Go Back   6speedonline.com Forums > The 6Speed Lifestyle > Real Estate
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Real Estate Discuss Real estate investments, home improvements, decorating etc.

Anyone here work for CBRE?

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-10-2008, 10:33 PM

So_Fresh is on a distinguished road
Anyone here work for CBRE?

Hey guys, I have always wanted to work for CBRE, and finally there is a perfect position open on their site that I've been waiting and waiting to come available.

If anyone has any advice for me on landing this job, feel free to share, I'm all ears so share away!

Thanks in advance!

P.S. If you do work for CBRE, please share how you got into the company, and how you like the company, likes, dislikes, etc.
Old 12-12-2008, 06:01 PM

bigman is on a distinguished road
I've been looking to make the jump to commercial for the last year. What is the opening? My uncle owns Northwest Corporate in the Auburn/Kent Valley and he said its the slowest he's seen in his 32 years in the biz. I'm waiting to see how things shake out next year before making the jump.
Old 12-15-2008, 11:20 AM

liquidassets has a reputation beyond reputeliquidassets has a reputation beyond reputeliquidassets has a reputation beyond reputeliquidassets has a reputation beyond reputeliquidassets has a reputation beyond reputeliquidassets has a reputation beyond reputeliquidassets has a reputation beyond reputeliquidassets has a reputation beyond reputeliquidassets has a reputation beyond reputeliquidassets has a reputation beyond reputeliquidassets has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by So_Fresh View Post
Hey guys, I have always wanted to work for CBRE, and finally there is a perfect position open on their site that I've been waiting and waiting to come available.

If anyone has any advice for me on landing this job, feel free to share, I'm all ears so share away!

Thanks in advance!

P.S. If you do work for CBRE, please share how you got into the company, and how you like the company, likes, dislikes, etc.
I was offered an internship at CBRE before graduating college. At the same time I received an internship from RKF, and eventually after debating a long time I actually accepted the RKF offer over CBRE. CBRE offered something called the wheel program and whatnot and seemed cool, but I was promised that I'd be working hand-in-hand with RKF; which appealed more to me. Futterman is possibly the strongest name when it comes to commercial/retail space in New York.

I interned there and was offered a position there, which I didn't take.

My internship there sucked. I didn't learn too much, and was never really given the chance to. As an intern, they had me set up as a canvasser, which is the entry level position they offered at RKF.

Basically everyday they sent me around New York (Manhattan & Brooklyn only) to map the area, which was not fun at all. I had to wear a suit to work everyday, regardless of the fact that my job was basically to walk around the city all day in 90+ weather. I would say I easily walked over 10 miles a day, probably closer to 16-18 miles a day in a suit. My feet had terrible blisters. They'd give me a clip board with aerial views of all the buildings on certain avenues and blocks and I'd have to write down every retail store on a block. So imagine me squeezing in 50 retail shops per block, not fun. Also I'd have to take pictures of everything.

The worst was when I was getting back to the office one day I was walking when I felt the ground rumble and within seconds I was attacked with debris of concrete and smoke. An underground steampipe had burst and I had been covered with all the smoke/debris. I had to cover my mouse with my shirt and run full speed .
Then they said that there were probably hazardous chemicals involved with that explosion and they instructed everyone who was strucken by it, to dispose of there clothes. I had to throw away a perfectly nice (although sweaty) Hugo Boss suit.

http://www.break.com/index/new-york-pipe-bursts.html

Are you looking to stay in WA?
Old 12-15-2008, 01:09 PM

jmarty9 is a glorious beacon of lightjmarty9 is a glorious beacon of lightjmarty9 is a glorious beacon of lightjmarty9 is a glorious beacon of lightjmarty9 is a glorious beacon of light
Take some time to look at the local office's web page. They typically have a lot of info/reports regarding the local markets. This info will be helpful if you are applying to be a runner/researcher/canvasser. If the job that your applying for requires you to reasearch and dig up info, it would be pretty smart to show that you have done some research on the co. But dont try to be a know it all (dont try to rattle off some market stats to impress them).

If you are applying for a sales/leasing position, there's a chance you'll be applying with a specific team within the company. If so, it shouldnt be too hard to find out what team it is that you are interviewing with. CBRE is good about maintaining team web pages. You can get info on the team members, current listings, and deals that they've done. You dont want to just throw out info unsolicited, but it would be helpful to know something about who you're interviewing with (what types of projects they're working on, college they went to, community groups they're involved with).

