Panamera The 4-dour coupe by Porsche
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My first Porsche rant (EVER)

Old 03-25-2017, 01:40 PM
cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !
My first Porsche rant (EVER)

After two Porsches and many years here I have my first complaint about Porsche. The Paint. Some will identify right away and others will not have a clue what I m seeing or saying.
I was at a Porsche dealer the other day confirming my thoughts. Looking at dozens of new and newer cars I found that under the right light and angle they all showed signs of micro marring (swirls etc). Even some new cars which may have been washed a few times. Seems like even when washing and drying correctly the Porsche paint is subject more than other cars I ve owned. I do lots of detailing, some for money as a hobby and am known for perfect detailed cars. I have posted both my Porsches with pics of full paint correction to removes these but only find them to return very quickly as I wash at least once a week. The saleman then starts showing me new Porsches that have been fully wrapped with clear film at a cost of $6 grand to prevent this. Nonsense IMO. The paint should be a little more durable and forgiving IMO.
I have other brands with 100K miles and have never had to polish or cut the marring and swirls. I made the mistake of getting a dark color against my best judgement this time and will probably use the lease pull ahead program to get out at first chance. Sorry for the neg post but would hope Porsche would read these forums and identify the issue. Doing a Goggle search I see others have posted the same about Porsche on various sites. I do enjoy the Pana and drive this car (unlike others) no matter the weather and conditions. Great driving cars for sure... end of rant.

Old 03-25-2017, 03:05 PM
riden has a spectacular aura aboutriden has a spectacular aura aboutriden has a spectacular aura about
I agree cerbomark. My experience with BMW clearcoat is much better. They chip easily but they seem to resist swirling. Would be nice if were easy to reapply clearcoat but apparently that's as much labor as a repaint.
If people only bought white to mask the swirls I'm sure the paint industry would find a fix rather quickly.

Old 03-26-2017, 08:56 AM
rmjjensen has a spectacular aura aboutrmjjensen has a spectacular aura aboutrmjjensen has a spectacular aura about
I actually just noticed the other day that the car is full of hairline scratches in the clear. Granted it's 5 years old but still somewhat disappointing.

I believe these cars are actually painted in a VW factory? Not 100% sure but I know the "body" comes from its own plant.

Old 03-26-2017, 03:15 PM
2thfxr is on a distinguished road
That is why I do not get dark colored cars anymore, first one was black and it was the last black I will ever own. My P4 is Platinum silver!

Old 03-26-2017, 03:19 PM
cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by 2thfxr
That is why I do not get dark colored cars anymore, first one was black and it was the last black I will ever own. My P4 is Platinum silver!
Yes, I agree and my 911 was white. The marks are still there, they just don t show as easily.

Old 03-28-2017, 02:25 PM
Trying to find a solution for the next year or so and ordered the torq foam cannon to presoap etc, and the wash bucket grit grate along with a second bucket method from now on. Will re polish and start again. Maybe the sand /salt winter environment is not helping any.

Old 03-28-2017, 03:50 PM
OEkun1 has a spectacular aura aboutOEkun1 has a spectacular aura aboutOEkun1 has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by cerbomark
Trying to find a solution for the next year or so and ordered the torq foam cannon to presoap etc, and the wash bucket grit grate along with a second bucket method from now on. Will re polish and start again. Maybe the sand /salt winter environment is not helping any.
I look forward to your assessment. In fact I've been considering getting a rotary to replace my dual action for polishing the Panny.

Old 03-28-2017, 05:05 PM
Originally Posted by OEkun1
I look forward to your assessment. In fact I've been considering getting a rotary to replace my dual action for polishing the Panny.
I have a dewalt rotary but won t try it on this soft paint. I use it for boat polishing only. The issue is not getting marks out BUT keeping them out.

Other comments from other site// I went with the brush because it was advertised as being the softest, safest method. I have micro mitts but don t use them for the reason stated.

I have applied Cquartz a year ago. Worked well on another car but didn t help much with the Pana. It s a lease so I won t apply anything else this late into it. Just ordered foam cannon, two buckets with grit grates. I blow dry and micro towel lightly.

All, after so more research I am thinking the marring is coming during the wash. Car is used in heavy salt/sand winter environment and the grit on car is heavy after a storm etc...I wash at least once a week BTW. So I am going to try and stop this by pre washing (foam cannon, pressure washer) and then two bucket method to keep that grim down in the water. I am considering using the mitts instead of brush also??
BUT to keep my complaint alive , I have other vehicles that do not require this type of care to look good. Porsche paint is not forgiving at all IMO.
Ideas and thoughts welcome and appreciated ....

