Panamera The 4-dour coupe by Porsche
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Porsche Universal Charger (AC) details

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-19-2016, 02:15 PM
z28com is on a distinguished road
I just paid a Porsche dealer $200 to reset the PIN code on my universal charger. Thanks for all of your recommendations on here.

Old 03-19-2016, 02:43 PM
Robotpedlr will become famous soon enoughRobotpedlr will become famous soon enough
I have mine (new in box that I never used). You can PM me.

Old 03-19-2016, 08:44 PM
paul29 is a splendid one to beholdpaul29 is a splendid one to beholdpaul29 is a splendid one to beholdpaul29 is a splendid one to beholdpaul29 is a splendid one to beholdpaul29 is a splendid one to beholdpaul29 is a splendid one to beholdpaul29 is a splendid one to behold
Pm sent

Old 03-20-2016, 05:05 PM
z28com is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Robotpedlr
I have mine (new in box that I never used). You can PM me.
How come you never used it? What causes people to buy such expensive chargers and not have a need for them?

Old 03-20-2016, 05:37 PM
Robotpedlr will become famous soon enoughRobotpedlr will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by z28com
How come you never used it? What causes people to buy such expensive chargers and not have a need for them?
I didn't buy the charger it came with the car. I actually use the charger portion when I park at the airport etc where there are outlets. At home I have a smaller wall unit that I charge with for my daily juice. I just think the Porsche docking cabinet is too big and bulky. The unit I installed was free after a rebate from my utility company.

Attached Images  

Last edited by Robotpedlr; 03-20-2016 at 05:39 PM.
Old 03-24-2016, 01:55 PM
Gus_Smedstad is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Robotpedlr
I just think the Porsche docking cabinet is too big and bulky.
Really, the Porsche unit is huge. Your pictured unit is probably less than half the size. The Turbocord I bought for use on trips (and have barely used, kinda silly of me) packs the same electronics into a box that's maybe 4" x 4".

Old 04-25-2016, 11:25 PM
MacsterHybrid is on a distinguished road
Anyone else have a hybrid charging dock that they are not using and want to offload? PM me thanks!!

Old 04-26-2016, 07:09 AM
It appears impossible at this time to send you private messages, MacsterHybrid. I'm guessing you haven't enabled it in your profile or something.

You've got two posts, and the other is an inquiry about shipping a Cayenne Hybrid. That should come with a charging dock.

If you still need one, I recently sold my Panamera S e Hybrid, and the dock went with it, but I still have the Turbocord I purchased for traveling. It's a 110 / 220 EVSE, like the Porsche unit, but a lot more compact. I've been meaning to put it up on eBay.

Old 07-21-2016, 10:22 AM
bishopdablack is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Gus_Smedstad
It appears impossible at this time to send you private messages, MacsterHybrid. I'm guessing you haven't enabled it in your profile or something.

You've got two posts, and the other is an inquiry about shipping a Cayenne Hybrid. That should come with a charging dock.

If you still need one, I recently sold my Panamera S e Hybrid, and the dock went with it, but I still have the Turbocord I purchased for traveling. It's a 110 / 220 EVSE, like the Porsche unit, but a lot more compact. I've been meaning to put it up on eBay.
funny i just sold mine too but kept the cabinet I'm hoping i can use it in the interim on the tesla ( with an adapter) until i get a wall unit installed .. just curious what did you get in its place?

Old 07-21-2016, 11:28 AM
Originally Posted by bishopdablack
just curious what did you get in its place?
Aha. Therin lies a story. Prepared to be bored.

I looked at a variety of cars - a Panamera GTS, a Panamera Turbo, a BMW i8, and a Jaguar F type R AWD. I was dead set against getting another Porsche coupe, since we already owned a Cayman S. I figured the overlap between the two cars would be too great.

I was sure that I'd prefer the i8 over everything else. Another hybrid, with the things I found attractive about a plug-in hybrid, but in a much sportier chassis. I was underwhelmed by the actual test drive. The carbon-fiber tub makes for an incredibly awkward door frame, tall and thick. It was the first time I'd actually had problems getting into and out of a car. Rear visibility was poor, and performance not nearly what I thought it would be. It was an OK car, but not much of an improvement overall, particularly for the money.

