Panamera The 4-dour coupe by Porsche
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2011 Panamera Turbo - NIGHTMARE! Anyone else having issues with this model?

Old 05-01-2012, 03:33 PM
webair is on a distinguished road
2011 Panamera Turbo - NIGHTMARE! Anyone else having issues with this model?

This is my third Porsche. Never in all my years as a Porsche owner have i had so many issues. Nine service receipts, one recall, a grand total of 30 days in the shop!

It all started about 4 months ago, I was driving home from work when all of the coolant suddenly drained from my car. I had to have it towed to the dealership. According to the service receipt they replaced the following:

- O-ring
- AS Thermostat housing
- Sealing Thermostat MSI
- Sealing Ring
- Sealing water pump
- Clamp dust boot
- Rubber O Ring
- Rubber O Ring
- Sealing Throttle

Time required to RR thermostat Housing ASM Pressure Test Cooling System/Extended Road Test OK.

-----------------------

After this issue it has been one thing after another. On three separate occasions, the temperature would shoot to 250 degrees and give me a Check Coolant Level Alert, then snap back to normal after i pulled over, shut the car down and started it back up. They replaced the temp thermostat to address this issue. I've had the car back 4 days now and so far so good.

I'm wondering if all of this had anything do do with the recall. This all started directly after the recall. The biggest issue now is my car smells like antifreeze on occasion, not happy about that.

One other thing I should mention is the brakes squeal like a bus! I complained about this multiple times only to be told that this is normal, and due to the high performance brake pads they chose to go with, squealing noise is to be expected. While i'm all for 'high performance' this is a bit overboard IMHO.

Porsche did send me a check for one months credit for the inconvenience (which I didn't cash yet), but I think that offer is just too little for so many issues. I don't want to go through the process of Lemon Law, but I do think the car should be replaced, especially since I am a recurring client.

Is anyone else having similar issues with their Panamera? Thoughts, comments, feedback?

M

Old 05-01-2012, 04:16 PM
kip
kip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to behold
Never heard of this kind of issue. The 2010s have all kinds of irritating faults: failing horns, failing seatbelt tensioners, unglued window ornaments, bubbling turbo and Porsche texts, rusting sports exhaust etc, but I think mechanical failure is not common. There was one guy who had his engine replaced after it died, I think that was a 2011 ptt.

Porsche brakes often squeek like a bus, the first ones that havent are my current PCCB's., but someone said those squeek to. I think it has been that way forever. Watch the movie no mans land, they squeekwd allready in the 80s. What models did you have earlier, they didnt do that?

Hope it will be problem free now!

Last edited by kip; 05-01-2012 at 04:20 PM.
Old 05-01-2012, 04:20 PM
Originally Posted by kip
Never heard of this kind of issue. The 2010 have all kinds of irritating faults: failing horns, failing seatbelt tensioners, unglued window ornaments, bubbling turbo and Porsche texts, rusting sports exhaust etc, but I think mechanical failure is not common. There was one guy who had his engine replaced after it died, I think that was a 2011 ptt.

Hope it will be problem free now!
Fingers crossed...

Old 05-01-2012, 04:20 PM
Sarum87 is on a distinguished road
that sucks. hate to hear this about any porsche. their build quality is usually excellent. i've owned 4 porsches to date. I have a panamera turbo now as a daily driver. 2011 with nearly 9k miles on it. no issues at all.

what brakes do you have? i have the PCCBs and they squeak about 2-4% of the time but it never lasts. don't let them tell you that it's a high performance issue and you have to live with it. that is BS and i'm sure that porsche corporate office would not like their tech people saying that.

as a side note, i have a 5 year old range rover supercharged. it has a TON of issues including squeaky brakes (they eventually changed the pad compound and that cleared it up but not after numerous trips back). i hired a lawyer who used the lemon law. i paid $95k for the car and land rover is buying the car back for $87k!!!!! i'm using the money to buy a cayenne turbo.

my advice. be stubborn. take the car back. make them fix it. all the time in the shop adds up and will help you get $ should you want to get a lawyer and use the lemon law.

Old 05-01-2012, 04:23 PM
kip
kip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by Sarum87
my advice. be stubborn. take the car back. make them fix it.
+1, its a new car, it should work...

Old 05-01-2012, 05:47 PM
umwolverine will become famous soon enoughumwolverine will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by kip
+1, its a new car, it should work...
+2 absolutely. You paid a lot of money, and while you can't expect a perfect car every time, you can expect everything to be fixed quickly and done right the first time. No way the brakes should be squealing like that.

Old 05-01-2012, 06:53 PM
dhh
dhh has a spectacular aura aboutdhh has a spectacular aura about
My 2010 4S was a true nightmare - my 2011 PTT has been bullet proof - just write the chairman of PCNA a letter and be nice but clear - that helped move my 4S issues along - PCNA was very very accomodating.

