Cayenne 958 Porsche's 958 SUV. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

2011 Cayenne Transfer case replaced

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-29-2012, 05:54 PM
Magnetic K will become famous soon enough
2011 Cayenne Transfer case replaced

My 2011 Cayenne V6 has been having jerking or hesitation upon moderate to hard acceleration. It was quite subtle when the car was new, but is now more noticeable with age at 20k miles. The Cayenne felt like it was slipping gears on climbing up hills. The dealer indicated that it was a "transfer case" issue, and that it was not uncommon in the type 958 Cayenne. So, this was replaced under warranty. Problem solved! My dealership has replaced several transfer cases for the type 958 Cayenne.

I was not able to find much on the web or other forum sites on the new Cayenne model, though there are references to this issue on older models. Has anyone else experienced this problem?

Despite this, the Porsche Cayenne is an awesome handling SUV, that instills great confidence on the road.

Last edited by GT3 Chuck; 02-24-2017 at 11:52 AM.
Old 09-30-2012, 07:59 AM
tex94 is on a distinguished road
Haven't noticed this yet on my V6 but am just at 9k miles. Hopefully it won't happen but nice to know it is covered by warranty

Old 09-30-2012, 08:23 AM
greg_g is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Magnetic K
The dealer indicated that it was a "transfer case" issue, and that it was not uncommon in the type 958 Cayenne.
Manual tranny, or Tiptronic?

//greg//

Old 09-30-2012, 11:56 AM
Originally Posted by greg_g
Manual tranny, or Tiptronic?

//greg//

Tiptronic.

After the transfer case replacement, no problems with the sensation of gears slipping. The Cayenne now accelerates smoothly. Seems like a not uncommon problem with SUVs. My old Jeep also needed a replacement of the transfer gearbox.

Thank goodness for the Porsche warranty.

Old 10-01-2012, 12:17 AM
galion has much to be proud ofgalion has much to be proud ofgalion has much to be proud ofgalion has much to be proud ofgalion has much to be proud ofgalion has much to be proud ofgalion has much to be proud ofgalion has much to be proud ofgalion has much to be proud ofgalion has much to be proud of
I had the same problem with my 11' S, it felt like some engine missfiring issue but turned out to be the transfer case, had it replaced under warranty at only 4000km (2500 miles).
I loved it to death but also gave me a lot of problems. I got rid of it as soon as the warranty expired.

Last edited by galion; 10-01-2012 at 12:23 AM.
Old 10-01-2012, 06:33 AM
pepper09tt is a splendid one to beholdpepper09tt is a splendid one to beholdpepper09tt is a splendid one to beholdpepper09tt is a splendid one to beholdpepper09tt is a splendid one to beholdpepper09tt is a splendid one to beholdpepper09tt is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by galion
I had the same problem with my 11' S, it felt like some engine missfiring issue but turned out to be the transfer case, had it replaced under warranty at only 4000km (2500 miles).
I loved it to death but also gave me a lot of problems. I got rid of it as soon as the warranty expired.
Hi Galion,sorry you had these problems
Makes me feel even luckier to have one of the flawless ones
What do you mean by"warranty expired" on your '11 S???
Isn't it valid for 5yrs/50K miles?

Old 10-01-2012, 10:25 AM
galion has much to be proud ofgalion has much to be proud ofgalion has much to be proud ofgalion has much to be proud ofgalion has much to be proud ofgalion has much to be proud ofgalion has much to be proud ofgalion has much to be proud ofgalion has much to be proud ofgalion has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by pepper09tt
Hi Galion,sorry you had these problems
Makes me feel even luckier to have one of the flawless ones
What do you mean by"warranty expired" on your '11 S???
Isn't it valid for 5yrs/50K miles?
Hey Peppper, we only get 2 years / unlimited miles in this part of the world.

Old 10-01-2012, 10:59 AM
pepper09tt is a splendid one to beholdpepper09tt is a splendid one to beholdpepper09tt is a splendid one to beholdpepper09tt is a splendid one to beholdpepper09tt is a splendid one to beholdpepper09tt is a splendid one to beholdpepper09tt is a splendid one to behold
Hey Peppper, we only get 2 years / unlimited miles in this part of the world.
Oh did not know that
I understand your decision much better now
We do have it pretty good in the US

Old 10-05-2012, 08:11 AM

Galion:

What other problems did you have with your Cayenne '11S besides the transfer case issue? My vehicle seems fine now that the transfer gearbox has been replaced. Really no other issues with our Cayenne '11.

