996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

I’ve been banned from Silver Star service!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-23-2004, 08:37 AM
Happy Now?
Rave TT is a jewel in the roughRave TT is a jewel in the roughRave TT is a jewel in the rough
I’ve been banned from Silver Star service!

I would like you guys to read my situation and please feel free to comment honestly and bluntly, I want to know is it me or is Silver Star out of line.
As most of you know, I purchased drbills beautiful 01 turbo, he had an existing problem with his dash, it needed to be replaced and the part was on order with SS, while I was waiting for the part to come in, I ordered some carbon fiber pieces for the interior, I decided to let SS install it when they do the dash replacement (kill two birds with one stone), my car also has a temperamental gas gauge.
I get the call the dash is in please bring your car in Tuesday morning, great!
I arrive at 8:30am and am greeted very politely by Lana (service rep), I show her the CF pieces and ask her to install them, instead of putting back the original plastic pieces when they reinstall the dash, I explain to her, that I feel this should be done free of charge since they have to take the dash apart anyway for the warranty issue, she says “it doesn’t work like that” after a little back and forth she agrees, then we talk about the center consol and handbrake CF install, she punches some keys in her computer and tells me it will be $300 to install, WOW!! I know for a fact this is a one hour top install, I say nothing, figuring it’s Porsche and what the heck, lets just get it done and not cause stress, we now start discussing rearranging the heater control, moving it where the cup holder is and putting an open space where the heater/ac control was, she says they will get back to me on that, I also mention the gas gauge and noisy driver side door, I leave the car.
The next day I get a call one of my CF pieces has a small scratch, I examined each piece and saw no scratch, now it’s my word against the techs, I drop the issue and move on, she now tells me in order to relocate the heater/ac unit requires a few parts and some relocation of wires and the parts were only like $50 and $200 for labor!! $200 just to move a few wires!! Again, I say nothing, I just want the car done, the next day I get another phone call, they are charging me an hours extra labor for having to move the light switch from the old vent to the carbon fiber vent and move the sensor on the passenger side vent from the original piece to the carbon fiber piece, a $100!!! Wow that seems like allot, again I say nothing, I’m like fine, I feel like I am being overcharged but whatever, let me just get my new car and enjoy it, plus I wanted to have a friendly relationship with the service department for when I have a serious problem. Friday afternoon comes around, I go to pick up my car with my son, I was having a great day and couldn’t wait to pick up the car, I pay the bill, over $900!!!! I feel it is very expensive but my car is done and I don’t care, I drive away notice my gauge at zero, buy gas about fifteen minutes later, guess what? I can only get 8 gallons in, gas gauge still not fixed, not only that my handbrake was not adjusted properly, you have to pull it all the way up and it barely grabs, now I am angry, not only was I overcharged, one of my CF pieces has a scratch, my gas gauge was not fixed and my hand brake is not working properly, not going to let it ruin my weekend, had a fun diner with my son and figure I’ll deal with the problems on Monday, I started a thread over the weekend asking about the gas gauge problem, DrJim as usual had a funny comment to make about bill, I write something like“It is not drbills fault Silver Star service didn't fix it/my experience sucked ” I admit, I was a little pissed about being over charged and still having problems, I get a call from Lana early Monday morning to please come pick up my parts and find a new place to service my car, she proceeds to reads my post word for word, you guy’s tell me, am I the bad guy here? Or is Silver Star out of line.
Maybe my avatar offended them?

P.S. I find it interesting that a Porsche service department would monitor a message board and instead of addressing my concerns, they decide to tell me to never come back and find another place to service my car.

Since the Porsche bug has bitten me, I'm sure I will buy a new one, it sure won't be from Silver Star, I am stunned at their arrogance and better than thou attitude.

Last edited by Rave TT; 02-23-2004 at 01:02 PM.
Old 02-23-2004, 08:41 AM
Happy Now?
Rave TT is a jewel in the roughRave TT is a jewel in the roughRave TT is a jewel in the rough
Here is a picture of the rearranged controls, the heater/ac unit use to be on the bottom, where the empty storage compartment is now.

