Panamera The 4-dour coupe by Porsche
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Option Questions - Adaptive Air, Laminated Glass, Ventalated Seats, etc.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-16-2016, 05:14 PM
last911 has a spectacular aura aboutlast911 has a spectacular aura about
Ventilated seats....

The purpose of ventilated seats is not to cool the seat or its surface. The ventilated seat is intended to cool the occupant by drawing air from in front of occupant, down past his sides and bottom. There is a significant evaporative effect that cools your back and bottom. It is paricularly effective when used in conjunction with the A/C, as the cool dehumidifies air increases the evaporative effect, cooling your skin.

I've had this on two Porsche's and would not consider a Porsche withou it here in the humid Midwest.

Old 07-17-2016, 09:37 AM
XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by last911
The purpose of ventilated seats is not to cool the seat or its surface. The ventilated seat is intended to cool the occupant by drawing air from in front of occupant, down past his sides and bottom. There is a significant evaporative effect that cools your back and bottom. It is paricularly effective when used in conjunction with the A/C, as the cool dehumidifies air increases the evaporative effect, cooling your skin.

I've had this on two Porsche's and would not consider a Porsche withou it here in the humid Midwest.
A must in HUMID S. Florida as well.

Old 07-17-2016, 01:36 PM
Bleser will become famous soon enough
Thanks for the replies thus far. It is clear that the ventilated seats make a difference to those that have them in hot climates (I'm in St. Louis and our summers are darn hot). I am surprised that the thermally/noise insulated glass has gotten such positive reviews - seems like something I would have expected more "I can't tell a difference" responses.

I'm still really confused how the air suspension would function if one were to not get Sport Chrono. I know you're just "supposed" to get Sport Chrono, and I probably will, but do you just lose the 25mm lowering feature if you don't get it? I wonder.

I'm starting to question the 18-way seats, too; they're a steep upcharge from the 14-way memory seats and on the 911 I've heard there is hardly an advantage. Anyone care to comment on that?

Old 07-17-2016, 02:02 PM
last911 has a spectacular aura aboutlast911 has a spectacular aura about
14 way vs 18 way seats.....

I have the 18 way seats in my PGTS. They are the most comfortable seats of any car I've ever owned. That said, I never use the side or seat bolster adjustability. They're in the widest setting and I have never moved them. I had the 14 way seats in my 911 GTS. They were great, but not as nice as the seats in my PGTS. I cannot say if there is any seat geometry or cushioning difference between the 14 and the 18. Without having them side by side, who knows. I've never sat in Panamera 14 way seat for comparison.

Old 07-17-2016, 04:53 PM
NiceCar Is a GOD !NiceCar Is a GOD !NiceCar Is a GOD !NiceCar Is a GOD !NiceCar Is a GOD !NiceCar Is a GOD !NiceCar Is a GOD !NiceCar Is a GOD !NiceCar Is a GOD !NiceCar Is a GOD !NiceCar Is a GOD !
The 18-way seats are fantastic. I've driven for 11 hours straight with absolutely no "seat fatigue" and when I got out I felt like I had only been driving to the local grocery store. I have not tried the 14-way, but I've read a lot of comments of people not liking them.

Old 07-18-2016, 12:26 AM
Jafetica888 is a splendid one to beholdJafetica888 is a splendid one to beholdJafetica888 is a splendid one to beholdJafetica888 is a splendid one to beholdJafetica888 is a splendid one to beholdJafetica888 is a splendid one to beholdJafetica888 is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by NiceCar
The 18-way seats are fantastic. I've driven for 11 hours straight with absolutely no "seat fatigue" and when I got out I felt like I had only been driving to the local grocery store. I have not tried the 14-way, but I've read a lot of comments of people not liking them.
Super happy with my 14way seats, no issue even on 10hour a day road trips.
Having said this, I am sure the 18ways a re better, just a question of available funds. In a perfect world, one would have it all, but if budget is controlled, I would take the 14ways with ventilation over 18ways without.

Same with stereo: Burmester is phantastic, but if budget is an issue I would spend the money on Bose but not the $3k or so extra for Burmester.

Temperature: the electric sunshades at rear and sides help quite a bit, maybe cheaper than insulated glass.

Old 07-18-2016, 12:30 AM
Jafetica888 is a splendid one to beholdJafetica888 is a splendid one to beholdJafetica888 is a splendid one to beholdJafetica888 is a splendid one to beholdJafetica888 is a splendid one to beholdJafetica888 is a splendid one to beholdJafetica888 is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by Bleser
I'm still really confused how the air suspension would function if one were to not get Sport Chrono. I know you're just "supposed" to get Sport Chrono, and I probably will, but do you just lose the 25mm lowering feature if you don't get it? I wonder. ?

It really depends how you drive and where you use your car. If you go on a track every now and then, if you like tight mountain roads and go 'sporty', then the air suspension is nice as you can switch from comfy highway cruising to lower, harder and sportier.
If you enjoy your Panamera as a fabulous sporty drive, but mostly on highways and city driving within speed limits, this is money you might want to consider saving.

