Panamera The 4-dour coupe by Porsche
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Getting a Panamera Turbo, want advice on how to have the most fun in daily driving

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-23-2015, 08:09 PM
feeltherush will become famous soon enoughfeeltherush will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by chance6
I got mine on November 1st last year. A 2014. I drive mine mostly in sport mode with suspension also in sport. Kick it into sport plus suspension for some great handling. Sport plus for MADMAN mode. I also raise the suspension to avoid large snow drifts. Ha.
Yeah I've read that sport can be a little more comfortable than sport plus. Every time I test drove one I always went straight for sport plus tho

Old 02-24-2015, 11:35 AM
NelsonF is a splendid one to beholdNelsonF is a splendid one to beholdNelsonF is a splendid one to beholdNelsonF is a splendid one to beholdNelsonF is a splendid one to beholdNelsonF is a splendid one to beholdNelsonF is a splendid one to beholdNelsonF is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by Fabspeed Motorsport
I'll second this, I agree 100%.

The PTT is a great car to start, no question there. But the catted down pipes will really take the car to the next level in regards to sound, performance, and the drive-ability fun factor.

Also - congrats on the purchase, looks super clean - I wish you many happy and trouble free miles!

I second and third this thought- it really enhances the experience with this car! I just sold my PTT and returned to stock. I have these parts for sale, PM if interested.

Old 02-24-2015, 12:45 PM
Former Vendor
HOUSE Motorsports has a reputation beyond reputeHOUSE Motorsports has a reputation beyond reputeHOUSE Motorsports has a reputation beyond reputeHOUSE Motorsports has a reputation beyond reputeHOUSE Motorsports has a reputation beyond reputeHOUSE Motorsports has a reputation beyond reputeHOUSE Motorsports has a reputation beyond reputeHOUSE Motorsports has a reputation beyond reputeHOUSE Motorsports has a reputation beyond reputeHOUSE Motorsports has a reputation beyond reputeHOUSE Motorsports has a reputation beyond repute
Congrats on the pickup - she's a beauty!

I'll chime in as well on the Bypass pipes as well as even the IPD intake plenum - two really simple bolt on modifications that will make a world of difference. I'm sure it feels plenty fast now but hold on to your hats once you make those changes...!

- Jason

Old 02-25-2015, 12:30 PM
jkl
jkl is on a distinguished road
@feeltherush: The downpipes should not void the warranty. I don't attend too many of the PCA events, but I'm going to make more of an effort this year.

@nelsonF: I went with the downpipes based on your recommendation. It was an excellent recommendation. Thanks

Old 02-26-2015, 04:45 AM
MrPrice has much to be proud ofMrPrice has much to be proud ofMrPrice has much to be proud ofMrPrice has much to be proud ofMrPrice has much to be proud ofMrPrice has much to be proud ofMrPrice has much to be proud ofMrPrice has much to be proud of
I do own a turbo, but I have a decent amount of experience driving pretty amazing cars with pretty much every type of paddle shifting system made. This is what I enjoy most about the Panamera. I have a very well optioned 4s and while it is not as fast as your turbos it offers a similar driving experience. First if you did not get paddle shifters get them (I have the techart kit on a custom wheel DCT made for me) I know the PDK can shift faster than we can but even in Sport+ the car is still sifts before I would and part of the thrill is being in control. It might take some getting used to (these engine spool up fast) but once you find the sweet spot in the RPM range it is a thing of joy to drive, though I only use it when I am not in traffic. I am still amazed how well this thing handles for such a big heavy car and how it makes you think it is not when you are behind the wheel. A long time ago when I was looking at buying my first Ferrari I was on a test drive in a Testarossa 512M (I think they only made about 175 of them) and the sales guy said to me don't baby it, it can take it let it loose. Well I did and for a big (which it was ) car that 1st gear was just a rolling gear it was a lot of fun to drive and you could make it dance if you were not afraid of it. Lesson to me was that sometimes you need to know both your limits and the cars to really enjoy driving. The turbo is scary fast and it can get you in trouble and like that old big V12 Ferrari it can dance in the right hands. Good luck with your car and watch those first 200 miles brakes and tires sometimes need some time to settle in.

Old 02-26-2015, 09:15 PM
feeltherush will become famous soon enoughfeeltherush will become famous soon enough
Thanks all for your super helpful posts.

Few questions:

What's the best radar detector?

What's the best winter rim/tire solution? Read a lot of threads about it. Are there downsides to the Pirelli 20" tires on my 20" rims? Is it at all doable/sane to keep the summer's on year round and just avoid driving till they plow in winter?

Old 02-26-2015, 09:55 PM
jkl
Originally Posted by feeltherush

Few questions:

What's the best winter rim/tire solution? Read a lot of threads about it. Are there downsides to the Pirelli 20" tires on my 20" rims? Is it at all doable/sane to keep the summer's on year round and just avoid driving till they plow in winter?
I would not use your sunmer tires in the winter. It is not only the snow that you should be concerned about, but the temperature. Below a certain temperature, summer tires have no traction even when the road is clear.

I just got a set of 19" rims that I wrapped with Michelin alpin Pilots. There are many different option, but I've been happy with them. I have also had blizzaks on my previous cars with great success.

I'm interested to hear what people use for radar/laser protection also.

