Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Porsche Universal Charger (AC) details

Old 08-25-2016, 08:57 AM
jkjones1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Very helpful - thanks!

Old 08-25-2016, 11:55 AM
Gus_Smedstad is on a distinguished road
I'm 99% sure they're just talking about using the 220v vs. 110v cord. Some German tech writer somewhere translated a "220 volt outlet" as "industrial."

Normally, full draw with the 110 volt cord is 10 amps, for 1.1 kW, and 16 amps with the 220 volt cord, for 3.6 kW. 50% current is exactly what it says - half power, which takes twice as long to charge.

Any 110 volt circuit's going to rated at 15 amps. 220 volt circuits, well, that depends on your installation. You could conceivably have a setup which can't deliver the full 16 amps, so you might want reduced power in that case.

Other than that, faster charging times are harder on the battery. 3.6 kW isn't much harder on the LiOn cells than 1.1 kW, so I wouldn't sweat it. It's much more of an issue with DC setups like Tesla supercharging stations, which go as high as 120 kW.

Old 08-25-2016, 12:02 PM
jkjones1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Interesting. Thanks. I had an outlet installed that will draw 30amps and uses the cable with the 4 prong head, but I assumed the unit itself would only allow 16amps through it. I'll experiment with the charging times at 50% and 100% and see how much difference there is. Weird that they aren't more clear in the manual.

Old 08-25-2016, 12:10 PM
Correct, it will only draw at most 16 amps, regardless of what the outlet will provide.

Old 08-26-2016, 10:30 AM
bishopdablack is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Gus_Smedstad
Correct, it will only draw at most 16 amps, regardless of what the outlet will provide.
i can confirm this which is the reason i can not use it to charge my tesla model x daily ..

Old 08-26-2016, 10:49 AM
I thought the Model X came with its own EVSE, capable of handling up to 10 kW? I'm not too clear on what's going on with the Tesla connector, since the photos I've seen look like standard J1772 connectors (which can handle up to 20 kW), but I know it can plug into Superchargers that deliver a lot more than that.

Old 08-26-2016, 11:15 AM
bishopdablack is on a distinguished road
it did, my original plan was to keep the one from my SE hybrid ( since it was already mounted on the wall ) and keep the moble one from tesla in the car for road trips. I found out the hardware the porsche one wasn't fast enough for daily charging of the tesla so it had to go .. and then i had to have the outlet rewired since the porsche is 6-50 vs the tesla 14-50 it required a 4th cable but since the electrician i hired was suppose to install a couple of circuits the 1st time around they came and did it for free

I'm going to buy the tesla wall charger because it comes with a 24 ft cable (and put the mobile connector back in the car for travel) so i can charge regardless of how i park in the garage but thats going to be for another day. I also hear that the 72amp charger for teslas can be retrofitted ( might just be a firmware upgrade but i'm waiting to hear back) so the wall charger will help when i do goto 72amps

Old 09-25-2016, 10:01 PM
bubbajones is on a distinguished road
Does anyone need a porsche factory charger kit?Everything is brand new still in factory bubble wrap. The kit includes:
-All cables (110 watt wall socket to charger, 240 wall socket to charger, charger to car charge port.)
-Porsche universal charger ( part number 7PP.971.675.B)
-"Dock" for powering plug when not in use.
-Misc. Mounting brackets.
- All manuals that came with the charger.
Make offer.

Old 11-29-2016, 09:53 PM
d_ziring is an unknown quantity at this point
Random questions, charging related and not.

I'm the proud new owner of a Sapphire Blue 2015 Panamera S e-hybrid. I'm just getting to know the car, but have a few questions. First, my wife wouldn't let me set up a charger in the garage, because that's where she keeps our SUV. So I set up an outdoor 240V outlet by the curb (great little outlet made by a Canadian firm with a flip cover and everything). It's been no problem charging there, but I worry where I will charge when it rains (it happens sometimes in LA). I assume the charging cable can't get wet? Could I wrap the middle part up in something waterproof?

Also, they've got little lights all over the car. Would it have killed the engineers to have put an LED near the charging port so I could see the damn thing at night?

The cupholder is too big.

And I notice that when parking carefully in a spot with a concrete parking block at the end, often the hill hold kicks in as if the car thinks I'm parked in the middle of the space before I've gotten to the end, and I have to tap the throttle lightly. Does this happen to everyone or is it just me?

Old 11-30-2016, 07:46 AM
Robotpedlr will become famous soon enoughRobotpedlr will become famous soon enough
Congrats on getting your SEH. A few answers to your questions:

I would look at a third party weather proof charger for outdoors. There are several options that are probably less expensive then replacing the very costly Porsche unit if water damages it. Here is one for $500 that includes the light in the handle to solve your other problem. http://www.homedepot.com/p/Siemens-V...GRYU/205491633

As far as the hill lock issue, I have not experienced it activating as you described during parking. Mine seems to always work as expected. A nice feature that some may not know about is that you can just press hard and release when you are at a light to lock the brakes until you are ready to go without keeping your foot on the pedal.

The cup holder should have an insert to reduce the size. If yours doesn't, it is missing. So replace it and your cup holder will fit normal size cups/bottles.

Good luck and enjoy the car. I have about 25k on mine and have zero issues.

Old 11-30-2016, 08:03 AM
Robotpedlr will become famous soon enoughRobotpedlr will become famous soon enough
Correction - not sure that charger's handle is lighted, might be a led ring around the main unit. But if not, I think I have seen some that have lights on the handle.

Old 12-02-2016, 08:30 PM
Thank you so much! Your advice is absolutely invaluable. I've also noticed that in comparison with my Audi S5 back up camera, in which even pitch black night looked like daytime, when I try to view the back up camera on the Panamera, I can't see a damn thing at night. Have you noticed the same?

Old 12-13-2016, 11:14 AM
Andy Khar is an unknown quantity at this point
Do you still have the charger?

Old 12-14-2016, 03:59 PM
Yes, I do.

Old 12-17-2016, 02:16 AM
Sergio67 is an unknown quantity at this point
Reset pin on universal charger

Hi,
I'm seeking for help as my Universal Charger, all of a sudden, is now asking for a PIN as I connect it to the power plug. I have never set up a PIN, so I have tried the default 0000, but that doesn't work.

Does anybody know how to RESET the pin on the charger?

many thanks

sergio

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Porsche Universal Charger (AC) details