Old 05-01-2012, 08:32 PM
1Goodguy02 is on a distinguished road
I argree, write Porsche leadership and they will ensure the dealer does everything possible to correct your issues. I once called roadside assistance to tow my car after I accidently put my mercedes key in the key hole of my Pan4 and it shut down. Roadside assistance sent an ill-equipped tow truck company that could not get the car into neutral then offered to drag the car out of the garage and onto a flat bed........I went nuts! I called Porsche leadership and gave them a piece of my mind. The next day they sent a Porsche tech to my house to fix the car and the next week they sent me a $100 check for my inconvience. There is power in the pen.

Old 05-02-2012, 07:40 AM
ophtho has a spectacular aura aboutophtho has a spectacular aura about
Brake noise!

I'm having the same issue with my PCCB's. I keep a water bottle in my car now and spray my front rotors every couple of days. This has helped tremendously. Its a pain in the butt tho! Also, at low speed with the wheel turned to full lock i get a noise when I apply the brake. I'm told this is normal too! It didn't start happening until last winter when I swapped my summer tires out for winters. It continues now with the summers back on.

One thing after another...

Old 05-02-2012, 10:24 AM
Originally Posted by 1Goodguy02
I argree, write Porsche leadership and they will ensure the dealer does everything possible to correct your issues. I once called roadside assistance to tow my car after I accidently put my mercedes key in the key hole of my Pan4 and it shut down. Roadside assistance sent an ill-equipped tow truck company that could not get the car into neutral then offered to drag the car out of the garage and onto a flat bed........I went nuts! I called Porsche leadership and gave them a piece of my mind. The next day they sent a Porsche tech to my house to fix the car and the next week they sent me a $100 check for my inconvience. There is power in the pen.
I did contact Porsche Corporate. They were nice enough to give me a credit for $2200. However, this being a new car barely a year old, I feel they should replace it, or take it back and let me purchase another model. Regarding the brakes, both corporate and the dealership pass this off as a 'DESIGN CHOICE' made by porsche. I'm sorry I just don't buy that... That said, the brakes are the least of my problems, but a bit enough problem to post and complaint to them about it. It should be addressed. My main concern is the coolant issue and ongoing little bugs I have been dealing with for the past 5 months.

Last edited by webair; 05-02-2012 at 10:28 AM. Reason: added pic
Old 05-02-2012, 11:38 AM
umwolverine will become famous soon enoughumwolverine will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by webair
I did contact Porsche Corporate. They were nice enough to give me a credit for $2200. However, this being a new car barely a year old, I feel they should replace it, or take it back and let me purchase another model. Regarding the brakes, both corporate and the dealership pass this off as a 'DESIGN CHOICE' made by porsche. I'm sorry I just don't buy that... That said, the brakes are the least of my problems, but a bit enough problem to post and complaint to them about it. It should be addressed. My main concern is the coolant issue and ongoing little bugs I have been dealing with for the past 5 months.

I would have the shop pull the brakes and apply some caliper lube. I've done this when I switched out the brakes on my street Porsche from race pads to stock. The 'squealing' from metal brakes is most likely due to vibration of the caliper, and the lube should take care of this problem.

Old 05-02-2012, 11:49 AM
Brian 1215 is on a distinguished road
I have the PCCB on my 2010 turbo and yes they do squeek. mine apparently squeeks louder when braking while turning. im gonna go ask porsche to do something about this. 150k car with squeeky brakes -__- So much for a porsche hahaha

Old 05-02-2012, 11:53 AM
Originally Posted by umwolverine
I would have the shop pull the brakes and apply some caliper lube. I've done this when I switched out the brakes on my street Porsche from race pads to stock. The 'squealing' from metal brakes is most likely due to vibration of the caliper, and the lube should take care of this problem.
I will mention it to the dealership, but I have complained multiple times already and have been told its a design choice and that the brakes are suppose to make noise =)

Thanks for the advice. I will follow up with them.

Last edited by webair; 05-02-2012 at 12:58 PM.
Old 05-02-2012, 12:34 PM
jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !
OP - sorry to hear these issues, it can be quite frustrating.

But, right out of the manual -
The high-performance brake system is designed
for optimal braking effect at all speeds and
temperatures.
Certain speeds, braking forces and ambient conditions
(such as temperature and humidity) therefore
might cause brake noises.
High performance brakes, that work, will make noise. The above recommendation using lubricant on the back plates of the pads may improve/solve your problem (it didn't on mine, I needed an additional shim).

Old 05-02-2012, 01:09 PM
MIA997TTBeast will become famous soon enoughMIA997TTBeast will become famous soon enough
All my cars have had squeaky brakes, I sometimes put the e-brake if I get somewhere where there a lot of people and I do not want to be embarrassed. BMW, Ford, Porsche, all squeak one more than the others. I just learned to live with it.

Now the other gremlins are to be looked at. There was a recall on the cooling and thermostat, mine was done once it was at the dealer for something else. Knock on wood flawless so far.

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 2011 Panamera Turbo - NIGHTMARE! Anyone else having issues with this model?