Panamera The 4-dour coupe by Porsche
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Option Questions - Adaptive Air, Laminated Glass, Ventalated Seats, etc.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-14-2016, 02:04 PM
Bleser will become famous soon enough
Option Questions - Adaptive Air, Laminated Glass, Ventalated Seats, etc.

Hello Panamera owners and prospective buyers,

As you all know there are a myriad of options for these Porsches and it seems the only way to get real answers is by talking to real owners. I've been build the 2017 G2 seemingly daily since the configurator came out and there are a few options on the Panamera (G1 and G2) that I wanted to get some opinions on and/or had confusion about.
  • Adaptive Air Suspension incl. PASM w/o Sport Chrono- although I understand this option, I'm curious what the effect of the 25mm lowering feature (when put in Sport Plus) is if one does not order Sport Chrono? It seems Sport Chrono is the only way to get Sport Plus, yet AAS doesn't force you to add it. So...
  • Thermally & Noise Insulated Glass - has anyone found anything definitive on how much of a change this option makes? Is it worth it? It seems to be one of those things that you would never know the difference w/o back-to-back comparisons.
  • Seat Ventilation - I've read that this is just air circulation and not cooled air. I think a good test would be a Panamera on the lot that has been sitting in the sun and then jumping in, turning on the A/C and ventilated seat and seeing how much it helps. I've read that the holes for the ventilation can wear poorly over time with some leather cleaners, so I'd want to be sure it is really worth it.
  • Adaptive Cruise Control (ACC) incl. Porsche Active Safe (PAS) - this is an expensive option but I feel it will have to be standard on new cars before long. You can't get people to put down their phones but you can make your car always pay attention and stop itself. Anyone have this option and regret choosing it?
  • Basic stereo - I don't want to start yet another Basic vs. Bose vs. Burmester thread, but is the basic stereo really *that* bad - i.e. a guy with a Jetta who listens to sports talk radio would be shocked?

Thank in advance!

Old 07-14-2016, 04:57 PM
NiceCar Is a GOD !NiceCar Is a GOD !NiceCar Is a GOD !NiceCar Is a GOD !NiceCar Is a GOD !NiceCar Is a GOD !NiceCar Is a GOD !NiceCar Is a GOD !NiceCar Is a GOD !NiceCar Is a GOD !NiceCar Is a GOD !
The thermal glass is great. I really appreciated it in Death Valley when it was 123 degrees F. The car didn't even need the windows opened when I got back in after parking for lunch. You barely hear a thing outside the car either. No question that I'd get it again.

I have the alcantara seats (no ventilation) and I can also attest that they were not hot after that Death Valley lunch either. So you might consider them if they're available.

From what I've heard the basic stereo is worth replacing.

Old 07-14-2016, 05:14 PM
XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !
I can tell you my opinion on the insulated glass. I don't see many cars on the market with this option but it is great. It really shows its worth especially living in S. Florida.

As far as the cooled seats well.... if you live in a hot climate - they are handy.

Old 07-14-2016, 06:00 PM
2thfxr is on a distinguished road
Had ventilated seats on 2 Lexus cars, cools the black interior seats fast if they have been in the sun. I would think it would be a negative for resale if you do not upgrade the stereo to Bose. Someone else commented on this site that the insulated windows were not worth it and he thought it was a waste of money, all I know.

Old 07-15-2016, 05:39 AM
How did you decide between the thermal/noise glass or not? Did you do back to back drives with cars with and without the option? I assume it is better but how noticeable is the question. Is there any way to visually tell it is different (I assume not)?

Am I correct that the cooled seats simply move cabin air against your back? Are they noisy? Yes, the GTS model will be on the list and this may not end up being an option.

Old 07-15-2016, 08:08 AM
OEkun1 has a spectacular aura aboutOEkun1 has a spectacular aura aboutOEkun1 has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by Bleser
How did you decide between the thermal/noise glass or not? Did you do back to back drives with cars with and without the option? I assume it is better but how noticeable is the question. Is there any way to visually tell it is different (I assume not)?

Am I correct that the cooled seats simply move cabin air against your back? Are they noisy? Yes, the GTS model will be on the list and this may not end up being an option.
Commenting on the cooled seats...the blower is likely pulling cabin air, and cooling it to your back and bum. It is actually a bit noisy if you have nothing else on. Using mine this past weekend, it actually drove me crazy as a I heard the noise from the blower (forgetting I had them on) when I turned the radio down. But with the radio/music playing and driving on the highway it wasn't noticeable.

Old 07-15-2016, 09:27 AM
cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !
ventilated seat are a must IMO, keeps you much more comfortable in addition to the AC. As far as noise that s like being concerned that you can hear your AC or heat when it s on. You ll get over that as you sit comfortable!
My guess is that it pulls air in , not blow out. ?? Removes heat/moisture from your body against seating surface.

