GT3/GT2 Performance and Track Discussion on the Porsche GT3 and GT2

Does the GT3 or RS generate downforce?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-07-2008, 01:02 PM
bavariamotorist is on a distinguished road
Does the GT3 or RS generate downforce?

Anyone know if the GT3, RS, or any production Porsche actually generates downforce, or just reduces lift?

Thanks...

Old 04-07-2008, 01:17 PM
LERA GT2 is on a distinguished road
I have only seen figures from 996, including carrera, gt3, gt2 (no GT3 RS) on paul frere 911 story - they only speak of negative lift, no down force!

Old 04-07-2008, 01:48 PM
Thanks. That probably answers the question for the 997 series as well.

Anyone know about the CGT?

Old 04-07-2008, 03:09 PM
Kaizu has much to be proud ofKaizu has much to be proud ofKaizu has much to be proud ofKaizu has much to be proud ofKaizu has much to be proud ofKaizu has much to be proud ofKaizu has much to be proud ofKaizu has much to be proud ofKaizu has much to be proud ofKaizu has much to be proud of
I beg to differ,

I know about 996's that all the models with wing (GT3, GT3 RS, GT3 Cup, Turbo, GT2, Techart GTStreet etc) generate downforce (or just zero lift) at the speed of 200 km/h measured on the rear axle.

And the 997's have a bit more downforce than 996 models.

This is my data from individual wind tunnel tests performed in Germany

And yeah, CGT has a tremendous amount of downforce at those speeds!

ps. Don't 100% believe the marketing material about downforces. However, 911's with wing have downforce while some sports cars have lift at the same speeds...

Old 04-07-2008, 03:47 PM
Terminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant future
We talked about this on the 996TT forum. Between 6 - 12kg with different spoilers that's all. My perception is that our cars have zero lift as they feel the same at all speeds. My 944TS however definitely had down force as it felt more planted at high speeds. Ferraris claim 120+kg down force on their cars. I believe the real down force is actually obtained by rear under tray diffusers... and 911's are short of those. :-(.

Last edited by Terminator; 04-07-2008 at 03:55 PM.
Old 04-08-2008, 01:16 AM
Any downforce at all is pretty good even if just a few kgs. Lift sucks

Thanks guys.

Old 04-08-2008, 02:35 PM
Paris_CarreraS is a jewel in the roughParis_CarreraS is a jewel in the roughParis_CarreraS is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by Terminator
We talked about this on the 996TT forum. Between 6 - 12kg with different spoilers that's all. My perception is that our cars have zero lift as they feel the same at all speeds. My 944TS however definitely had down force as it felt more planted at high speeds. Ferraris claim 120+kg down force on their cars. I believe the real down force is actually obtained by rear under tray diffusers... and 911's are short of those. :-(.

thats all? between 6 and 12 kg?
I have the Aerokit on my 997s and I feel the diference at high speeds!

Old 04-09-2008, 12:49 AM
Terminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by Paris_CarreraS
thats all? between 6 and 12 kg?
I have the Aerokit on my 997s and I feel the diference at high speeds!
Yes, you are the lucky one with 12kg. .

Ps. Have you actually done the swap from stock? Have you noticed a notable difference before and after, would like to know this as it appears everyone bought their cars with a kit already on it and are unable to answer before and aft question...

Last edited by Terminator; 04-09-2008 at 12:53 AM.
Old 04-09-2008, 10:10 AM
Paris_CarreraS is a jewel in the roughParis_CarreraS is a jewel in the roughParis_CarreraS is a jewel in the rough
I really feel the diference in the back of the car! not really in the front....
I`m not a professional driver....but thats what I feel.......

Old 04-10-2008, 02:44 AM
Originally Posted by Paris_CarreraS
I really feel the diference in the back of the car! not really in the front....
I`m not a professional driver....but thats what I feel.......
So you went from stock to aero?

Also, is it now slower getting to top speed?

Old 04-10-2008, 07:21 AM
Kaizu has much to be proud ofKaizu has much to be proud ofKaizu has much to be proud ofKaizu has much to be proud ofKaizu has much to be proud ofKaizu has much to be proud ofKaizu has much to be proud ofKaizu has much to be proud ofKaizu has much to be proud ofKaizu has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Terminator
Ferraris claim 120+kg down force on their cars. I believe the real down force is actually obtained by rear under tray diffusers... and 911's are short of those. :-(.
A similar test to 360CS shows 21kg lift and for Modena 24kg lift compared to these small down force numbers achieved by 911's with wings...
How are the Ferrari Challenge race cars? With or without an additional rear wing?

Especially the 550/575 Maranellos are infamous at 300km/h due to a lot of lift in the front. It has something like 40kg lift at rear, I do not have the front number)...Other thing is of course how often you drive at those speeds, it depends

(These tests are done by the Germans in "Sport Auto")

Old 04-10-2008, 10:51 AM
Originally Posted by Kaizu
A similar test to 360CS shows 21kg lift and for Modena 24kg lift compared to these small down force numbers achieved by 911's with wings...
How are the Ferrari Challenge race cars? With or without an additional rear wing?

Especially the 550/575 Maranellos are infamous at 300km/h due to a lot of lift in the front. It has something like 40kg lift at rear, I do not have the front number)...Other thing is of course how often you drive at those speeds, it depends

(These tests are done by the Germans in "Sport Auto")
I have no idea where you got those lift figures from?

This is the info I have from a Ferrari mag;

The tail of F430 incorporates a larger diffuser. Together with other underbody aerodynamic tweaks, it produces a lot more downforce than the already outstanding 360. For example, at 300km/h (186mph), it generates 280kg of downforce (130kg front, 150kg rear), compare to the Modena's 195kg. Remember, this is achieved without seeking help from any external spoilers. At the same time, drag coefficient remains unchanged at 0.33.

Old 04-10-2008, 11:38 AM
Z06
Z06 is on a distinguished road
The under car aero on the Ferrari has many times the downforce with less resistance than a rear wing method used on a Porsche.

Old 04-10-2008, 12:21 PM
surfingbuddhist has a spectacular aura aboutsurfingbuddhist has a spectacular aura about
I've ran my car at CalSpeedway Roval (high speed oval with infield course) with and with out my aero kit. On the banking at speeds near 160mph there is a sig. noticeable difference in how firmly the car is planted. Although there was one negative effect - I was achieving higher front straightaway speeds with just the stock setup (small factory adjustable spoiler).

Old 04-10-2008, 12:54 PM
Bill S has a spectacular aura aboutBill S has a spectacular aura about
Check the GT3 brochure...

"The combined effect of all these aerodynamic refinements is another remarkable achievement; rather than merely limiting aerodynamic lift, they generate positive downforce on the front and rear axles."

And, for the GT3 RS:

"A modified lip spoiler at the front of the car creates a higher level of downforce compared with the 911 GT3... The rear wing...has a larger surface area producing additional downforce. The wing is adjustable on both models and provides greater stability at high speed...The combined result of these aerodynamic refinements is a drag coefficient of just 0.30. In addition, the car generates positive downforce, front and rear, in perfect aerodynamic balance."

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Does the GT3 or RS generate downforce?