996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Driving light upgrade do I use same bulbs as fogs

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-24-2003, 10:29 AM
LSM
LSM is a glorious beacon of lightLSM is a glorious beacon of lightLSM is a glorious beacon of lightLSM is a glorious beacon of lightLSM is a glorious beacon of lightLSM is a glorious beacon of light
Driving light upgrade do I use same bulbs as fogs

I recently installed the PIAA H3 55w-110w 4150K bulbs in my fogs. Can I use the same bulbs for the driving lights?

Old 11-24-2003, 10:37 AM
I soon will be a supporting member
dbelleperc is on a distinguished road
What driving lights are you talking about? You have a turbo so it comes standard with Xenon's.

Old 11-24-2003, 11:28 AM
Chris Y. is on a distinguished road
Are you talking about the small "city" lights near the turn signal bulbs??? Those are a smaller size...not sure, but the last time I check PIAA doesn't make it. Only some generic brands...

Old 11-24-2003, 11:32 AM
msindi is on a distinguished road
I concur with Chris...I upgraded every bulb except revers lights and xenons (the higher temp blue ones scream RICE to me)
Check my sig....

Old 11-24-2003, 06:41 PM
The front city light is BAX 9S socket and a H 6 Watt bulb. Hope that helps.

Edit: the bulb's is a H6W, check out Philips they have them in a blueish color.

Last edited by dbelleperc; 11-25-2003 at 03:13 AM.
Old 11-25-2003, 03:15 AM
Here is the link to Philips'.

Old 11-25-2003, 10:40 AM
LSM
LSM is a glorious beacon of lightLSM is a glorious beacon of lightLSM is a glorious beacon of lightLSM is a glorious beacon of lightLSM is a glorious beacon of lightLSM is a glorious beacon of light
Thank for the help guys. What I am trying to achieve, is that often, I simply drive with my fogs on. When I simply turn on the fogs, these other "driving lights" come on that are non-xenon and makes the lights look bad. I want to drive with just the fogs on, but, if I cannot do this, I would like to find a way to make the other lights that come on, match my upgraded fogs.

-lou

Old 11-26-2003, 05:12 AM
If you do try and bulbs let me know and post pics....TIA

Old 11-26-2003, 08:49 AM
LSM
Originally posted by msindi
If you do try and bulbs let me know and post pics....TIA
I want to try the bulbs, just do not know where to get them and if they will even match. I saw that phillips link, but, there is no way those will match!!

BTW, just to pass along some info, the fogs I got do not at all match my xenons as many said they would. Maybe I am so **** that I just like everything perfect, but, I can't see how anyone could say they match becuase they look much different to me. Not to say they look bad, just different. I wish they would have matched up better.

-Lou

Old 11-26-2003, 11:00 AM
Lou - did you get the 55=85 or 55=110??
I have the 85s and they do match (note that they need a few minutes to warm up and get to operating temp. and hence match - takes a lot longer than the xenons!!)

Old 11-26-2003, 06:59 PM
Powerbulbs online said that the Philips blue vision is the closest to a Xenon/H.I.D. color you can get. Check out there web site, www.powerbulbs.com

Last edited by dbelleperc; 11-26-2003 at 07:04 PM.
Old 11-26-2003, 07:03 PM
LSM
Originally posted by msindi
Lou - did you get the 55=85 or 55=110??
I have the 85s and they do match (note that they need a few minutes to warm up and get to operating temp. and hence match - takes a lot longer than the xenons!!)
I got the 55=110. Everybody said they matched better, and on some turbos maybe they do? On my car, they do not match at all. Way different colors between the xenons and fogs. The fogs almost look more blue than the xenons somehow! I'll try letting them warm up a little more, but, I think I have left them on for like 30 minutes and no real change. I may try the ones you have and see what happens.

Lou

Old 11-26-2003, 07:06 PM
How much hours have the Xenon's been on? Because after about 100 hours they start to color shift and they turn a bluer color.

Old 11-26-2003, 07:07 PM
LSM
Originally posted by dbelleperc
Powerbulbs online said that the Philips blue vision is the closed to a Xenon/H.I.D. color you can get. Check out there web site, www.powerbulbs.com
debelleperc,

I am sure that they look great. The problem and concern I have is that it will match my fogs, not that they look xenon. If they do not match my fogs and are not quite as bright or brighter than my xenons, that will suck. I am looking for the same color from all three light sources. I mean one bulb cannot possibley match for every applcation. I am sure you have seen differnt manufacturers that have bluer or brighter or whatever xenons. Different cars with different/warmer/wattage etc look different. If you have tried them and they match the Porsche xenons, I will definately buy them.

Lou

Old 11-26-2003, 07:07 PM
LSM
Originally posted by dbelleperc
How much hours have the Xenon's been on? Because after about 100 hours they start to color shift and they turn a bluer color.
I have 5000 miles and actually, my fogs are bluer than my xenons.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Driving light upgrade do I use same bulbs as fogs