Panamera The 4-dour coupe by Porsche
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DIY Air Suspension help

Old 11-08-2016, 11:59 AM
Kumar Patel is an unknown quantity at this point
DIY Air Suspension help

New to the forum (and Porsche)

Recently bought a 2010 Panamera Turbo...worked great for a month or two, but now starting to have a few issues. I'm a fairly competent mechanic and bought an older Panny knowing I would have to work on it a bit.

It's been sitting in the garage for some time now (couple months, been driving my truck). Out of nowhere the front right strut started to deflate...but it does charge back up when the car is on...takes about 3 hours or so to deflate. This has been happening for a month.

NOW...the rear left air strut is deflating too...and I haven't even driven it!

I find it hard to believe that both went bad at similar times with little to no use. Could it be a leak at a common point (like the pump?). Previous owner did replace the pump the month just before I bought it. Maybe the Indy didn't tighten connections?

These struts are big-time money, if it's not my pump, do you all know if there are rebuild kits (I can't seem to find any) or possible "known issues" that have a fix for the pump and/or air strut? I can't imagine it's something big given the slow leak nature and it's ability to actually hold the car level when turned on.

Any assistance greatly appreciated! oh, and is there a preferred factory service manual to buy/download?

Thanks!

Old 11-08-2016, 01:58 PM
hollynitro is on a distinguished road
my suggestions is to check with porsche computer , and make sure your strut is leaked. if yes.. i only know that you have to replace with the new one . you can only buy the air strut , no need to buy the whole package . as my knowledge about air suspension , they can't be fixed .. this is the most problem i hate about a car having air suspension.

Old 11-08-2016, 03:03 PM
Originally Posted by hollynitro
my suggestions is to check with porsche computer , and make sure your strut is leaked. if yes.. i only know that you have to replace with the new one . you can only buy the air strut , no need to buy the whole package . as my knowledge about air suspension , they can't be fixed .. this is the most problem i hate about a car having air suspension.
Didn't know the computer would have a notice in it, will check as I do have the cable.

What is the air strut vs the "whole package". do you mean all i need is the bladder portion and the rest can be transplanted (like the fork)?

thanks.

Old 11-08-2016, 03:27 PM
Does anyone know where the air compressor and air valve body are located? I have a feeling that the lines may have come lose when the prior Indy did a repair. I find it odd that both bags wold go at very similar time while sitting in garage. so I wanted to trace the air lines and their connections first. I need to find a really good service manual...hard to find info for the DIY guy on Pannies

Old 11-08-2016, 05:32 PM
riden has a spectacular aura aboutriden has a spectacular aura aboutriden has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by Kumar Patel
New to the forum (and Porsche)

Recently bought a 2010 Panamera Turbo...worked great for a month or two, but now starting to have a few issues. I'm a fairly competent mechanic and bought an older Panny knowing I would have to work on it a bit.

It's been sitting in the garage for some time now (couple months, been driving my truck). Out of nowhere the front right strut started to deflate...but it does charge back up when the car is on...takes about 3 hours or so to deflate. This has been happening for a month.

NOW...the rear left air strut is deflating too...and I haven't even driven it!

I find it hard to believe that both went bad at similar times with little to no use. Could it be a leak at a common point (like the pump?). Previous owner did replace the pump the month just before I bought it. Maybe the Indy didn't tighten connections?

These struts are big-time money, if it's not my pump, do you all know if there are rebuild kits (I can't seem to find any) or possible "known issues" that have a fix for the pump and/or air strut? I can't imagine it's something big given the slow leak nature and it's ability to actually hold the car level when turned on.

Any assistance greatly appreciated! oh, and is there a preferred factory service manual to buy/download?

Thanks!
I did come across an online company that sells a spring and shock assembly but unfortunately I don't recall the name. You have to turn in the old assembly so presumably they are rebuilt. Porsche has suppliers for these parts so they have to be available somewhere.

Old 11-09-2016, 10:32 AM
JayFunk is a jewel in the roughJayFunk is a jewel in the roughJayFunk is a jewel in the rough
LET ME KNOW IF YOU FIND SOMETHING! I'm having the exact same prob minus the rear sagging. need to get this fixed before the winter hits and can't be spending $$$$$ especially if its something simple.

