Panamera The 4-dour coupe by Porsche
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Getting a Panamera Turbo, want advice on how to have the most fun in daily driving

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-22-2015, 07:53 AM
feeltherush will become famous soon enoughfeeltherush will become famous soon enough
Smile Getting a Panamera Turbo, want advice on how to have the most fun in daily driving

Hi all,

Been reading the forum for a few months and this is my first post, so please go easy on me

So I'm waiting for my panamera turbo to be shipped and I've been doing a lot of reading. I originally was planning on going to the track some (never have before), but after going to the porsche club of america local chapter in Chicago, I was advised to get a dedicated track car for that so as to not mess up the panny (rubber from the track attacking the paint, etc.)

So my question is - what's the best way to have fun with the panamera turbo in daily driving situations. From my test drives it seems you'll blow waaay past the speed limit on local streets before you can even check the speedometer. I'm assuming it's more fun passing vehicles, on ramping, highway driving, and coming out of a stop (lights/stop signs). Anything I'm missing???

Bonus question - for anyone living in Chicagoland, where's some fun driving? A lot of posters live near cool mountain runs, canyons, etc. It's a bit lacking for that in Chicago. But anyone that's found some fun places to drive (twisties, elevation changes, chances to get some speed) please enlighten. My friend suggested a drive to the Indiana dunes. Might check that out.

Thanks all! I'm pretty excited to join the 6 speed community.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
my new panamera.jpg (47.0 KB, 223 views)
Old 02-22-2015, 08:42 AM
Dpm7471 is a splendid one to beholdDpm7471 is a splendid one to beholdDpm7471 is a splendid one to beholdDpm7471 is a splendid one to beholdDpm7471 is a splendid one to beholdDpm7471 is a splendid one to beholdDpm7471 is a splendid one to behold
I have a turbo S 2012. These cars are so much fun to drive, I get excited each time I jump into it. I would avoid heavy traffic areas that would equate to traffic jams.

I was told when I picked up my car that I should spend at least 10 minutes in mild to moderate driving to let the car/turbos warm up and not drive too spirited until then.

You will outrun 99% of all cars out there with little difficulty. It is fun playing around with other sports cars as most owners of other nice sports cars will appreciate what you have. There will be many who don't even know what the car is or what it can do, but those who do will love it.

Enjoy it every chance you get, but remember to be careful as these cars accelerate quickly and often without you realizing it.

Congrats!

Old 02-22-2015, 09:14 AM
feeltherush will become famous soon enoughfeeltherush will become famous soon enough
Thumbs up Good points

Thanks for the advice dpm. Didn't know about the 10 minute warm up thing.
Hehe, it'll definitely take a little planning to avoid heavy traffic living in downtown chicago, but I imagine hitting the pedal too hard wouldn't be good with a car inches away. I plan to seeking out more fun areas to drive for sure though.

Good point about the other sports car drivers. Maybe I'll roll the window down and give a tip of the hat!

Old 02-22-2015, 11:12 AM
Anyone else?

I'd love to get some more words of wisdom

Old 02-22-2015, 11:32 AM
nick.kapoor is on a distinguished road
get waze on your phone. The only mod i have done to my ptt is add a phone holder which sits in the left cup holder and got Michelin all season. Think the Michelin are awesome during the winter season. Get a radar detector and thrash it while being responsible.

I normally get up early on weekends when the roads are empty and the cops are not around. That's when I pass the controls to the demon in me.

I am convinced the ptt is meant to be thrashed and it loves it. So don't hold back and enjoy. Drive it in Sports mode and turn the Auto shutoff button to on position(light is on). Sports plus is kind of rough. Enjoy the car in stock form for a while before you do any mods. May void some warranties. Good luck.

Old 02-22-2015, 12:03 PM
Is Launch Control too hard on the car?

Thanks Nick. Have you used launch control yet? I've heard from one source that it's meant to last for 3000 launches, from another that you can use it whenever you want, and some have told me that it's hard on the car and not advisable. Thoughts?