The Panamera GTS felt pretty much like the S e Hybrid. The low end torque was about the same, despite the much larger NA engine. I only felt a difference above about 5000 RPM, which isn't someplace I go routinely. The Turbo was definitely faster, but I was still aware of how big and awkward the car was.

The Jaguar F type had plenty of grunt, but rear visibility was poor, the trunk very cramped, and overall the driving experience was kind of crude.

On a whim, despite my earlier resolution, I test drove a 2012 991.1 S immediately after driving the F type. It was night and day better. It had far and away more rear visibility than anything I'd test driven, and the performance was better than the Panamera Turbo.

After shopping around, I found an 2014 991.1 4S Cabriolet in Amaranth Red. We paid too much for it, because all the other local cars were gray, white, or black, and getting a color I wanted would otherwise mean going out of state.
Click image for larger version

Name:	yCbzmWY.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	576.1 KB
ID:	538795

I felt rather bad about trading in the Panamera. Since I ordered it, it was a car literally built to my specifications, for me personally. I owned my prior car for 16 years, and I gave up on this one after just 2. Every time I drive the 911, though, it reminds me of how much more enjoyable it is to drive. Just parking it alone is a huge difference, since the size makes it so much more nimble and easier for me to estimate distances.

Old 07-22-2016, 10:34 AM
marcelekusa is on a distinguished road
Advice?

I purchased used 2014 Panamera S e hybrid and it didn't come with charging cable. I've won car on auction for a great price so I didn't make a big deal about it.
I'll be shipping car to Czech Republic in 8 months but for now I'd like the least expensive cable just to charge my vehicle overnight.
I'd like to use regular 110v outlet to charge it don't mind longer charging time because it will be done overnight anyway and after I ship the car I'll have no use for the charger unless I can change the cable for Europe version.
Thank you guys!

Old 07-22-2016, 11:54 AM
There's a level 1 (110v, 15 amp) available on Amazon for $300. You may also consider one of the EVSE's that can handle either 110 or 220, which would be usable in the Czech republic with a suitable plug adapter.

RE: Czech outlets, I couldn't quickly find any information about high-current outlets. While the standard outlet is apparently a type E 220v/16 amps, and that's barely within tolerances for a level-2 EVSE feeding the 3.6 kW charger in the PSeH, I'd want to talk to an electrician before trying that. In North America we have a variety of 220 volt socket standards, depending on maximum draw from 15 amps to 60. I'd assume there are 20+ amp socket standards the Czech Republic.

I've been meaning to get rid of my AV Turbocord which will handle both 110 and 220, so that's a possibility, but I wouldn't want you to feel like I was trying to sell that to you.

Old 07-28-2016, 09:44 AM
bishopdablack is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by marcelekusa
I purchased used 2014 Panamera S e hybrid and it didn't come with charging cable. I've won car on auction for a great price so I didn't make a big deal about it.
I'll be shipping car to Czech Republic in 8 months but for now I'd like the least expensive cable just to charge my vehicle overnight.
I'd like to use regular 110v outlet to charge it don't mind longer charging time because it will be done overnight anyway and after I ship the car I'll have no use for the charger unless I can change the cable for Europe version.
Thank you guys!
If you really want the porsche branded ones i can sell you mine ( make me an offer) I found out last nite its entirely to slow to keep my tesla charged daily ..

Old 08-25-2016, 07:41 AM
jkjones1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Robotpedlr - I hope all is well. I am a new panamera e-hybrid owner (purchased certified pre-owned) and the universal charger didn't come with a manual. Upon plugging it into a 240V outlet, it asked me to select the "current" at either 50 or 100%. I selected 100% and it seemed to charge just fine. However, I was wondering if your manual has anything about it in there and discusses reasons/pros/cons for setting it at either setting. Any help you could provide would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Old 08-25-2016, 08:47 AM
Originally Posted by jkjones1
Robotpedlr - I hope all is well. I am a new panamera e-hybrid owner (purchased certified pre-owned) and the universal charger didn't come with a manual. Upon plugging it into a 240V outlet, it asked me to select the "current" at either 50 or 100%. I selected 100% and it seemed to charge just fine. However, I was wondering if your manual has anything about it in there and discusses reasons/pros/cons for setting it at either setting. Any help you could provide would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
The manual says if an "industrial outlet is used" select 50%. Otherwise use 100%. Which sounds opposite of logic to me. Then it says for full charging rate, use 100% (see image). I would use 100%.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Porsche Universal Charger (AC) details