Panamera The 4-dour coupe by Porsche
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best possible way to smoke tail lights

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-04-2015, 08:52 AM
Chris_FL is a jewel in the roughChris_FL is a jewel in the roughChris_FL is a jewel in the rough
Best possible way to smoke tail lights

Having the Cayenne GTS and Panamera GTS, I can't help but feel the Panamera needs the same tinted tails. I'm trying to see what other's have done to achieve this, Is Lamin-X the best solution? I'm looking for a clean, smooth finish, as close to possible to the look of the Cayenne's OEM tinted tails.

Old 07-07-2015, 12:37 AM
Mofongo is on a distinguished road
I just applied Lamin-X a few weeks ago. It's OK-ish as long as you don't look too closely.

The material was not tall enough to cover the full height of the tail light in the middle, so there is a gap of about a quarter inch along the bottom. Fortunately the lens is fairly dark red down there so the missing tint isn't too obvious. But I know the gap is there. Also, you can still see minor surface ripples from a few feet away if you stare at the lights. That's not a big deal but it does make it obvious that it is covered by a film.

I wanted to try the Lamin-X as an experiment to see if I liked the tint. I will probably remove it at some point and get them professionally painted.

Old 07-07-2015, 08:41 AM
Chris_FL is a jewel in the roughChris_FL is a jewel in the roughChris_FL is a jewel in the rough
I applied Lamin-X to my front marker lights, for their size, I'm satisfied, but that's why I was questioning whether to do them on the tails, I don't understand why they would make "custom fit" films too small. Anyone here had theirs spayed?

Old 09-04-2015, 10:59 AM
XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !
Have you considered the OE tinted tails or the film kit?
http://www.suncoastparts.com/product/P214.html

Old 09-04-2015, 12:50 PM
From what I understand, there aren't any factory tinted tails for the 970 Panamera... The lamin-x may be worth trying.

Old 09-04-2015, 03:52 PM
XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Chris_FL
From what I understand, there aren't any factory tinted tails for the 970 Panamera... The lamin-x may be worth trying.
There were. Optional on all trim levels.

Old 09-05-2015, 05:58 PM
robdeniro0 is on a distinguished road
Having the Cayenne GTS and Panamera GTS, I can't help but feel the Panamera needs the same tinted tails. I'm trying to see what other's have done to achieve this, Is Lamin-X the best solution? I'm looking for a clean, smooth finish, as close to possible to the look of the Cayenne's OEM tinted tails.
A great alternative is to have a shop that does car wraps wrap the tail with a translucent film. They get full coverage of the tail no imperfections, it looks great and adds a classy look IMO. Here is a pic of mine..

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1822.JPG
Views:	525
Size:	1.65 MB
ID:	427610  
Old 09-05-2015, 07:22 PM
Goonie is on a distinguished road
What did that cost you?

Old 09-05-2015, 07:31 PM
Originally Posted by Goonie
What did that cost you?
They charged me $125 which sounds pricey but I tried the Lamin-X first on my own which looked bad to say the least, mostly because of my lack of skills to do the job. But honestly once I saw the end product of what the wrappers did it felt like I received a bargain as I don't like to skimp on my ride..

Old 09-05-2015, 07:38 PM
Goonie is on a distinguished road
That's not bad at all. I'm gonna look into it. Thanks!

Looks really nice. Do you know how dark that is?

Old 09-05-2015, 08:06 PM
Here is good shot of my car on the website of the guys that did the work.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	porsche-panamera-taillight-tint-wm.jpg
Views:	4182
Size:	1.83 MB
ID:	427611  
Old 09-05-2015, 08:15 PM
Originally Posted by Goonie
That's not bad at all. I'm gonna look into it. Thanks!

Looks really nice. Do you know how dark that is?
I'm not sure what the exact percentage of tint it is, I told the guys that did them to not smoke them black which they could have but make them more like a cherry wine color and they did the tint according to my request.

Old 09-07-2015, 09:42 AM
Looks great, looks like the gloss on it is similar to oem, the problem with alot of the tints is it tends to look more matte, you don't happen to know what film they used, do you?

Old 09-07-2015, 10:46 AM
Looks great, looks like the gloss on it is similar to oem, the problem with alot of the tints is it tends to look more matte, you don't happen to know what film they used, do you?
Chris, I was also concerned about the matte look but they assured me they had a film that would look glossy and translucent. I am not sure what the material is called that they used but perhaps you could give them a call and inquire about the type of material they use for tails. Mine is glossy and has held up perfectly for the last 6 months or so.. The company is called exotic vehicle wraps you can find them on the web. Using my phone right now so not able to provide a link.

Old 10-28-2015, 10:43 PM
negb is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by XLR82XS
Have you considered the OE tinted tails or the film kit?
http://www.suncoastparts.com/product/P214.html
Is it possible that this film (most likely charcoal) was used on this car https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...ml#post4078015

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Best possible way to smoke tail lights