Panamera The 4-dour coupe by Porsche
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How reliable is your panamera?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-24-2016, 05:16 PM
mwvh is on a distinguished road
I've now had two months of trouble free driving. What a pleasure...
I think that many of the earlier cars tend to experience some reliability issues around 4-5 year anniversary, but once those are taken car of properly they tend to be pretty solid overall.
The 2010-13 panamera's seem to have more issues than the 14 onwards.
Front end knocking, air suspension, some electronics seem to be the main issues.

Old 11-24-2016, 06:45 PM
RDS993 is a name known to allRDS993 is a name known to allRDS993 is a name known to allRDS993 is a name known to allRDS993 is a name known to allRDS993 is a name known to all
My 2010 turbo always has "Chassis suspension failure" warning code when ever the temp drops below 40 degrees. So fustrating for a 180k + super car.

Old 11-25-2016, 04:42 PM
mto
mto has much to be proud ofmto has much to be proud ofmto has much to be proud ofmto has much to be proud ofmto has much to be proud ofmto has much to be proud ofmto has much to be proud ofmto has much to be proud ofmto has much to be proud of
4.8 Pano here, so minor issues covered under warranty. Goes in next week to replace the aluminum cam bolts with steel ones. Also think they said will replace a sprocket while in there. Fortunately covered by CPO.

Old 11-27-2016, 11:55 AM
Ride4Life Rossi is an unknown quantity at this point
My 2010 ptt I have owned her for a month now and I put a bit over 5000km. This car is by far the best car I have ever owned. Plus I have bumper to bumper warranty until 2019 or a additional 80000km. So far I have only done a oil change

Old 11-27-2016, 02:54 PM
mziegler38 is on a distinguished road
I now have 7K miles on my 2016 GTS and it has been perfect in every way. What a pleasure.

Old 12-03-2016, 08:05 AM
robhamster has a spectacular aura aboutrobhamster has a spectacular aura about
17,000 miles on my 2014 PTT without a hitch. Previous post on my 2012 P4S told of engine failure at 19K and subsequent issues that caused me to trade up to the 2014 PTT that PCNA hooked me up with. It was an "executive" car that their folks in Los Angeles used to run around town when there. When they first told me about the car, I thought it would be a low optioned beater of a PTT with high mileage. It was a beautiful, well optioned car with 2100 miles on it. They made me a tremendous deal (September of 2015) and I have never looked back. Quite the difference between a P4S and PTT, all good.

Old 04-01-2017, 06:40 AM
orangeokie is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by GSP
I have a 2013 CPO Pan GTS. Excellent car and no issues.

From my Ferrari experience I would only add that it is important for these cars to have a good battery. If you don't make a habit of keeping it on a battery charger when not driven much (longer than three days) buy a new battery after four years. Low battery voltage seems to cause a whole pile of electrical issues. The best thing that you can do for these cars is use a battery tender. Manufacturers (except Ferrari they are very clear about this) are hesitant to tell customers that they need to keep their petrol cars plugged in, but this does solve a lot of problems proactively IMO. This is also my experience with BMW's - a fact that was confirmed to me by a friend who is a senior warranty tech manager with BMWNA
This is excellent and accurate advice.

Old 04-01-2017, 10:30 AM
chance6 is a splendid one to beholdchance6 is a splendid one to beholdchance6 is a splendid one to beholdchance6 is a splendid one to beholdchance6 is a splendid one to beholdchance6 is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by mwvh
Believe it or not, after a total 7 visits and 150 days in the dealership, Porsche finally found the cause of all the car's problems. It was simply a short between two wires under the drivers seat (see pics below). Apparently it was a short to positive that was taking down the whole CAN. I can't believe that such small wires can cause so much trouble... Anyhow, I've very happy to finally get my car back.

At first glance I wonder if this really is the issue? The wires look a tad chafed but nothing seems incredibly alarming about this picture.

Old 04-05-2017, 06:11 PM
PDXstacy is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by chance6
At first glance I wonder if this really is the issue? The wires look a tad chafed but nothing seems incredibly alarming about this picture.
If I look very closely at the red wire, I see bare copper and it looks like the wire had been pinched or compressed. If that's a power wire and touches something metal on the seat, which is electrically grounded to the car, you could have issues. Hope for the OP's sake this is the culprit.

Old 04-09-2017, 01:54 PM
mwvh is on a distinguished road
It's been 6 months now and the car is working great and feels reliable again, so this really must have been the cause. True that it's such a small cut, but I guess that's all it takes to take down the CAN...

Old 04-09-2017, 08:21 PM
hummerchine is on a distinguished road
I've got a 2010 4s...bought it new nearly 6 years ago, 56k miles. The high pressure fuel pump failed first year, Porsche put it on a truck and drove it ~100 miles to fix it in warranty. Otherwise it's been a tank...most reliable car I've ever owned.

Love it!