Old 02-23-2004, 08:47 AM
ColorChange is on a distinguished road
Rave, I don't think you are out of line but if you wanted a good relationship with them (I wonder why you would as they do sound incompetant), I would have kept the discussion off line until the issue was resolved.

I don't believe they can "ban" you. Go to PCNA and they may be able to help.

Old 02-23-2004, 08:53 AM
Happy Now?
Originally posted by ColorChange
Rave, I don't think you are out of line but if you wanted a good relationship with them (I wonder why you would as they do sound incompetant), I would have kept the discussion off line until the issue was resolved.

I don't believe they can "ban" you. Go to PCNA and they may be able to help.
I never realized they monitor message boards so closely and my remark was made as a joke to DrJim, yes I was pissed, but I didn't start a thread or rant about them.
Speaking of contacting PCNA, does anyone have a name and number of someone I can talk to, Thanks.

Last edited by Rave TT; 02-23-2004 at 09:04 AM.
Old 02-23-2004, 09:11 AM
drbill will become famous soon enough
as i told Ron after he told me this story on Sat.- i know everyone over at SS for many yearsand have been patients of mine as well.it was quite surprising to me to hear this happened this morning. in all the years i've been dealing with them i only had one minor scuff with the present gen. mgr which was resolved as i was in speaking to him a few weeks ago.
however, i think this issue should be made aware to PCNA and be addressed immediately. I believe they should have tried to resolve this issue diplomatically before a "ban" was issued. anonymously call siverstar and ask them for PCNA contact information.

Old 02-23-2004, 09:21 AM
Periokid has much to be proud ofPeriokid has much to be proud ofPeriokid has much to be proud ofPeriokid has much to be proud ofPeriokid has much to be proud ofPeriokid has much to be proud ofPeriokid has much to be proud ofPeriokid has much to be proud ofPeriokid has much to be proud ofPeriokid has much to be proud of
How did you pay for the service?

If CC, consider telling the CC company to hold payment until the issues are resolved.

Old 02-23-2004, 09:21 AM
Happy Now?
I wonder if the General manager of the dealership is aware of this, does a service rep have the authority to ban a customer? Business must be great if they can throw away a customer.
A bizarre situation if you ask me.

Old 02-23-2004, 09:22 AM
dpblessing is on a distinguished road
First, they do not have to do work for you, and you do not have to take your car there. So, why can't they "ban" you?

Re: prices. Most outfits that repair / work on cars charge "book" labor units x $ hourly rate. So it does not matter that something really takes 30 minutes, if the "book" says 2.25 hours... that is what they charge. In this regard I think it is inappropriate for you to ***** about the prices you approved before they did the work.

However... If they agreed to fix various items and charged you for that work, but did not actually perform the work they are in the wrong and I would (1) demand a full refund for work not performed, and (2) file a complaint with whatever State agency covers that sort of thing.

Re: surprise over the bill. I don't know about New York, but in CA those working on cars are required to give you a written estimate before doing the work, and with few exceptions, they are required to obtain your written authorization. Know your laws and if needed explain them to the dealer.

Old 02-23-2004, 09:25 AM
Happy Now?
Originally posted by dpblessing
First, they do not have to do work for you, and you do not have to take your car there. So, why can't they "ban" you?
I never said they can't ban me, I just found it strange.

Old 02-23-2004, 09:33 AM
SHANKENFELTER has much to be proud ofSHANKENFELTER has much to be proud ofSHANKENFELTER has much to be proud ofSHANKENFELTER has much to be proud ofSHANKENFELTER has much to be proud ofSHANKENFELTER has much to be proud ofSHANKENFELTER has much to be proud ofSHANKENFELTER has much to be proud ofSHANKENFELTER has much to be proud ofSHANKENFELTER has much to be proud of
Gee, according to Business 101, they should have went out of their way to accomodate a new customer. Whether right or wrong, they should have bent over backwards, and addressed all the issues 100%. End of story!

