 AM
jasonrhcastle has much to be proud ofjasonrhcastle has much to be proud ofjasonrhcastle has much to be proud ofjasonrhcastle has much to be proud ofjasonrhcastle has much to be proud ofjasonrhcastle has much to be proud ofjasonrhcastle has much to be proud ofjasonrhcastle has much to be proud ofjasonrhcastle has much to be proud ofjasonrhcastle has much to be proud of
I totally understand the point of view.

The issue is that I can't really use the California as a DD. I have two small kids (4 and 2) and, despite back seats in the California, can't put a full car seat in without being real cramped up front. My 2 year old, by summer, will be able to get to a booster so it will be less of a problem. However, we live right in a transition zone for weather. I can be out with sunny and 60s in the AM, then by afternoon putting down significant snow.

The Ferrari was, and always will be, intended as a third vehicle with specific functions in mind.

I like having a vehicle like the CTT or Panamera for the everyday and bad weather driving. I agree, the main concern I have about switching, is the miss of the Turbo feel. However, I have read so many reviews talking about the power lay down from the GTS and the more linear feel from it. Yes, it won't do what the Turbo does in straight line performance, but it will be close.

I think, at the end of the day, I will probably just stick with the CTT. I am gonna see if I can drive a GTS before I make a decision. Will decide then.

Please, keep opinions coming. Love hearing about them.

Old 02-26-2012, 07:25 AM
umwolverine will become famous soon enoughumwolverine will become famous soon enough
I'd go for the GTS. Certainly if you test-drive one, you'll get it. Balance, Sound, Engine response, Redline, Weight, Transitions, Gearbox, Suspension, Looks, Interior, and overall handling - all are about the best the Panamera line has to offer. I still haven't learned if they are giving the GTS 4WD system more RWD bias, but if so, then I'd include the 4WD system in this list. I agree with you that the 'turbo rush' shouldn't be a big factor for you. After driving a modded E60 M5 for 130,000 miles, I can honestly say I won't be missing 'crazy' straight line acceleration. Power is certainly one very important feature, but it's the overall balance of the car's attributes that is most important. But, there's no question that the GTS will not give you that 'rush' that you get with the crazy acceleration of the CTT, but it will be close. If you were coming from a PTT, that would be a bigger difference.

For me, the GTS hits absolutely all the right buttons. I really love the alcantara seats because the'll hold you better, look better, and won't get as hot as leather in the summer, so I won't miss the non-ventilated seats as much. I really like how Porsche has solved the 'sound problem' with an inherently very quiet car. This 'sound symposer' should be standard on all the Panameras - maybe it will soon.

I would agree with you on all the options, and I would push you towards the sport seats with alcantara. Very unique and best suited to this car IMO. Definitely the PDCC, and I'll be interested in what you think of the retractable cover - haven't heard too much about it. I've also heard that some of the special glass can cause problems with the radar detectors - not sure if the thermal will do this, but I'd check it out. I think you should get the Black, since I'm getting the silver and in Cincinnati, we might run into each other...

Last edited by umwolverine; 02-26-2012 at 07:45 AM.
Old 02-26-2012, 08:27 AM
Yeah, that was kind of my thinking too.

I don't live in Cincy any more, but visit often. So, running into each other shouldn't be THAT much of an issue...

I am definitely liking the Platinum Silver with Black Leather/Alcantara with silver deviated stitching.

Gonna talk to my dealer in ATL, and my Ferrari dealer in Columbus.

If you don't mind, who are you using up there? Porsche of the Village has been my only servicing dealer and they have been excellent. Please feel free to PM me if you wish.

J

Old 02-26-2012, 09:00 AM
FadeToBlack is a glorious beacon of lightFadeToBlack is a glorious beacon of lightFadeToBlack is a glorious beacon of lightFadeToBlack is a glorious beacon of lightFadeToBlack is a glorious beacon of lightFadeToBlack is a glorious beacon of light
I've got to say this to you: a Cayenne Turbo is as fast/faster in a straight line that a Panamera GTS. Sort of happens... until 124MPH/KPH it's a given as far as tests show.

You might want to consider a Panamera TT or TTS if you want to be faster. I don't know if you want, but it's just something I thought I should mention.

You could get a newer California (updated/revised engine, etc), keep the CTT, sell the R350 and put that money towards a PTT/PTTS.

Old 02-26-2012, 09:05 AM
Well. That was sort of the initial plan.

Was gonna trade the R350 to the GTS. However, my wife is convinced that we need the R350 for a family vehicle/hauler. Admittedly, it has more room and is better for family type functions than the CTT.

I am not worried about straight line performance, and figured that likely the GTS would be slightly faster given several factors, than my untuned CTT.

Thought about trading the Cali, however, I should be up to spec a 458 spider by next year. And, in all honesty, the Cali is super fast and nimble as is.

J

Old 02-26-2012, 09:54 AM
kip
kip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to behold
If I were u Id then keep the r350, and buy a ff or ptts. What is wrong with that combo? Then later trade california 458 spyder if you still long for it. Or sell it after you find out how good the abovementioned are

Alcantara is excellent and probably my favorite material, but I think black leather is safest with kids and their goo!

Last edited by kip; 02-26-2012 at 10:12 AM.
Old 02-26-2012, 09:56 AM
umwolverine will become famous soon enoughumwolverine will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by FadeToBlack
I've got to say this to you: a Cayenne Turbo is as fast/faster in a straight line that a Panamera GTS. Sort of happens... until 124MPH/KPH it's a given as far as tests show.

You might want to consider a Panamera TT or TTS if you want to be faster. I don't know if you want, but it's just something I thought I should mention.

You could get a newer California (updated/revised engine, etc), keep the CTT, sell the R350 and put that money towards a PTT/PTTS.
Actually I just looked up the 0-60 numbers on the Porsche website and the GTS is quicker than the Cayenne Turbo. 4.3 sec vs 4.4 sec. Surprised me.

Old 02-26-2012, 10:42 AM
kip
Originally Posted by umwolverine
Actually I just looked up the 0-60 numbers on the Porsche website and the GTS is quicker than the Cayenne Turbo. 4.3 sec vs 4.4 sec. Surprised me.
Official Porsche specs
CTT 0-100 4.7 0-200 ?, couldnt find an owners manual (POrsche says 0-160 is 10,5)
PGTS 4.5; 17.9

GTS is fast...

Last edited by kip; 02-26-2012 at 11:00 AM.
Old 02-26-2012, 11:57 AM
Originally Posted by kip
Alcantara is excellent and probably my favorite material, but I think black leather is safest with kids and their goo!
Very good point - hadn't thought of that. Would be much tougher to clean ice cream, etc...

Old 02-26-2012, 12:03 PM
Kip

Actually thought about that. However, FF as optioned the way I like, would be 350k. I could have both cars for same money.

Besides, have to justify the large garage we are building in the new house.

J

Old 02-26-2012, 01:50 PM
fergie is just really nicefergie is just really nicefergie is just really nicefergie is just really nicefergie is just really nice
Had a CTT and really loved it, but having driven the P4S for over 2 years it's my favorite car ever owned. Comfortable luxury car, then with a push of the Sport Plus button it becomes an engaging sports car, and has plenty of utility when needed. I've not once missed having the storage of my CTT.

Have a PGTS on order and can't wait to have the extra power, turbo brakes and SOUND! If you think the .3 of a second 0-60 difference from the PTT will really bother you go for the PTT, otherwise get most of the TT goodies AND the great sound with the PGTS!

Last edited by fergie; 02-26-2012 at 02:07 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Should I do this... ?