Old 02-22-2015, 12:19 PM
nick.kapoor is on a distinguished road
Rush, I have never used launch control. I have seen the videos and I don't think that will be thrilling. And if there is any truth to the 3000 launches, damn that's like launching roughly once a day, every day for the next 10 years. And if you want to own it for 5 years, do one in the morning and one in the evening and your demon will hopefully stay in check. Btw 3000 - I don't know since I am no expert in that area. Plus I haven't heard it officially from Porsche. So for all you know it could be a rumor.

Last edited by nick.kapoor; 02-22-2015 at 12:21 PM.
Old 02-22-2015, 01:18 PM
Samp will become famous soon enough
Get the GTS Routes app and will show where others have driven and documented. I am near Dallas so no firsthand knowledge but the app should help.

I hope you enjoy yours as much as we do ours.

Old 02-22-2015, 02:00 PM
Great tip

Hadn't heard of that before. Hopefully there are a lot of ppl in Chicagoland logging some routes on there.

Any other tips on fun everyday ways to have fun that hopefully don't break any laws (too much )?

Thanks to all!

Old 02-22-2015, 02:03 PM
Dpm7471 is a splendid one to beholdDpm7471 is a splendid one to beholdDpm7471 is a splendid one to beholdDpm7471 is a splendid one to beholdDpm7471 is a splendid one to beholdDpm7471 is a splendid one to beholdDpm7471 is a splendid one to behold
Just drive this car and enjoy it. You are getting a very special car that can do what most cars cannot. Don't let it be garage furniture....just drive the thing and keep it under 100!

Old 02-22-2015, 02:10 PM
Samp will become famous soon enough
Is this anew one or what year. Options etc?

Old 02-22-2015, 04:34 PM
jkl
jkl is on a distinguished road
I highly recommend fabspeed downpipes. Adds a nice tone without excess volume and no drone. They also decrease turbo lag and increase both hp and torque. Others on here have also done this upgrade and will agree. Where are you located in the Chicagoland area? That will change your driving routes. If your in the northwest area, the drive up towards Lake Geneva is fun, with a nice final destination. Hope to meet up with you at one of the local PCA events.

Old 02-22-2015, 06:07 PM
Samp - It's a 2010. Options - Sport exhaust, 20" wheels, rear wiper, wheel caps with colored crest, seat ventilation (front), park assist with rear view camera, sport chrono plus, illuminated door sill guards, full black leather.

Not as loaded as I would have loved, but the price was decent for a CPO with 6 year extended warranty. And just over 20K miles.

JKL - I live in downtown Chicago. Which is why i just sold my scooter (sniff sniff) to make room for the panamera (which is still going to be parked behind my BMW super scooter..hooray for parking sensors!)

I actually went to the PCA chili cookoff last weekend at the porsche dealership. Hoping to make it next weekend. Do you attend many?

I'll have to look into the downpipes. Sounds interesting. Does that void the warranty?

Old 02-23-2015, 11:25 AM
Former Vendor
Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by jkl
I highly recommend fabspeed downpipes. Adds a nice tone without excess volume and no drone. They also decrease turbo lag and increase both hp and torque. Others on here have also done this upgrade and will agree. Where are you located in the Chicagoland area? That will change your driving routes. If your in the northwest area, the drive up towards Lake Geneva is fun, with a nice final destination. Hope to meet up with you at one of the local PCA events.

I'll second this, I agree 100%.

The PTT is a great car to start, no question there. But the catted down pipes will really take the car to the next level in regards to sound, performance, and the drive-ability fun factor.

Also - congrats on the purchase, looks super clean - I wish you many happy and trouble free miles!

Old 02-23-2015, 06:42 PM
chance6 is a splendid one to beholdchance6 is a splendid one to beholdchance6 is a splendid one to beholdchance6 is a splendid one to beholdchance6 is a splendid one to beholdchance6 is a splendid one to behold
I got mine on November 1st last year. A 2014. I drive mine mostly in sport mode with suspension also in sport. Kick it into sport plus suspension for some great handling. Sport plus for MADMAN mode. I also raise the suspension to avoid large snow drifts. Ha.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Getting a Panamera Turbo, want advice on how to have the most fun in daily driving