Panamera The 4-dour coupe by Porsche
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dashclock added to my Panamera 4

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-30-2014, 02:22 AM
TGED is on a distinguished road
I used something called Add-A-Circuit to tap on the fuse, very simple, just 'plug-and-play'.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	271
Size:	89.3 KB
ID:	406305  
Old 10-30-2014, 02:32 AM
The fuses I tapped onto were empty slots. One is for vehicle tracking which is always hot and we do not have this option in Canada. The other, as I remember, is for seat ventilation which my car does not have. You can certainly use others. The owner's manual has a list of the fuse allocation. You need one fuse slot that is always hot to power the clock and one that is controlled by the ignition to power the LED backlighting.

Old 10-30-2014, 07:19 AM
solomonh is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Thank you tged!!!

WOW, your descriptions/instructions are awesome!!!

It actually looks doable now. I'm going to place the order and try it. The clock was listed for like $112 US dollars so it's not bad at all. I have to call dealer and get the clock cover for the dash. I did ask dealer about installing the clock from sports chrono pkg from porsche but they said they were not sure if they could do it because of the PCM computer, and I got estimates from1,500 to 2,400 to add the clock...
I just wanted a clock and this is perfect. Two last questions, I promise!

1. Did you use a flathead screwdriver to remove the dash cover? Does it snap from the front (cabin side) or the back (windshield side) ?

2. The clock you chose, are there any other choices so I can compare looks wise that will fit? You know, maybe clock face in different color like white to be able to see better, or different layout of numbers...

THANKS A MILLION!

Old 10-30-2014, 09:17 AM
You need to use a flat blade screw driver(wrap the tip with a cloth) to pry the speaker from the front edge(assuming you are sitting in the driver seat so that is the edge closest to you) and the cover will pop up, just be careful you won't break anything, you also need to lift up part of the air vents, see pic.

Views:	259
Size:	64.9 KB
ID:	406332  
Old 10-30-2014, 09:21 AM
This is the closest looking clock to the factory. With LED backlighting, red pointers, white numerals on black, everything matches well with the factory gauges. I have been looking for something like this for a long time and this is the best there is.

Old 10-30-2014, 09:27 AM
Since the clock is slightly smaller than the opening, I added a stainless ring around it and it doesn't look bad at all.

Views:	191
Size:	46.2 KB
ID:	406333  
Old 10-30-2014, 09:28 AM
This is where I got the stainless steel ring from, you got to be creative sometimes.

Views:	191
Size:	134.9 KB
ID:	406334  
Old 10-30-2014, 09:31 AM
I used black foam weather stripping to put things together.

Views:	173
Size:	43.2 KB
ID:	406335  
Old 10-30-2014, 09:33 AM
Just feel free to ask any more questions.

Views:	205
Size:	66.0 KB
ID:	406336  
Old 11-01-2014, 09:23 AM
Smile 2012 panamera dash clock

Hey Tged

Can you tell me what is the product you got for the stainless ring? It looks like an outdoor light. If you can give me the name of it would be great. Im thinking home depot should have it?

The order for assembly would be: (please correct me if wrong)
1. Clock,
2. Weather strip,
3. Stainless ring,
4. Fit into the cover opening

Also the clock once all put together just fits snugg onto the cover opening? Nothing to snap on right?

Thanks again

Old 11-01-2014, 11:40 AM
You are correct. You also need to wrap weather stripping around the stainless steel ring to give a snug fit. And I used pull-ties to further secure the clock from behind, I also cut short the copper screws. Once you have the clock and the new speaker cover, play around with them and you will know what I mean.
As for the stainless steel ring, I got it sometime ago from The Home Depot or something like that, I don't have the brand name, I took it apart and threw out the rest. It was just a solar outdoor garden light. I will go measure it. It is slightly larger than the clock and smaller than the opening on the speaker cover.

Views:	195
Size:	79.3 KB
ID:	406562  
Old 11-01-2014, 06:30 PM
The stainless steel ring has a diameter of about 2 1/4 inch. I forgot to mention that there is an interior light sensor that is attached to the speaker cover, that is the semi spherical thing near the windshield, you need to unplug the wire, remove the sensor and re-install it on the new cover.

Old 11-04-2014, 04:17 PM
2012 Panamera dash clock mod

Hey TEGD,

Ok, so i got delivery of the dash clock from Auto Meter today. I got the clock model 1285 cause the number dial dashes seemed bigger over the one you got model 3685. First i had ordered the cobalt no 6185 that has the blue lighting and thought it would look cool, but changed my mind since all dials have the white lights in the car and the clock would look out of place.

Question:

1. I found the ADD A CIRCUIT. Amazon.com - PICO 0956PT 10 amp mini blade fuse Add-a-circuit. On the manual it says

Fuse 24 Seat ventilation, front seats 7.5 Amps
Fuse 44 Vehicle tracking System VTS 5 Amps

So can use the 10 Amp add a circuit above? Or do i need to match the fuse Amperage to the circuit?

2. I found the landscape light you talked about. Is it RETHINK MINI SOLAR LIGHTS? On Amazon they sell by case or on walmart.com

I gotta go to dealer tomorrow to order the dash clock cover.

Thanks

Old 11-04-2014, 05:42 PM
Also

3. Can you tell me the model number for the LEDdimmer you used?

4. Is there another fuse you can use so light will go on only when lights are on at night or is this not possible?

Thanks again

Old 11-04-2014, 06:34 PM
Answers:
1. Both fuses 24 & 44 should be empty unless you car has seat ventilation. The clock and the backlight draw very little current, and the clock instructions suggest using an 1 Amp fuse for each circuit, therefore you definitely will not overload either fuse slot. Make sure the add-a-circuit you order accepts ATO fuse, that is the same kind used in the car.
2. I really can't remember the kind of landscape solar light I bought, you just need a ring which is slightly bigger than the clock.
3. The LED dimmer is also from Autometer, I think it is listed under accessories on their website.
4. This would probably require tapping onto the headlight switch which I would not attempt. Actually you hardly notice the backlight during the day. Because the backlight is in LED, lifespan is not an issue, especially when a dimmer is used.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Dashclock added to my Panamera 4