Panamera The 4-dour coupe by Porsche
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Nav interference with park assist

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-23-2015, 07:16 PM
riden has a spectacular aura aboutriden has a spectacular aura aboutriden has a spectacular aura about
Nav interference with park assist

The park assist does not work if the navigation is engaged or if guidance is terminated. If I restart the car, park assist works normally. I have a 2014 PGTS with surround view. Am I doing something incorrectly?

Old 05-23-2015, 08:08 PM
Gus_Smedstad is on a distinguished road
I've never noticed that. I guess I could experiment. The only quirk I've noticed is that if the front sensors are going off (i.e. I parked close to something), and I put the car in reverse, the view is often of the front camera instead of the rear camera. Plus the surround view, of course, which isn't affected.

What happens when you engage it manually? Press Car | Options | Park Assist?

Old 05-23-2015, 10:56 PM
riden has a spectacular aura aboutriden has a spectacular aura aboutriden has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by Gus_Smedstad
I've never noticed that. I guess I could experiment. The only quirk I've noticed is that if the front sensors are going off (i.e. I parked close to something), and I put the car in reverse, the view is often of the front camera instead of the rear camera. Plus the surround view, of course, which isn't affected.

What happens when you engage it manually? Press Car | Options | Park Assist?
Haven't tried that. I did try cycling the button on the overhead console with no effect on operation. I'll try your suggestion next. If that doesn't work I'll try the concierge service if it's still available.

Old 05-24-2015, 07:17 AM
The overhead button is only for turning Park Assist off. It doesn't turn the display on, only turn the display and tone off if it's already on. Which is annoying! I'd really like to turn it on with a single button, instead of 3 presses (the Car button followed by two screen presses). The manual talks about this on page 117.

No, Park Assist only comes on if you get very close to something, engage Reverse, or use the PCM to turn it on manually. I turn it on fairly often manually when I'm rolling forward into a parking space and want to double-check my positioning, or I'm concerned about a low curb which doesn't set off the ultrasonic sensors.

Old 05-24-2015, 08:08 AM
The overhead button is only for turning Park Assist off. It doesn't turn the display on, only turn the display and tone off if it's already on. Which is annoying! I'd really like to turn it on with a single button, instead of 3 presses (the Car button followed by two screen presses). The manual talks about this on page 117.

No, Park Assist only comes on if you get very close to something, engage Reverse, or use the PCM to turn it on manually. I turn it on fairly often manually when I'm rolling forward into a parking space and want to double-check my positioning, or I'm concerned about a low curb which doesn't set off the ultrasonic sensors.
Too far from the curb might be the problem. I'm probably overly paranoid about crushing the front on high curbs. The seat is adjusted low so its not easy to judge the car boundaries. Anyway, I'll try the slow and steady approach next time. Thanks for the suggestions.

Old 05-24-2015, 09:03 AM
A week after my wife picked up her Cayman S, she gouged the chin on the front curb of a parking space. The parking sensors never went off, because the curb was just high enough to damage the air dam, but too low for the sensors see it.

The Panamera isn't quite as low unless you're driving in Sport+ mode and have the suspension lowered, but I think it's still prudent to think about it. I generally have no troubles estimating the distance if I can see a wall, but if I can't see the curb, the cameras in the front looking ahead and down let me get close without danger. Which is, as I said, one reason I often turn on Park Assist manually. Sometimes I'll deliberately get close to another car or a wall to set off the sensors and turn on the display.

Old 05-24-2015, 09:40 AM
A week after my wife picked up her Cayman S, she gouged the chin on the front curb of a parking space. The parking sensors never went off, because the curb was just high enough to damage the air dam, but too low for the sensors see it.

The Panamera isn't quite as low unless you're driving in Sport+ mode and have the suspension lowered, but I think it's still prudent to think about it. I generally have no troubles estimating the distance if I can see a wall, but if I can't see the curb, the cameras in the front looking ahead and down let me get close without danger. Which is, as I said, one reason I often turn on Park Assist manually. Sometimes I'll deliberately get close to another car or a wall to set off the sensors and turn on the display.
I did the slow approach after having the nav engaged and was able to "beach" the front end(No visible damage). It looks like manual engagement is way to go when the nav is running. Or maybe reversing then going foward?

Old 05-24-2015, 09:55 AM
Either works. Reversing is faster if you're at a dead stop, turning it on via PCM may work better if you're still rolling forward slowly.