Old 02-26-2015, 10:12 PM
Originally Posted by jkl
I would not use your sunmer tires in the winter. It is not only the snow that you should be concerned about, but the temperature. Below a certain temperature, summer tires have no traction even when the road is clear.

I just got a set of 19" rims that I wrapped with Michelin alpin Pilots. There are many different option, but I've been happy with them. I have also had blizzaks on my previous cars with great success.

I'm interested to hear what people use for radar/laser protection also.
Did you get a wheel / tire set or buy them separately? Any tips on where to get a good price? I've looked at tirerack and some of the big online places.

What do you think about the 20" winter special here http://www.suncoastparts.com/categor...T_Wheels.html? Price almost seems too good to be true.

Old 02-27-2015, 04:44 AM
jkl
That winter wheel set from suncoast is a good price. I would also check to see if enthusiasts are selling there wheels in the classified sections of forums, and wheel dealers on eBay. There are tons of people swapping out their wheels for custom rims, and they want to just get rid of their stock rims. I ended up buying my tires from Tirerack and bought my 19 OEM rims separately. I would not get the wheels that Tirerack tries to package with the winter tires. There is too much performance in the PTT for that.

Old 02-27-2015, 07:05 AM
nick.kapoor is on a distinguished road
I garaged summer Pirelli tires and got new Michelin all season. They handle the cold better than summer ones. I avoid driving them on snow.

Researched the winter tires and they were too specific for my needs. Plus I didn't want to burn them in case I drive them during a warm day during the winter season. Was I wrong this winter. Heck yeah. There are no 45plus days this winter. I will drive the a/s during spring and all the way to mid may or earlier and pull the summer back on.

Incidentally the a/s are phenomenal. Plus I am in the Dmv area so we do get some snow unlike the ny boston areas which has been getting slammed. in those areas winter tires would be the way to go.

Didn't think the need to get another set of rims. Dealer is taking care of swapping the pirellis with the michelins and back and forth w winter/summer transitions.

Old 02-27-2015, 07:14 AM
chance6 is a splendid one to beholdchance6 is a splendid one to beholdchance6 is a splendid one to beholdchance6 is a splendid one to beholdchance6 is a splendid one to beholdchance6 is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by nick.kapoor
I garaged summer Pirelli tires and got new Michelin all season. They handle the cold better than summer ones. I avoid driving them on snow.

Researched the winter tires and they were too specific for my needs. Plus I didn't want to burn them in case I drive them during a warm day during the winter season. Was I wrong this winter. Heck yeah. There are no 45plus days this winter. I will drive the a/s during spring and all the way to mid may or earlier and pull the summer back on.

Incidentally the a/s are phenomenal. Plus I am in the Dmv area so we do get some snow unlike the ny boston areas which has been getting slammed. in those areas winter tires would be the way to go.

Didn't think the need to get another set of rims. Dealer is taking care of swapping the pirellis with the michelins and back and forth w winter/summer transitions.
I have the pirelli cinturatos on mine (all season) and with AWD they are fantastic in winter.

Old 02-27-2015, 08:15 AM
Since I'm getting it with 20 inch rims, you guys think it's worth it to buy 19 inch rims for summer?

+ column : Tires are cheaper and I've heard smaller is better in winter
- column : I have to buy new rims

Also, do you know if it's the same price to have someone swap tires on the same rim vs swap one rim/tire combo for another?

Not trying to split hairs here, but there seems to be a lot of knowledge floating about on the thread so just wanted to get some opinions

Old 02-27-2015, 10:07 AM
Former Vendor
HOUSE Motorsports has a reputation beyond reputeHOUSE Motorsports has a reputation beyond reputeHOUSE Motorsports has a reputation beyond reputeHOUSE Motorsports has a reputation beyond reputeHOUSE Motorsports has a reputation beyond reputeHOUSE Motorsports has a reputation beyond reputeHOUSE Motorsports has a reputation beyond reputeHOUSE Motorsports has a reputation beyond reputeHOUSE Motorsports has a reputation beyond reputeHOUSE Motorsports has a reputation beyond reputeHOUSE Motorsports has a reputation beyond repute

Few questions:

Since others have touched on the winter tire situation (get a dedicated set!)

The best radar detector in my opinion by far -- http://www.valentine1.com/

Constant updates, tried and true tech...just one of the product investments that keep on giving

Old 02-27-2015, 10:20 AM
chance6 is a splendid one to beholdchance6 is a splendid one to beholdchance6 is a splendid one to beholdchance6 is a splendid one to beholdchance6 is a splendid one to beholdchance6 is a splendid one to behold
Since I'm getting it with 20 inch rims, you guys think it's worth it to buy 19 inch rims for summer?

+ column : Tires are cheaper and I've heard smaller is better in winter
- column : I have to buy new rims

Also, do you know if it's the same price to have someone swap tires on the same rim vs swap one rim/tire combo for another?

Not trying to split hairs here, but there seems to be a lot of knowledge floating about on the thread so just wanted to get some opinions
I would not go down in size for summer.
Swapping tires on same rim is more expensive, probably by $40 per rim depending on how you sold soul to devil at dealer.

Old 02-27-2015, 10:39 AM
@Change6 Sorry, I meant to say go down in size for WINTER. Thoughts?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Getting a Panamera Turbo, want advice on how to have the most fun in daily driving