Old 11-09-2016, 04:17 PM
cheetos72 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Kumar Patel
Does anyone know where the air compressor and air valve body are located? I have a feeling that the lines may have come lose when the prior Indy did a repair. I find it odd that both bags wold go at very similar time while sitting in garage. so I wanted to trace the air lines and their connections first. I need to find a really good service manual...hard to find info for the DIY guy on Pannies
I believe the air tank is in the rear of the car around the rear seats (in the underside-not in the cabin) does sound like that is the problem. I've heard that was a common issue.

Maybe this will help:

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...lure-help.html

Last edited by cheetos72; 11-09-2016 at 04:23 PM.
Old 11-12-2016, 06:27 AM
amgpan is an unknown quantity at this point
Compressor is located under the car near the rear diff in the centre of the car, a previous reply kinda under the rear seats (accessed from the underside of the car)

I had similar problem, and turned out to be a bad valve block. Replaced it and fixed the problem. But i cant remember where the valve block was located.

Plug it into Diagnostics, even semi basic one like current model AUTEL does the job fine.
You can still test quite a bit with that.

Old 11-12-2016, 12:38 PM
DYL 911 is a name known to allDYL 911 is a name known to allDYL 911 is a name known to allDYL 911 is a name known to allDYL 911 is a name known to allDYL 911 is a name known to all
Surprisingly both my front struts were leaking after tons of troubleshooting. I looked everywhere for replacements at decent pricing. Nothing. I ended up using Rebuild Master Tech. They sent me fully rebuilt OEM struts. I spoke to one of the technicians and they explained to me the exact process of testing them, fixing them and then retesting them multiple times to ensure a proper rebuild. Shipping was fast. My down time was about 5 days. I shipped from NY. They were great. I've had zero issues.

Old 11-13-2016, 11:08 AM
Originally Posted by amgpan
Compressor is located under the car near the rear diff in the centre of the car, a previous reply kinda under the rear seats (accessed from the underside of the car)

I had similar problem, and turned out to be a bad valve block. Replaced it and fixed the problem. But i cant remember where the valve block was located.

Plug it into Diagnostics, even semi basic one like current model AUTEL does the job fine.
You can still test quite a bit with that.
the valve block is located about left hand side of the compressor . but , better make sure that you plug into diagnostic that's the one you need to replace .

Old 11-13-2016, 11:09 AM
Originally Posted by DYL 911
Surprisingly both my front struts were leaking after tons of troubleshooting. I looked everywhere for replacements at decent pricing. Nothing. I ended up using Rebuild Master Tech. They sent me fully rebuilt OEM struts. I spoke to one of the technicians and they explained to me the exact process of testing them, fixing them and then retesting them multiple times to ensure a proper rebuild. Shipping was fast. My down time was about 5 days. I shipped from NY. They were great. I've had zero issues.
Nice info on Rebuild Master Tech , and how much it cost to you ?

Old 12-10-2016, 06:53 PM
I think it might be my valve block. Can't hear any leaks on the right side, car does level when on (compressor working), sprayed soapy water on all the lines, air bladders, and fittings (no bubbles). So I'm hoping its as easy as replacing the valve block...similar to an earlier poster mentioning it.

Old 12-13-2016, 01:49 PM
bebeqq1231 is on a distinguished road
If you left up the car, you will see a compressor by the differential.

Old 02-15-2017, 04:01 AM
Lars_Tempest is on a distinguished road
Hi Kumar,
Assuming you fixed the problem, would you mind sharing what it was ? That would obviously help others..
I have a similar problem on my Bentley GT..

Old 02-15-2017, 12:05 PM
Sorry for the delay...

I replaced the air valve block and it didn't fix the problem. So I went ahead and bought a used air strut assembly and installed it. That fixed the problem. I should note, it was a super slow leak, and I think it came from hitting a pot hole while in sport plus mode. These cars are definitely sensitive

K

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: DIY Air Suspension help