Old 03-28-2017, 05:13 PM
OEkun1 has a spectacular aura aboutOEkun1 has a spectacular aura aboutOEkun1 has a spectacular aura about
I have a dewalt rotary but won t try it on this soft paint. I use it for boat polishing only. The issue is not getting marks out BUT keeping them out.

Other comments from other site// I went with the brush because it was advertised as being the softest, safest method. I have micro mitts but don t use them for the reason stated.

I have applied Cquartz a year ago. Worked well on another car but didn t help much with the Pana. It s a lease so I won t apply anything else this late into it. Just ordered foam cannon, two buckets with grit grates. I blow dry and micro towel lightly.

All, after so more research I am thinking the marring is coming during the wash. Car is used in heavy salt/sand winter environment and the grit on car is heavy after a storm etc...I wash at least once a week BTW. So I am going to try and stop this by pre washing (foam cannon, pressure washer) and then two bucket method to keep that grim down in the water. I am considering using the mitts instead of brush also??
BUT to keep my complaint alive , I have other vehicles that do not require this type of care to look good. Porsche paint is not forgiving at all IMO.
Ideas and thoughts welcome and appreciated ....
Funny I was thinking about applying Cquartz to the Panny but I'll try a different product. I use the two bucket method, but need to implement the power washer piece, its just a pain to setup the power washer for washing the car.

Based on your feedback I may not go with the rotary on the Panny and just get a slightly more aggressive pad/polish. I think I still have some Menzerna in the garage that I may give a whirl.

On a side note, I'm not all that impressed with Cquartz as I don't think it held up well on my wife's Land Rover...although that thing has stupid soft paint...freaking car always looks like it got sandblasted on the front end...sigh. Need more hours in the days for detailing cars....

Old 03-28-2017, 05:18 PM
halb has a spectacular aura abouthalb has a spectacular aura abouthalb has a spectacular aura about
Cerbo I feel your pain. I have a black 2014 that I bought new and baby the heck out of this paint. I started from delivery with a foam gun and the 2 bucket method and so far so good. I use a Porter Cable 7424 but have only done one correction in my 3 years of ownership. I use a microfiber mitt and only make one pass on each side of the mitt before rinsing it. Air dry the car only. It's a ton of work but my black finish is perfect even in direct sunlight.

Old 03-28-2017, 05:20 PM
The rotary will like cause halograms and other swirling unless you have years of practice using it. I won t take the chance.
I have used the mezerna, pinnicle, reflects, 3M dark color compound, etc... LOL. White pads, orange pads, grey pads, black cloth type pad, it s down the rabbit hole for sure.
Not much good when the marks come back in a month.
The cquartz held up nice on my white Subi, but I went back to conventional wax after about a year.

Old 03-28-2017, 05:23 PM
Originally Posted by halb
Cerbo I feel your pain. I have a black 2014 that I bought new and baby the heck out of this paint. I started from delivery with a foam gun and the 2 bucket method and so far so good. I use a Porter Cable 7424 but have only done one correction in my 3 years of ownership. I use a microfiber mitt and only make one pass on each side of the mitt before rinsing it. Air dry the car only. It's a ton of work but my black finish is perfect even in direct sunlight.
Thanks, I use the PC 7424 also. I don t baby mine as far as the conditions I drive it in. Others have suggested the micro mitt instead of the boars hair brush. You have the secret if you can keep black swirl free.

Old 03-28-2017, 05:24 PM
The rotary will like cause halograms and other swirling unless you have years of practice using it. I won t take the chance.
I have used the mezerna, pinnicle, reflects, 3M dark color compound, etc... LOL. White pads, orange pads, grey pads, black cloth type pad, it s down the rabbit hole for sure.
Not much good when the marks come back in a month.
The cquartz held up nice on my white Subi, but I went back to conventional wax after about a year.
You are spot on regarding the pads and product choice...more like the Matrix though...Blue/Red pill....

My issue is I like driving the car so much, I never set aside the time to properly detail the car...needs a good clay bar, polish, sealer, wax and maybe the left over cquartz on the front end.

Old 03-28-2017, 05:26 PM
halb has a spectacular aura abouthalb has a spectacular aura abouthalb has a spectacular aura about
The Porter Cable is a great tool. You will not scratch or swirl the surface with this machine. Chemical Guys and AutoGeek websites have some fantastic videos about the use of the 7424 and the proper pads. Those pros all agree that damage occurs from improper wash technique. Not saying that's the case with your black paint but if you haven't seen these videos they are worth watching. Mike Phillips at AutoGeek is good with these instructional detailing videos.

Old 03-28-2017, 05:34 PM
here was my post after detailing and getting it nice looking (pics). It s blue not black.

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...-panamera.html

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.