996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

Good price on an alternator

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-02-2007, 11:33 AM
996SC is on a distinguished road
Good price on an alternator

Hi all, looks like my alternator on my 996 C4 needs to be replace and I just check the price for a new one and its $1200 . Does anyone knows a place to get a good price new or rebuild one on the web/SF Bay Areas? Thanks in advance.

Old 06-02-2007, 11:39 AM
sebring911 is on a distinguished road
Autohouse has one listed for $277 bosh 120 amps

Old 06-02-2007, 11:52 AM
Thanks sebring911, but can you be more specific? I just googled autohouse and looked at couple of websites and didn't find it. Thanks again.

Old 06-02-2007, 12:19 PM
sebring911 is on a distinguished road
look up www.autohousaz.com they have great prices on everything fast shipping

Old 06-02-2007, 01:44 PM
PeterK will become famous soon enough
Old 06-02-2007, 01:45 PM
PeterK will become famous soon enough
Old 06-02-2007, 10:46 PM
I don't believe it but I just called Autozone an hour ago and they said they have it for $169 + $100 core charge and it has lifetime warranty! It's also remanufactured alternator rated at 120 amps didn't say what brand but must be Bosch-who else make them? Has anyone try this or install this? I think I might give it a try since it has lifetime warranty.

Old 06-03-2007, 01:51 AM
p0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond repute
wow- that's cheap!!!

Old 06-03-2007, 11:01 AM
dhrecon is on a distinguished road
$1200 for an alternator?????? It must have the flux capacitor option. Either that or Porsche really thinks we are suckas!!!

Old 06-03-2007, 04:00 PM
Tool Pants is on a distinguished road
It seems to be common that the regulator goes bad. http://www.renntech.org/forums/index...lternator&st=0

Like to see if the autozone deal turns out to be the real thing.

Old 06-03-2007, 04:42 PM
Angry

Okay so this is karma. After i wrote my pointless reply, i went for a drive in my 02 C4S and the battery warning light came on and the display showed "battery/charging system". So i started heading straight home and then the Brake system warning light came on, PASM system warning light came on, and lastly the Check engine light.

On my way home the computer system totally took over and everything from the radio to the windows were being managed. Even engine power felt like it was at 50%. Wow. I did notice the Voltage gage was maxed out at 16, almost as if the alternator regulator went to full scale.

When i got home i turned the engine off and waited an hour and started it up again. This tells me the battery is not drained. So it must be something to do with the alternator!!! Karma!! So i checked the engine and the belt was not broken, and alternator was spinning. Therefore the alternator is not frozen, but is still putting out juice since a battery can only produce around 12V but the gage showed 16V so it must be the regulator!!! So now my search for a regulator begins.

Do any of you guys know of a good Independant Porsche shop in Orange County? Thanks in advance!

Old 06-03-2007, 08:19 PM
Former Vendor
Wheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond repute
If it's not a Bosch let me know, I there is somewhere at less than 250 for Bosch.....

Hope AZ has it for you....

-Eli

Old 06-04-2007, 01:23 PM
Sorry to hear that DH. Didn't mean to be a jinx...I'll keep you guys posted on what brand it is but it might be different from locations to locations. if I am going to take out the alternator then I might as well replace the whole thing instead of just the regulator since I don't want to do it again for a long time and it's lifetime warranty. I might just keep the core though if it is just the regulator is out so I change keep it as a spare just in case so I don't have to wait for a week to order one.

Old 06-05-2007, 11:01 AM
Former Vendor
Wheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond repute
Just figured out that Tip is more than Manual..... Humm...

-Eli

Old 06-06-2007, 08:11 PM
Unhappy

Hey guys, anybody thinking of replacing the alternator with any of the aftermarket types should reconsider. I was going to replace the factory alternator with a cheapo but was easily convinced by my mechanic not to.

When we compared the "cheapo" alternator with the Bosch it was a no brainer. I took it right in the jaw and went with the Bosch. Plus Bosch has a 2 year warranty that pays for towing, parts and labor if the alternator ever fails. I ended up paying $890 for the Bosch alternator (list $1200) plus labor. Thats still $890 more than i wanted to pay.

Hmm...oil change, tires, alterantor....im hitting the $2.5K mark on up keep for this year. This is getting more expensive than my girlfriends.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Good price on an alternator