Panamera The 4-dour coupe by Porsche
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Member (2010 P4S) with another tire question (sorry)

Old 11-30-2016, 08:10 PM
toofless is an unknown quantity at this point
New Member (2010 P4S) with another tire question (sorry)

Hey community,

Super-excited to be a new member of this site, mostly by virtue of the fact that I just took possession of a 2010 Panny 4S with 20,000 miles; this is my first post. I've done all of the searching that I can think to do, but I haven't come up with an answer to my question:

I live in Denver and I have always found problems with TPMS at altitudes. The Panny came off of the delivery truck last night, and one of my first tasks was to take it to my local, trusted tire company. Sure enough, the TPMS is reading 3 lbs low on all four corners. This is with summer tires (Conti 3's) and I am planning on buying winter tires soon, but the basic fact is that the car thinks that my tires are 3 lbs lower than they are.

Because I can program the car to the tire type/size, my question is...whom (what) should I trust, and on which measures. So, if the car knows that it's wearing 19" summer tires but it thinks the pressure is 3 lbs lower than it actually is, how does that play into A) what the tire sticker on the car says (43 rear/37 front) and how should that all play into the whole comfort vs. [whatever] calculations that the car is making in its settings?

I have read that people are getting pretty good results in the 36-39 lbs range on all four corners, but I don't know how/if this translates to the magic that the car is trying to do in recommending the pressures that I need to relieve and/or supplement right now. For example, the TMPS/ECM is currently telling me that I should reduce tire pressure on all four corners, even though I know that those numbers would be WAY below the sticker recommendations on the door frame, and only exacerbated by the fact that the system thinks that the tires are at a lower pressure than (consistent) readings from other, known-good pressure sensors.

If you have real experience on actual, recommended tire pressures for the 19" PTT wheels on a Panny 4S for winter AND/OR summer tires, I would really appreciate your insight.

Best,
Joe

Old 12-01-2016, 02:19 PM
cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !
I have no experience with those types of altitudes and TPM s not reading correctly. I have 19 PTT wheels (all season tires) and run at the door PSI s... The TPMs read the same as my hand gauge tells me (within 1 LB)... So I would chose my PSI and use a hand gauge to fix my PSI. Maybe someone put the wrong TPMs on your car???

Old 12-04-2016, 04:49 PM
2thfxr is on a distinguished road
I live in a Denver suburb and I put snow tires on 19" wheels in wintertime. I just pressure them to the owners manual rating and the TPMS readings are the same as my hand gauge. Can't imagine what is wrong for you, unless the batteries are dying in the sensors and sending incorrect readings. No one seems to know how long these batteries last as none have started failing yet.

Old 12-05-2016, 05:57 AM
cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !
IN my 09 the batteries were 6 years old but depends on use too as they go to sleep on a garage queen. My durametric tool (and the dealrs tools) can read the time left on battery life FYI.

Old 12-08-2016, 08:09 AM
Leslierc is a jewel in the roughLeslierc is a jewel in the roughLeslierc is a jewel in the rough
What about using nitrogen instead of air? Congrats on the car! As a former P4S owner myself I only have good things to say about this car.

Old 12-09-2016, 11:42 AM
Ride4Life Rossi is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by toofless
Hey community,

Super-excited to be a new member of this site, mostly by virtue of the fact that I just took possession of a 2010 Panny 4S with 20,000 miles; this is my first post. I've done all of the searching that I can think to do, but I haven't come up with an answer to my question:

I live in Denver and I have always found problems with TPMS at altitudes. The Panny came off of the delivery truck last night, and one of my first tasks was to take it to my local, trusted tire company. Sure enough, the TPMS is reading 3 lbs low on all four corners. This is with summer tires (Conti 3's) and I am planning on buying winter tires soon, but the basic fact is that the car thinks that my tires are 3 lbs lower than they are.

Because I can program the car to the tire type/size, my question is...whom (what) should I trust, and on which measures. So, if the car knows that it's wearing 19" summer tires but it thinks the pressure is 3 lbs lower than it actually is, how does that play into A) what the tire sticker on the car says (43 rear/37 front) and how should that all play into the whole comfort vs. [whatever] calculations that the car is making in its settings?

I have read that people are getting pretty good results in the 36-39 lbs range on all four corners, but I don't know how/if this translates to the magic that the car is trying to do in recommending the pressures that I need to relieve and/or supplement right now. For example, the TMPS/ECM is currently telling me that I should reduce tire pressure on all four corners, even though I know that those numbers would be WAY below the sticker recommendations on the door frame, and only exacerbated by the fact that the system thinks that the tires are at a lower pressure than (consistent) readings from other, known-good pressure sensors.

If you have real experience on actual, recommended tire pressures for the 19" PTT wheels on a Panny 4S for winter AND/OR summer tires, I would really appreciate your insight.

Best,
Joe
My 19' winters are @ 40Psi all four corners. Never had a problem.

Old 12-09-2016, 11:44 AM
Ride4Life Rossi is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by Leslierc
What about using nitrogen instead of air? Congrats on the car! As a former P4S owner myself I only have good things to say about this car.
I find Nitrogen better because nitrogen doesn't leak like regular air does in cold temperatures.

Old 12-09-2016, 05:07 PM
not that it leaks but does not change pressure because of temps like air does...

Old 12-12-2016, 10:07 AM
I have 19 s OEM all season (conti s maybe) and my door says 32-36 and that s about what I run. I put another 2 lbs during cold weather as it will drop pressure. No issues.

Old 12-12-2016, 01:15 PM
robhamster has a spectacular aura aboutrobhamster has a spectacular aura about
I live in Denver and run 78% Nitrogen in all four tires! I have not had an issue with altitude but I do with the first cold morning of the year, which was last week. I always add more and typically run 38 psi in the front and 42 in the back on 20" all season.

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.