Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

20" / 22" Wheels + Air Suspension / Ride

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-02-2015, 09:19 AM
danyoP4S is on a distinguished road

Hey guys, just traded in my 2014 Subaru BRZ and picked up an '11 P4S and I'm really excited about picking it up next week! Been doing some research on the wheels and I noticed a lot of people are going with the 22" setups and I have a few questions that I hope some people will be able to help me out with (I tried to search it first but couldn't find much on it)!

1) How do 22" wheels affect the air suspension system? Does it affect it at all?
2) Is the ride noticeably bumpier/rougher vs a 20" setup?
3) Is there a good recommended tire setup for the 20" and 22" respectively? If I remember correctly, AWD cars have to take rolling diameter into consideration.

If I could get away with the 22" and still get a comfortable ride, have a working air suspension system (so that I could raise it over driveway entrances, speedbumps, etc)... I really do like the aggressive look of the 22" setup. I have a feeling I'll end up with a 20" setup though for practical reasons. FWIW, I live in Canada so this question is specifically towards a summer setup as I'll be running on smaller winter tires during the colder months.

Last edited by danyoP4S; 09-02-2015 at 09:42 AM.
Old 09-03-2015, 06:51 AM
FIRST_PORSCHE is on a distinguished road
Hi, I have a Panamera Turbo with 22s on it and have zero issues with my air ride. I drive in sports plus mode with the suspension all the way down 99% of the time. My setup is 265 30 22 fronts and 315 25 22's rear. Keep in mind if you go with 22's and decide on 315's for the rear (which is the best look) it will be limit you on tire choices.

BTW...I live in the suburbs outside the Detroit area and drove this past winter on the 22's with ZERO issues thru snow. This year I will probably buy a set of 20's for the winter and or a winter car....more so because I'm worried about other people hitting me then me hitting them.

Congrats on your new car!

Old 09-04-2015, 04:47 AM
MrPrice has much to be proud ofMrPrice has much to be proud ofMrPrice has much to be proud ofMrPrice has much to be proud ofMrPrice has much to be proud ofMrPrice has much to be proud ofMrPrice has much to be proud ofMrPrice has much to be proud of
There has been many threads about tire and wheel sizes, and I personally think you should do what you think works best (and in most cases looks best). I have been at the car mod thing a long (over 40 years) time and have lost count as to how many times I have pulled wheels and tires (I had three different sets of wheels and tires on the Gallardo I kept for two years) off all the cars I've owned. In the end I found that putting bigger wheels on a car always had a negative effect on its handling, though in the case of the Panamera I doubt most owners drive the car in a way that it would make that much of a difference since I also noticed the bigger and heavier the car was the less noticeable the change was. I am sure others here might even like the ride better and think it helps make it handle better. My most recent experience with a 650 coupe (I went from the 20" msport wheels with runflats to those wheels without runflats) that I ended up putting lightweight 19" wheels and Pole position tires, that change made me keep the car. I am a bit more picky about some aspects of a car than most people and mine is just an opinion. In the end you will be the judge of what works best for you. Congrats on your car enjoy it.

Old 09-07-2015, 07:47 AM
benblack is a jewel in the roughbenblack is a jewel in the roughbenblack is a jewel in the rough

Welcome. Running 22s on my 4s when I had it and also on my turbo zero issues and run in sport or sport plus most of the tjme. Big wheel wells you will be glad u ran the 2s

Old 09-29-2021, 04:45 PM
lapraer is an unknown quantity at this point
No one spoke of the air pressure they were using: In my pan 4 I reduced air pressure to 32 psi all around on Pirelli 255 20's and 295 20's and I had a noticeable better ride (read somewhere on this forum that 32 psi is ok as long as not going 160 mph). Ride was more like a luxury Jag/smooth. Here comes winter in Canada and I put on some 19 inch winters 255 and 285 Michelins at 33 and 35 psi (as -30 degrees here might reduce the pressure). Ooo La La what a beautiful ride compared to the 20 inch tires, even steering seemed smoother. In fact I seen a full set of 18 inchers and wonder what they would be like. Is the 20 inch scenario just a mental thing. What's your thoughts about a lower tire pressure being ok and the mental thing. EGL

Old 09-30-2021, 05:06 AM
shrike071 has much to be proud ofshrike071 has much to be proud ofshrike071 has much to be proud ofshrike071 has much to be proud ofshrike071 has much to be proud ofshrike071 has much to be proud ofshrike071 has much to be proud ofshrike071 has much to be proud of
I've had lots of high horsepower performance cars. 20's are the absolute largest I would go and that's mainly due to the disproportionate effect that larger, heavier sets have on handling. Unsprung mass is a thing and changing it will completely change the way the car does just about everything. If you're just going for looks and you don't care about anything else, go with whatever size floats your boat. If you're going for the best compromise between performance and looks, and yes - it's always a compromise - 20's are the upper-end of what should be considered. Going up an inch equates to an (average) 10#-20# increase in rotational mass depending on the wheel and tire, and that is per-corner.