Last edited by cerbomark; 07-15-2016 at 09:32 AM.
Old 07-15-2016, 10:05 AM
dnsacks will become famous soon enough
Adaptive cruise control is a fun option to have, especially if you drive in traffic -- set its speed to whatever you want your top speed to be (say, 75mph) and it'll maintain distance to the car in front of you and pace at that car's speed until/unless you hit the set speed. If trafic slows/stops, it will slow/come to a complete stop without driver intervention and resume operation once you touch the accelerator pedal --

We also have the vented seats and appreciate the airflow they provide on hot days.

Old 07-15-2016, 01:49 PM
Thank you for everyone's input. Appreciate the comments! More feedback is welcome!

Old 07-15-2016, 06:24 PM
Pieter97 is on a distinguished road
feedback on options

I have all the options you mention in my Panamera, including the 'basic' stereo.

This is my only regret. I feel that the basic stereo sounds worse than any cheap rental car.

I test drove a 2014 Panny GTS with Burmester, and I was very impressed.
I don't have experience with the Bose upgrade, but I hear it is not that good either.

Air suspension: awesome.

ACC: awesome

Heat & Noise resistant glass: very much needed in the hot FL sun.

Seat Ventilation: I don't have it.

Good luck with your choices, I love my Panamera.

Old 07-15-2016, 08:22 PM
PanaTaco is on a distinguished road
I have all of those options and love every one of them. I rarely use the seat vents, probably because the car doesn't get too hot with the heat & sound insulated glass.
I absolutely love the Burmester.

Last edited by PanaTaco; 07-15-2016 at 11:12 PM.
Old 07-15-2016, 09:36 PM
nephew is on a distinguished road
I have the first four options + Burmester - my car was a press car so it has a ton of options although I suspect there is a lot more that could go into my car.

Anyhow, the best option is the adaptive cruise control - truly awesome and useful option that I would never not get again.

I can't tell you if thermal Windows are worth it as I do not have a point of reference but I can see that there is a film/tint on all windows including the windshield.

I also don't know if the ventilated seats are cooled but I can really only feel them when I'm wearing shorts and a t-shirt. If I'm wearing work clothes, I can't really feel it. Regardless, I like them.

I can however feel the air suspension. Big diff between normal, sport and sport+.

As I have said in prior posts, I'm not impressed with Burmester, but it may be worth it. To be better, Burmester needs an equalizer.

Old 07-16-2016, 01:52 AM
Jafetica888 is a splendid one to beholdJafetica888 is a splendid one to beholdJafetica888 is a splendid one to beholdJafetica888 is a splendid one to beholdJafetica888 is a splendid one to beholdJafetica888 is a splendid one to beholdJafetica888 is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by "[*
Adaptive Air Suspension incl. PASM w/o Sport Chrono- although I understand this option, I'm curious what the effect of the 25mm lowering feature (when put in Sport Plus) is if one does not order Sport Chrono? It seems Sport Chrono is the only way to get Sport Plus, yet AAS doesn't force you to add it.[*]Seat Ventilation - I've read that this is just air circulation and not cooled air. I think a good test would be a Panamera on the lot that has been sitting in the sun and then jumping in, turning on the A/C and ventilated seat and seeing how much it helps. I've read that the holes for the ventilation can wear poorly over time with some leather cleaners, so I'd want to be sure it is really worth it. [
*]Adaptive Cruise Control (ACC) incl. Porsche Active Safe (PAS) - this is an expensive option but I feel it will have to be standard on new cars before long. You can't get people to put down their phones but you can make your car always pay attention and stop itself. Anyone have this option and regret choosing it? [*]Basic stereo - I don't want to start yet another Basic vs. Bose vs. Burmester thread, but is the basic stereo really *that* bad - i.e. a guy with a Jetta who listens to sports talk radio would be shocked? Thank in advance!
I love the air suspension, though would make the Sports Chrono a must have first and foremost Sear Ventilation: works great, again, highly recommended, it is on daily in the summer (I don't have any noise issues, can't hear it unless standing with motor off at stoplight) ACC: Great to have in stop and go driving and on busy highways Basic stereo: not great and might be a challenge in resale. Bose seems to be a good compromise

Old 07-16-2016, 03:16 PM
2thfxr is on a distinguished road
cooled seat ventilation is an incorrect term to use, the fans use the inside cabin air to circulate thru the vent holes in the seat bottom and back rest. In no way is the air cooled by the system, but hot leather is cooled because of the air movement of the ambiant cabin temperature, they work great on black leather.

Old 07-16-2016, 04:28 PM
Jafetica888 is a splendid one to beholdJafetica888 is a splendid one to beholdJafetica888 is a splendid one to beholdJafetica888 is a splendid one to beholdJafetica888 is a splendid one to beholdJafetica888 is a splendid one to beholdJafetica888 is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by 2thfxr
cooled seat ventilation is an incorrect term to use, the fans use the inside cabin air to circulate thru the vent holes in the seat bottom and back rest. In no way is the air cooled by the system, but hot leather is cooled because of the air movement of the ambiant cabin temperature, they work great on black leather.
Still cooling the seats as the air is cooler than the leather ...

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Option Questions - Adaptive Air, Laminated Glass, Ventalated Seats, etc.