Old 07-18-2016, 09:30 AM
Originally Posted by Jafetica888
It really depends how you drive and where you use your car. If you go on a track every now and then, if you like tight mountain roads and go 'sporty', then the air suspension is nice as you can switch from comfy highway cruising to lower, harder and sportier.
If you enjoy your Panamera as a fabulous sporty drive, but mostly on highways and city driving within speed limits, this is money you might want to consider saving.

That's fair, and will hopefully come out with test drives over the next couple of years. What I really want to see is how the car sits on the standard suspension. If it has the 'right look', then I'll be more inclined to skip the air suspension. But if the 25mm lower option of the air suspension really makes it perfect, I'll likely go for it as I do not want to mess with the factory setup (my current 335i is on OEM sport suspension and is the perfect combo of ride/handling/look).

If air suspension is skipped, things like PCCB become more possible.

Old 07-18-2016, 09:31 AM
Super happy with my 14way seats, no issue even on 10hour a day road trips.
Having said this, I am sure the 18ways a re better, just a question of available funds. In a perfect world, one would have it all, but if budget is controlled, I would take the 14ways with ventilation over 18ways without.

Same with stereo: Burmester is phantastic, but if budget is an issue I would spend the money on Bose but not the $3k or so extra for Burmester.

Temperature: the electric sunshades at rear and sides help quite a bit, maybe cheaper than insulated glass.

Great points, and the way I'm looking at it as well. I don't have an endless budget and will have to make decisions. That's the fun of it.

Old 07-18-2016, 03:21 PM
Originally Posted by Bleser
That's fair, and will hopefully come out with test drives over the next couple of years. What I really want to see is how the car sits on the standard suspension. If it has the 'right look', then I'll be more inclined to skip the air suspension. But if the 25mm lower option of the air suspension really makes it perfect, I'll likely go for it as I do not want to mess with the factory setup (my current 335i is on OEM sport suspension and is the perfect combo of ride/handling/look). If air suspension is skipped, things like PCCB become more possible.
Why do you want the PCCB? Unless you track the car (and even then), this is really a luxury and 'money to burn' feature (especially if you consider skipping sport Chrono ).

What is your current wish list of car and extras, what are the items under discussion?

Old 07-18-2016, 04:53 PM
2thfxr is on a distinguished road
The only reason to have the PCCB is if you are racing the car, regular brakes are more than adequate. You will get more enjoyment from the air suspension than the carbon brakes.

Old 07-18-2016, 05:56 PM
Originally Posted by 2thfxr
The only reason to have the PCCB is if you are racing the car, regular brakes are more than adequate. You will get more enjoyment from the air suspension than the carbon brakes.
That is completely fair. Porsche Carbon Ceramic Brakes are a very polarizing topic and I see both sides. There are a lot of threads out there talking about the subject and I intend to talk to real owners over the next few years and judge the result. The positives seem to be aesthetics, ride comfort (lower unsprung weight), no brake dust, 100,000+ mile lifespan if not tracked, and more.

The giant downside is cost, and then there is a 50/50 split on noise issues. I've read magazine articles where all they talk about is how noisy they are, but then I've also talked to owners that have them and say there are zero noise issues.

Old 07-18-2016, 08:41 PM
What is your current wish list of car and extras, what are the items under discussion?
I think I'll be playing the game of a completely loaded/ordered 'base' Panamera (RWD) with the new 3.0T or, depending on how it turns out, a very lightly optioned GTS or, door number three, something on the lightly used market that is a higher-trim, higher-optioned car (if it is 'just right').

To generally list, starting with a base Panamera:
- Carmine Red or Sapphire Blue Metallic (huge price gap already )
- The new 21" Spyder wheel option (stunning)
- Memory Seats (14 or 18 way?)
- Gloss Black Window Trim
- ParkAssist with Reversing Camera (possibly standard now)
- Thermally & Noise Insulated Glass (?)
- SportDesign Front, Sides & Rear in body color(a must)
- Air Outlet Grilles Painted
- PASM
- Air Suspension (?)
- PCCB (?)
- Sport Chrono (?)
- Adaptive Cruise (?)
- Seat Ventilation (Front) (?)
- Steering Wheel Heating
- Seat Belts in Silver Grey (if Blue); guards red (if Carmine)
- Porsche Crest in Headrests
- Brushed Aluminum Interior Package
- Gear Selector in Brushed Aluminum
- Bose (?)

Lots to research and discuss, lots to test out over the next few years... but that is the fun of it!

Old 07-18-2016, 09:50 PM
NiceCar Is a GOD !NiceCar Is a GOD !NiceCar Is a GOD !NiceCar Is a GOD !NiceCar Is a GOD !NiceCar Is a GOD !NiceCar Is a GOD !NiceCar Is a GOD !NiceCar Is a GOD !NiceCar Is a GOD !NiceCar Is a GOD !
Things like options might change somewhat in the next few years.

Old 07-23-2016, 11:06 AM
Chris R is on a distinguished road
I have the air suspension. I wanna say it's a must.
I have the Bose. I love it. Way better than stock
I have the ventilated seats. I could take them or leave them. But it was part of the package.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Option Questions - Adaptive Air, Laminated Glass, Ventalated Seats, etc.