Write to JD Power. Believe me, that will have effect.

Shank

courtesy of webster:
Service: 2 a : the work performed by one that serves <good service>

Old 02-23-2004, 09:37 AM
Happy Now?
Originally posted by ShankGT2
Gee, according to Business 101, they should have went out of their way to accomodate a new customer. Whether right or wrong, they should have bent over backwards, and addressed all the issues 100%. End of story!

Write to JD Power. Believe me, that will have effect.

Shank
I'll write anyone who will listen, the more I think about this situation the more it baffles me, they charge a high amount of money for the work done and they are upset at me? For voicing my disappointment that the work was not done properly, crazy!
I’m sure someone at Silver star is reading all this, I welcome them to post their side, I would love to hear it.
I wonder if they are pissed that I bought my CF pieces from someone else? Could they be this petty?

Last edited by Rave TT; 02-23-2004 at 09:46 AM.
Old 02-23-2004, 09:47 AM
Z0RR0 has a brilliant futureZ0RR0 has a brilliant futureZ0RR0 has a brilliant futureZ0RR0 has a brilliant futureZ0RR0 has a brilliant futureZ0RR0 has a brilliant futureZ0RR0 has a brilliant futureZ0RR0 has a brilliant futureZ0RR0 has a brilliant futureZ0RR0 has a brilliant futureZ0RR0 has a brilliant future
You are completely out of line. Seriously. Why in the heck do you still try to do business with such goons?
This is unbelievable. Extra charges (I can buy the relocating charges though ... it can a pain in the butt), but not solving the problem, damaging parts you brought in, and have nothing better to do than checking message boards and not even learning about it! She could've said "oh, didn't realize you felt we treated you that way, please adress it directly to us next time" ...which btw you could have done.
A business that bans customers (no matter who's fault it is) doesn't deserve to be in business. I suggest you see the person above and tell them. This is not serious. Call Porsche NA, the Silver Star manager, whoever you can ... this should never happen.
PS ... I must say I have not read your weekend post yet ... but when she banned you, you should have said "did you really think I was going to come back?" LMAO!

Old 02-23-2004, 09:51 AM
Happy Now?
Originally posted by Z0RR0
You are completely out of line. Seriously. Why in the heck do you still try to do business with such goons?
This is unbelievable. Extra charges (I can buy the relocating charges though ... it can a pain in the butt), but not solving the problem, damaging parts you brought in, and have nothing better to do than checking message boards and not even learning about it! She could've said "oh, didn't realize you felt we treated you that way, please adress it directly to us next time" ...which btw you could have done.
A business that bans customers (no matter who's fault it is) doesn't deserve to be in business. I suggest you see the person above and tell them. This is not serious. Call Porsche NA, the Silver Star manager, whoever you can ... this should never happen.
PS ... I must say I have not read your weekend post yet ... but when she banned you, you should have said "did you really think I was going to come back?" LMAO!
I don't want to do business with them after this, I was just stunned with their attitude, I want my money back and a letter of apology.

Old 02-23-2004, 10:01 AM
KPV
KPV is just really niceKPV is just really niceKPV is just really niceKPV is just really nice
Rave,
If you are a member of PCA (which you should be if you are not!) they have dealer liason programs in place to resolve issues such as this. I know the Northern NJ Region (NNJR) of PCA does. I would recommend that first and PCNA second.
KPV

Old 02-23-2004, 10:03 AM
Happy Now?
Originally posted by KPV
Rave,
If you are a member of PCA (which you should be if you are not!) they have dealer liason programs in place to resolve issues such as this. I know the Northern NJ Region (NNJR) of PCA does. I would recommend that first and PCNA second.
KPV
I just joined PCA, I'll look into that thanks.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: I’ve been banned from Silver Star service!