Panamera The 4-dour coupe by Porsche
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tire Pressure = Amazing Handling

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-02-2014, 07:16 PM
GladiatorOwner is on a distinguished road
Since I've had my PTT for about a month (coming from a '13 M5), I felt the ride was a bit rough/noisy and thought it was the tires or even the car.....? Looked at the tire pressure and saw that the dealer had them dialed up to 46 (cold) all around. Today I adjusted the pressures to 39 (cold) all around and watched them heat up to 44F/42R. Bingo, as others have reported! The car handles much better with normal road noise. Thanks to all in this thread. Good info.

Old 06-02-2014, 08:30 PM
nick.kapoor is on a distinguished road
I wouldn't rely totally on the tpms, since its not accurate. I have seen it to be off by 1 or 2psi when compared to one of those pen like monitors at the tire store. Need to get one of those. I have 42 all around cold and 45 hot - love the handling and ride. I may tweak it some more in a week and will update. If anyone of you experiments any further, please share your experience. Thanks.

Old 06-03-2014, 03:25 AM
NewTurboMan is just really niceNewTurboMan is just really niceNewTurboMan is just really niceNewTurboMan is just really nice
Originally Posted by nick.kapoor
I wouldn't rely totally on the tpms, since its not accurate. I have seen it to be off by 1 or 2psi when compared to one of those pen like monitors at the tire store. Need to get one of those. I have 42 all around cold and 45 hot - love the handling and ride. I may tweak it some more in a week and will update. If anyone of you experiments any further, please share your experience. Thanks.
Agree, my TPMS is off by a consistent 2 psi all around.

Dropped mine again to 36 psi all around (cold) as my wife is driving the car most days and that gives a better ride, handling is not as crisp, but much better than the 32 psi the dealer had the tires set at.

Old 06-03-2014, 03:26 AM
cole328 is a glorious beacon of lightcole328 is a glorious beacon of lightcole328 is a glorious beacon of lightcole328 is a glorious beacon of lightcole328 is a glorious beacon of lightcole328 is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by GladiatorOwner
Since I've had my PTT for about a month (coming from a '13 M5), I felt the ride was a bit rough/noisy and thought it was the tires or even the car.....? Looked at the tire pressure and saw that the dealer had them dialed up to 46 (cold) all around. Today I adjusted the pressures to 39 (cold) all around and watched them heat up to 44F/42R. Bingo, as others have reported! The car handles much better with normal road noise. Thanks to all in this thread. Good info.

Curious...what did you think of the M5? Before I got my '13 GTS, I was between the CLS63 and the M5 VERY happy with the Panny decision, but never got the chance to drive the BMW M5 before I pulled the trigger.

Old 06-03-2014, 05:23 AM
I originally checked all 4 using 2 different pen type monitors so I know the pressures were set waaaay too high, and yes, when I dialed them down the pressures were set right around 38,39,40 ish using the "pens" first. Just wanted to get a feel of the difference before I zeroed in on a number. Used Cole's and Super's advice and set them all at 39. Big difference and and good at this pressure.

FYI - my TPMS seem to be as you said, off by 1 or 2, which is accurate enough. Of course I am assuming that the pens are accurate?.....

Old 06-03-2014, 06:39 AM
Originally Posted by cole328
Curious...what did you think of the M5? Before I got my '13 GTS, I was between the CLS63 and the M5 VERY happy with the Panny decision, but never got the chance to drive the BMW M5 before I pulled the trigger.
I owned both an E60 M5 and the recent F10 M5. The E60 was a blast (V10 race car feel) but the SMG was problematic and unreliable. The F10 is a monster. Blazing fast and deceptive. BMW put it's best foot forward on this one and combined luxury within a fast M car. The DCT is as good as our PDK. It handled very well at some fairly high speeds. In fact, you had to always watch your speed because it never seemed like you were traveling 75 when you actually were. Yikes! I don't track but you could tell this car was planted. The inside is well done and insulated from outside noise. Just wanted an AWD with power and easy potential to tune....enter the PTT.

Old 06-07-2014, 08:45 PM
Originally Posted by GladiatorOwner
I originally checked all 4 using 2 different pen type monitors so I know the pressures were set waaaay too high, and yes, when I dialed them down the pressures were set right around 38,39,40 ish using the "pens" first. Just wanted to get a feel of the difference before I zeroed in on a number. Used Cole's and Super's advice and set them all at 39. Big difference and and good at this pressure.

FYI - my TPMS seem to be as you said, off by 1 or 2, which is accurate enough. Of course I am assuming that the pens are accurate?.....
I am back at 39 all around. I concur with you on possibly the best tire pressure with little to no sacrifice on either comfort or handling.

Old 06-07-2014, 09:25 PM
NiceCar Is a GOD !NiceCar Is a GOD !NiceCar Is a GOD !NiceCar Is a GOD !NiceCar Is a GOD !NiceCar Is a GOD !NiceCar Is a GOD !NiceCar Is a GOD !NiceCar Is a GOD !NiceCar Is a GOD !NiceCar Is a GOD !
I am back at 39 all around. I concur with you on possibly the best tire pressure with little to no sacrifice on either comfort or handling.
How about mileage?

Old 06-07-2014, 09:30 PM
Originally Posted by NiceCar
How about mileage?
Good question. Normally I am on the highway and I get around 22 to 25mpg. However, I haven't had enough time to determine if the mileage has been affected or not. I am guessing the mileage would be less. How much? I don't know yet.