Old 05-05-2017, 11:27 PM
dougcayenne has a spectacular aura aboutdougcayenne has a spectacular aura aboutdougcayenne has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by mwvh
I’m relatively new tothis forum and this is my first post.
12 months ago I purchaseda beautiful 2011 Panamera Turbo with only 34K miles. It was just out ofwarranty, but given the excellent condition and clean maintenance records, Ithought I was taking very little risk. Well, that was until the electronicsstarted acting up…

-1stproblem:after just 4 months ofownership a “Chassis system failure” message started appearing and I noticesome clunking noises coming from the front end, every time I turned sharply.So, I returned to the PC and they told me that the compressor needed changingand that most of the front suspension needed replacing (apparently common onearly Panameras), for a total expected bill of over $8K. After some discussionsPCNA agreed to cover most of this expense, despite the absence of warranty.Final bill was just under 3K.

-2ndproblem: two weeks later, a headlight control fault started displaying. So, Ireturned to the PC and they diagnosed a worn out battery, which I agreed tochange for a total cost of $800.

-3rdproblem: two weeks later again, the Headlight control fault re-appeared, so I onceagain returned to my local PC. This time, after much trouble trying toreplicate the problem, they diagnosed a faulty alternator, which costs $2.5K toreplace.Once again, after somediscussions with PCNA, the final bill ended up at around $1.5K.

-4thproblem: two weeks later again, the headlight control fault re-appeared, butthis time with other faults, such as check engine and sport mode failure.On the drive to the PC, the car started to gomad:The whole dash and radio switchedoff and then back on again multiple times, it started displaying multiplefaults, the windshield wipers started to operate on their own, the rear wing cameout and back in in again multiple times, all this while the car was stilldriving normally. After days of investigation they diagnosed a short happeningon a wire in a fender. Apparently it was grounding out and taking downcommunications to the gateway module. So, small fix, with no charge.

-5thproblem: three weeks later, same exact faults re-appeared.This time the PC replaced the gateway controlmodule and some other electronic components. Once again, PCNA covered the costof this replacement, but put 700miles of testing on the car to be sure it wasfixed.

-6thproblem: two months later, a new error appeared: windshield wiper defective. So,I returned the car to the PC, where they diagnosed a defective wiper motor. Thecost $700.

-7thproblem: one month later, all the previous daemons returned: warning messages /dashboard switched off and on etc etc. The car is now sitting at the PC, whereit’s been for the last 3 weeks. They’ve diagnosed a short circuit, somewhere on thevehicle, but simply can’t find where it is.

I have to say that Iused to love this car, but I’ve since lost faith in it. I’ve been drivingloaner cars for 120 of my 365 days of ownership and even though these are very niceCayenne’s, they’re just not as nice to drive as my own car.

Has anyone else outthere had a similar experience? If so, how was it resolved?

So far, my local PChas been great to work with and PCNA has also been good, by standing over theirbrand and contributing to some of the costs, despite the warranty being expired. However, I don’t know if I can regain confidence in this car or the brand (I also had alot of electronic problems with my 997S).

If interested, I will post an update if/when all is resolved.
I am so sorry to hear that you have so many problems with Pan. I have 2014 pan4s, so far is so good no issues yet. I bought the car under CPO last year so my car will be covered to 2020. it is 33K miles now. At least PCNA is working with you to cover some costs. I would be unhappy if I had to pay the bill in full. Hope they will resolve these issues. Did you bring your PAN to other dealer for 2nd opinion?

Old 05-06-2017, 05:00 AM
orangeokie is an unknown quantity at this point
The moral of the story for me is to buy an extended warranty. Of course, that is another complete thread with the wide range of warranty prices and coverage options. I recently purchased a 2012 turbo with 18K miles. I bought it out of state and drove it back to Oklahoma City. The local dealer has offered a 7-year 48K mile warranty for $3800. Sounds very reasonable to me. I really love this car.

Old 05-06-2017, 12:10 PM
dougcayenne has a spectacular aura aboutdougcayenne has a spectacular aura aboutdougcayenne has a spectacular aura about
Smile

Originally Posted by orangeokie
The moral of the story for me is to buy an extended warranty. Of course, that is another complete thread with the wide range of warranty prices and coverage options. I recently purchased a 2012 turbo with 18K miles. I bought it out of state and drove it back to Oklahoma City. The local dealer has offered a 7-year 48K mile warranty for $3800. Sounds very reasonable to me. I really love this car.
Thank you for the tip. I should check with my local dealers to see whether they offer Extended Warranty. I have 2 more years to go with Porsche Warranty. $$$ repair.

Old 12-25-2017, 12:21 PM
Ride4Life Rossi is an unknown quantity at this point
I have a 2010 PTT that I have had for 14 months now, I got it with 50,000km on it, I put another 50,000km over the past 14 months. So far I have changed all coil packs and spark plugs, two axles. That’s about it car is very reliable

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.