996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

Subaru WRX VS. 996

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-28-2004, 10:56 AM
jasonc32amg is on a distinguished road
Cool

Some of these posts are a trip, I've never bought a car for image or for what a valet a chick would think about it. That said the P is a unique auto with a special heritage...but that doesn't negate the diminishing value they sometimes present compared to recent offerings. I ran into a c4s the other day on 95 and pulled him in several roll ons with my Evo. At no point did I look over and wish I had his car, or I'd go buy one...the driver of the P did look over though and seem quite frustrated

Old 02-28-2004, 07:30 PM
karlooz is on a distinguished road
sounds like someone has inferiority complex

ya, the evo may have a little more performance than a 996 but take that away and it is still butt UGLY. it aint no joke! there's more to it than performance and there's more to it than just looks. the 996 has BOTH.

Last edited by karlooz; 02-28-2004 at 07:43 PM.
Old 02-28-2004, 07:56 PM
Banned by Moderators
SANDOVAL has a spectacular aura aboutSANDOVAL has a spectacular aura aboutSANDOVAL has a spectacular aura about
You took the words out of my mouth... The Evo has to be one of the top 10 ugliest compact cars ever made... I have seen guys drop big dough into their project Pintos to run on the strip but their still FUGLY! Evo falls in that souped up Pinto catagory! Porsche's is a true work of art in many different forms!

Old 02-28-2004, 08:31 PM
bayarea jimmy is on a distinguished road
Been there & done that. Now I am driving a P-car & there's no turning back.

Old 02-28-2004, 09:26 PM
firewired is on a distinguished road
Talk about an inferiority complex. We are not the ones reading / posting on the evo forums.

Old 02-28-2004, 09:35 PM
joecmess is an unknown quantity at this point
give me a break

First of all, no evo is going to pull on a 911 after 60 or 70 mph. It's a 4 cylinder. Yeah big deal, mod it out, and it will a faster 1/4 mile. I saw a Plymouth Sundance run low 10's. Now, should we be pissed that there is a Plymouth Sundance from 1990 something that could beat a 911 Turbo? I think not.

Old 02-29-2004, 07:30 AM
Originally posted by bayarea jimmy
Been there & done that. Now I am driving a P-car & there's no turning back.
wow, I think you're the one with the issues....

Old 02-29-2004, 07:36 AM
Re: give me a break

Originally posted by joecmess
First of all, no evo is going to pull on a 911 after 60 or 70 mph. It's a 4 cylinder. Yeah big deal, mod it out, and it will a faster 1/4 mile. I saw a Plymouth Sundance run low 10's. Now, should we be pissed that there is a Plymouth Sundance from 1990 something that could beat a 911 Turbo? I think not.
you're living in a dream world...

and no, you should not be pissed about the plymouth, just enjoy your provincial narrow-minded little worldview...

Old 02-29-2004, 08:37 AM
Alan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond repute
C'mon the Sti and EVO VIII are great cars...

for their price. But, fundamentally they are harsh, tin cans that have peaky engines. Yes, they accelerate and handle, but at what price. They are noisy, unrefined, harsh riding, and cheap.
They are characiture cars - when I see them I expect to see clowns jumping out of them.

They are cars that are not fit for anyone over the age of 20, and tell me, is there a secret club membership that dictates that all drivers must wear their baseball caps backwards.

Kiddy cars for the kiddies.

Sorry, I don't believe Your C4S story - what C4S driver would waste their time or risk their license.

Old 02-29-2004, 09:40 AM
Prosailortim is on a distinguished road
These are far from Kiddy cars Alan. I'm a 44 year old professional and I've owned many performance cars in my life including Porsche.

How often do you guys take your cars to the track? I bet not many. Alan FYI, I've raced many C4's at the track, and all of them have had a good view of the Evo's *** end.

My car is far from stock and is not my daily driver, it's at XS-Engineering in Huntington Beach getting some additional engine work. My little "Clown Car" will have over 420 WHP, not bad for a four door car, with a trunk, ready for the track.

For you So. Calif. Porsche owners, if you would like to see some compition between Evo's & Porsche's invite us to one of your track events. Send an invatation to the So Cal Evo forum: www.socalevo.net Let's have a track day at the "Streets of Willow", it would be fun.

I'm a car enthusiast and I love Porsche's, to be narrow mined and say the Evo is not fit for anyone over the age of 20 is a lame statement.

SANDOVAL, you're in my neck of the woods, I'm only a few miles inland from you. I'd like to see what your C2 can do against my "Pinto"/"Evo" (ugliest compact car).

Old 02-29-2004, 10:22 AM
Location: West Texas, where the roads are straight and long, and the law is few and far between.
colateralgees is on a distinguished road
Came over here from a link at an Evo site.