Where are you in the process? Do you have an interview scheduled yet?
Old 12-16-2008, 07:03 PM

Surfer is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by liquidassets View Post
I was offered an internship at CBRE before graduating college. At the same time I received an internship from RKF, and eventually after debating a long time I actually accepted the RKF offer over CBRE. CBRE offered something called the wheel program and whatnot and seemed cool, but I was promised that I'd be working hand-in-hand with RKF; which appealed more to me. Futterman is possibly the strongest name when it comes to commercial/retail space in New York.

I interned there and was offered a position there, which I didn't take.

My internship there sucked. I didn't learn too much, and was never really given the chance to. As an intern, they had me set up as a canvasser, which is the entry level position they offered at RKF.

Basically everyday they sent me around New York (Manhattan & Brooklyn only) to map the area, which was not fun at all. I had to wear a suit to work everyday, regardless of the fact that my job was basically to walk around the city all day in 90+ weather. I would say I easily walked over 10 miles a day, probably closer to 16-18 miles a day in a suit. My feet had terrible blisters. They'd give me a clip board with aerial views of all the buildings on certain avenues and blocks and I'd have to write down every retail store on a block. So imagine me squeezing in 50 retail shops per block, not fun. Also I'd have to take pictures of everything.

The worst was when I was getting back to the office one day I was walking when I felt the ground rumble and within seconds I was attacked with debris of concrete and smoke. An underground steampipe had burst and I had been covered with all the smoke/debris. I had to cover my mouse with my shirt and run full speed .
Then they said that there were probably hazardous chemicals involved with that explosion and they instructed everyone who was strucken by it, to dispose of there clothes. I had to throw away a perfectly nice (although sweaty) Hugo Boss suit.

http://www.break.com/index/new-york-pipe-bursts.html

Are you looking to stay in WA?
I've never understood the whole "suit" thing especially in instances like this. IMO it looks worse running around and going to meet a client all sweaty and smelly vs the company saying present an "image", especially for something like yours where your just mapping things. You will rarely catch me in a suit in South FL unless its a function where its required. I'll meet clients in jeans and nice shirt.
Old 12-22-2008, 12:52 PM

silk55 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to silk55
CBRE/LJ Melody is one of my clients. Not to burst your bubble but they have had huge lay off's lately.
Mercedes E350 4matic Modz
Nissan Xterra
Old 12-22-2008, 11:12 PM

^^^ I know, I was checking out their careers page on their site, and have seen more jobs on there than ever... makes me worried about applying... getting a job and then laid off immediately...
Old 01-30-2009, 08:07 PM

TurboLover has a spectacular aura aboutTurboLover has a spectacular aura aboutTurboLover has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by silk55 View Post
CBRE/LJ Melody is one of my clients. Not to burst your bubble but they have had huge lay off's lately.
I've heard the same thing.
Old 02-02-2009, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silk55 View Post
You got a PM sir
Old 02-02-2009, 08:53 PM
Banned

Ferrari2Lambo is on a distinguished road
The entire Commercial RE market is on a hiring freeze. I work for one of the big shops in NYC and we just laid off a third of our force. Its a tough time to be in the business. Try joining a smaller shop and work your way into CBRE when the market turns
Old 02-04-2009, 10:02 AM

^^ Thanks for the advice! Any recommendations?
Old 02-04-2009, 08:26 PM

Spencer
Quote:
Originally Posted by So_Fresh View Post
^^ Thanks for the advice! Any recommendations?
Anything to do with distressed CRE debt....
Old 02-05-2009, 03:38 PM

Stevenh is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Stevenh
I interned with CBRE/Melody about 6 years ago and it was a good experience. I wanted to get on the buy side of the market so I elected to go elsewhere after graduating.

My advice is to get yourself out there and make as many contacts as you can. Don't be afraid to call people up to express interest about job openings, set up informational interviews and lunches, attend local networking events, etc... If you don't land a job now it will certainly put you in a good spot for when the market comes back.
Old 02-24-2009, 03:42 PM

Gfolo19 is on a distinguished road
CBRE is about 2 Billion in debt right now and could be in serious trouble by the end of 09'.

I suggest you look else where.

I am in commercial real estate is slow right now. But I would suggest you go with a "Tenant Rep" firm. Not because I work at one, but because the tenants are becoming more educated looking to save money in this down economy. Therefore they recognize the dual agency as an problem when Real Estate brokerages try to represent both the Landlord and clients.

pm me for more info
Old 02-24-2009, 07:25 PM

bigman is on a distinguished road
Staubach?
Old 02-24-2009, 07:25 PM

Tags
2009, cbre, class, college, intern, internship, internships, join, layoff, melody, program, rkf, wheel, work, working