Wow. Did not know that the warranty in Brazil is only 2 years. Bummer.

Still, the Cayenne is one of the best handling SUVs out there. Drawbacks are the price of the Porsche, high maintenance costs, and limited rear storage space.

Old 07-07-2015, 12:41 PM
jack_di is on a distinguished road
Hi,

My 2011 CayenneS is now out of warranty and I'm experiencing the same symptoms. Went to the dealer and they mentioned that transfer case needs to be replaced. Charging $4300..

Anyone know of any third-party warranty that can cover such repairs?

Thanks

Old 07-07-2015, 02:24 PM
gnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant future
Are you the original owner, did you buy it from that dealer, and how far out of warranty is it?

If yes, yes, and not much you might go back and tell them that you are hearing that this isn't an uncommon issue. Better still if you can get Magnetic's dealer info to pass on as well. You might be able to convince them to take it back to PCNA and get part/all of it covered via good will.

As far as adding a warranty company at this point, you would have to read the fine print closely both for what is/isn't covered as well as pre-existing conditions. If they have such a clause (and I would be shocked if they didn't) then when they talk to the dealer if it slips out "he first came to us last month" then at best they'll deny the claim and leave you on the hook but they could get ugly and sue you for fraud or breech of contract. You can lay money that a $4800 claim right after you purchase a warranty is going to make them look very closely at the claim too.

Old 12-21-2015, 09:59 AM
Imcoz is on a distinguished road
Just had the same issue w my '11 C-S. T-case replaced under CPO thank God!! The tech took a ride in the car and knew what it was after 40 feet. It was obvious this is a fairly common issue... did some add'l research and it seems the chain inside the case is typically the reason. If you get to the issue early enough (when you feel some chugging upon acceleration, almost feels like a missfire) they can be rebuilt for ~2k. New case from a dealer here in the NE will run 4500-6k. In my case there was no fault codes, but I brought it in pretty soon after I realized what it could be.

Old 01-28-2016, 10:09 PM
Qu4ttro is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Imcoz
Just had the same issue w my '11 C-S. T-case replaced under CPO thank God!! The tech took a ride in the car and knew what it was after 40 feet. It was obvious this is a fairly common issue... did some add'l research and it seems the chain inside the case is typically the reason. If you get to the issue early enough (when you feel some chugging upon acceleration, almost feels like a missfire) they can be rebuilt for ~2k. New case from a dealer here in the NE will run 4500-6k. In my case there was no fault codes, but I brought it in pretty soon after I realized what it could be.

I was worried it might be a easy fix but I believe I have a similar symptom in my 13' Base V6. I was looking for threads with similar issues but did not until I saw this.

At low speeds around 13-28mph, doesn't matter which gear I'm in, I get multiple knocking noises until I reach a higher speed and I also feel a quick forward/backward jerk with each knocking noise. Is that what you guys experienced?

Would it hurt the vehicle if I keep driving with this issue unfixed?

So do they require you to replace the entire transfer case? Why not just the chain?

Looks like this problem is quite common if we already got a handful of people with similar issues. I am glad I purchased a third party warranty with my Cayenne.

Old 01-29-2016, 06:00 AM
ohnoyuji will become famous soon enough
This is definitely a concerns, my 2011 Cayenne V6 warranty is out next year jan.
How can I tell?

Old 01-29-2016, 08:48 AM
Qu4ttro is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by ohnoyuji
This is definitely a concerns, my 2011 Cayenne V6 warranty is out next year jan.
How can I tell?
Try to see if your cars have symptoms mentioned above (like gear slipping, like misfiring, chugging upon acceleration, etc.). I don't want to say its hard to miss as it all depends on how bad it has become.

If you are worried, start looking out for an extended warranty that will cover the transfer case.

Can someone who has got the transfer case replaced tell me how long they have driven the Cayenne after the fix? TIA

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: 2011 Cayenne Transfer case replaced