I currently own an Evo VIII, a 928 S4 and an SHO. I've owned or ridden lots of street bikes. I've driven quite a few enthusiast's cars over the years, everything from American muscle in my high school days ('69 - '71...the heyday of muscle) to various performance cars including M3's, M5's, a couple 911's, big Mercs, Corvettes, etc etc. Let me say that I have the very highest regard for Porsche automobiles. I love exploring my black S4 and marvel at the quality. It's an amazingly well-built car in so many ways, and yes, it is beautiful to look at, in my opinion at least.

To me, it is now all about the "fun factor." Image, in any form, just doesn't provide any grin any more. It's the seat-of-the-pants results that matter most to me now. And the hands-down winner thus far in my life is the Evo VIII. For me, now, it is the top of the heap. I've recorded 1.03g lateral acceleration in the thing, on the road, and it's basically stock. My wife and I drove it up and back to Indy last September for the USGP, and we took 2-lane roads almost exclusively. Over 3,300 miles in 5 days. It was glorious.

Can it pull a 996? I really don't care....I'm having too much fun regardless.

We all just need to understand the common bonds that bring us to places like this in the first place. Life is too short to give yourself heartburn over someone else's perceptions.

Cheers!...and keep 'em between the ditches...

Old 02-29-2004, 10:48 AM
joecmess is an unknown quantity at this point
Whose Evo can hit 180?

Not that I've done it, of course. Anyway, I decided to trade in my 911 for 2 evos and a used Wrx. Then with the left over cash, I am going to put a cold air intake and and 15 inch woofer in the trunk and a neon kit. Oh and some stickers that are in Japanese that I have no idea what they say but who cares.

Old 02-29-2004, 10:51 AM
Location: West Texas, where the roads are straight and long, and the law is few and far between.
colateralgees is on a distinguished road
Re: Whose Evo can hit 180?

Originally posted by joecmess
Not that I've done it, of course. Anyway, I decided to trade in my 911 for 2 evos and a used Wrx. Then with the left over cash, I am going to put a cold air intake and and 15 inch woofer in the trunk and a neon kit. Oh and some stickers that are in Japanese that I have no idea what they say but who cares.
congratulations....you've just enlightened the world with another meaningless and ignorant stereotypical statement...

I could do the same, but I choose to let it go.

Old 02-29-2004, 10:55 AM
Banned by Moderators
SANDOVAL has a spectacular aura aboutSANDOVAL has a spectacular aura aboutSANDOVAL has a spectacular aura about
You guys missed the point. Of this entire thread... Your cars do look like cartoon clown cars. I would never trade my car in for two and half of yours. Your cars may be able back flips with mods but in the end they still look like cars developed by a cartoonist. Where as Porsche has a feeling of pride that goes along with it. Not to be to superficial but when you actually own one it is a feeling of accomplishment. You worked hard all your life and you have made it. You are driving your childhood dream. Your cars are fun their is no doubt about that. But you can't compare the two they are two different types of cars.

You are mistaken to think the majority of the guys on this board don't track their cars... It's actually a minority most of do track our cars. We are not proponents of street racing or acting like Jackasses on the street. Every EVO or WRX I have ever seen has a zit faced teen-20 something with a hat on backwards. I don't get the big exhausts that look like coffee cans. I don't get the desire that these cars draw. But this is a free country. To each is his own. Back to the beginning of this post why should you pay double for a 996 over a WRX because these cars have heritage not a marketing gimmick to suck the kids in to build these cars like the video games do. Again back to my point growing up I never had dreams of one day owning a SUBARU... There is more to having the MOST HP or the MOST TQ.... Your Evo is the supped up pinto of 2004.

I have friends with Skylines, EVO's, WRX's Supra's etc. I have driven these cars they are fun to drive. YES

Would I trade my 911 for one? NO

Do we all love cars? YES

Their is this kid working at the Starbucks I go to in the mornings he has a WRX he is a CAR enthusiest he loves his toy. However he dreams of one day owning a Porsche he asks about my car all the time. We talk shop every once in a while. We both like cars we have that in common. I don't know what else to say they are just two different types of cars with two different types of pride of ownership.

Last edited by SANDOVAL; 02-29-2004 at 11:11 AM.
Old 02-29-2004, 10:57 AM
Prosailortim is on a distinguished road
I have to agree with colateralgees, it's all about the fun factor. Porsche's are beautiful in every aspect.... and I miss my 930 (except for the maintaince). The Evo has alittle history behind it as well, hence is why I purchased one. Porsche's are a dime a dozen where I live, while Evo's are not.

I will have $42,000 dollars into my Evo including purchase price, engine mods (400+ WHP), stereo, clear bra, and alarm system. I can tell you one thing, it feels just as good as a Porsche does at 160 MPH, very soild.

So for those of you who might want a second car that can carry 4 adults and more than an overnight bag in the trunk, checkout the Evo or the STI.... you might be surprised.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Subaru WRX VS. 996