Bentley From the original 3 Litre to the current Continental GT and Mulsanne

Are All Conti GTCs nightmares?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-13-2016, 09:35 AM
VaeInimicus is an unknown quantity at this point
Are All Conti GTCs nightmares?

It is hard to sift through all of the hate the Continental GT seems to reap online, more or less because most of the hate and technical jargon spewed is from people who don't exactly own one...

My hunt for a "nice" used 2007-2009 has been an insightful one to say the least, I have already driven to Cleveland, Cincinnati and here in Dublin (outside of Columbus) to look at a few mildly priced ones from non-Bentley dealerships and oh boy...If I didn't know what I know about cars and how they feel I would be in deep crap right about now.

I took a look at an '06 Conti GT - the salesman was just that, a salesman, we took it for a spin and the suspension just decided to deflate...critical failure, no idea how that happened.

Then I took a look at a '07 GTC - the dealership was amazing, they told me it was a lemon - it has water damage, fried sensors in the top (on top of it being torn), the suspension would not adjust and the windows would not go back up, on top of the control arms being shot, it handled like a drunk pregnant rhino

So the question is are all of these early year Conti's a pile of steaming crap? The closest Bentley dealership that has Bentley "certified" used vehicles is in Pittsburgh, not much further than Cleveland, but is it worth another 3 hour drive? Does the Bentley certified program hold any salt whatsoever?

I am focusing on a 2009 with less than 8K miles on it, one owner, and they seemed to have gotten it serviced all the time - on time - does that go the extra mile as far as satisfaction?

I am under no impression that these cars WON'T be a cash sink for maintaining, nor am I skilled enough to be able to service everything on my own.

Should I just keep searching? Or should I gravitate towards another "exotic" ? Any one actually own a 07-09 GTC and actually love it?

Old 06-13-2016, 10:31 AM
stevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond repute
Helped my ex recently choose a 2013 V8 and have given this much thought. She is financially fluid so no big deal on $10,000 repair bills. Yet if you're a bit financially smarter (in a sense) and cost conscience plus hate massive depreciation...

I'd wait for the 2012+ models to depreciate more. Perhaps give it another three or four years. Yes, seems the early models are cash sinks, have many known problems the factory will never help you with even through such problems are widespread manufacturing defects, etc. Later models will still be a bit costly when it comes to maintaining them unless you have a good independent. Like 'cheap' Ferrari cars and vintage Rolls Royce cars, there are good reasons why the costs are very low.

Common GTC problems include, but are not limited to, the false air hose above the transmission (engine out ~$4k) and the convertible top has many known problems from pinholes in the canvass to sensor problems to a rear window that comes unglued (new top is around $17k). If the suspension has not been changed out, it soon will probably need new air suspension bits (easily ~$6k for all four corners). Then there is the upper suspension bushings, as she is a heavy car, and it is easier to change out the entire arm assembly as pushing out the bushings is pretty much a no-go like we do with other cars (add ~$2k or more). Ok, i'll stop there.

So yes, there are reasons why you can get a 2007 GTC for only $70k, perhaps a bit less. If you do buy one, check for the above mentioned things and check the top VERY carefully as that is a big hit.

www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#safe=off&q=bentley+gtc+convertible+top +problem

Old 06-13-2016, 10:55 AM
Originally Posted by stevenrmusic
Helped my ex recently choose a 2013 V8 and have given this much thought. She is financially fluid so no big deal on $10,000 repair bills. Yet if you're a bit financially smarter (in a sense) and cost conscience plus hate massive depreciation...

I'd wait for the 2012+ models to depreciate more. Perhaps give it another three or four years. Yes, seems the early models are cash sinks, have many known problems the factory will never help you with even through such problems are widespread manufacturing defects, etc. Later models will still be a bit costly when it comes to maintaining them unless you have a good independent. Like 'cheap' Ferrari cars and vintage Rolls Royce cars, there are good reasons why the costs are very low.

Common GTC problems include, but are not limited to, the false air hose above the transmission (engine out ~$4k) and the convertible top has many known problems from pinholes in the canvass to sensor problems to a rear window that comes unglued (new top is around $17k). If the suspension has not been changed out, it soon will probably need new air suspension bits (easily ~$6k for all four corners). Then there is the upper suspension bushings, as she is a heavy car, and it is easier to change out the entire arm assembly as pushing out the bushings is pretty much a no-go like we do with other cars (add ~$2k or more). Ok, i'll stop there.

So yes, there are reasons why you can get a 2007 GTC for only $70k, perhaps a bit less. If you do buy one, check for the above mentioned things and check the top VERY carefully as that is a big hit.
Thanks for the reply, I appreciate all of the feedback - I am slowly learning about all the downfalls to those year models. Especially the top - the dealership I went to with the destroyed 2007 GTC had paid 17K replacing it and then the sensors and motor went out on it...

More to the last point - should I even consider one prior to 2011, even if it is "certified" pre-owned from an actual Bentley dealership? Or should I fork over the extra cash on a 2012+ one in a V8?

I'm all about making a sound financial decision - the more knowledgeable dealers and service techs said that 3.5K +/- a year wouldn't be out of the ball park - but can be as low as 1K per year if it is well taken care of.

Should I just go for a regular coupe? The droptop was more or less to make it easier to plop my daughter in and out of it - and less for actually having a convertible (I personally dislike convertibles)...or are the problems systemic across the FS/GT/GTC family?

I at least can miss out on 25K+ of work if the top/motor both go to **** on me lol

Old 06-13-2016, 11:45 AM
stevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond repute
Regular coupe eliminates costly top problems. A true sound financial decision would obviously be choosing a different brand of car that is known to be far more reliable and less expensive to service. Certified pre-owned means very little to some extent as the 07 GTC here qualified yet had some serious problems in the first few years (top problems, upper suspension bits and false air hose).

Ultimately the choice is yours and am glad to see you're well-aware of the known problems and costs. Keep in mind when new the W12 cars are $200k+, so expect repair and service costs that are in line with cars of this price range.

Food For Thought: You could buy a used Miata virtually every year and 'throw it out' for the annual cost and depreciation of a 2013 Bentley. Sorry of this all sounds a bit harsh, yet am glad you're thinking about this purchase being well-informed.

And yes, problems are systemic across all early models FS/GT/GTC. They are all basically the same car mechanically. The one good thing about early models is that they are basically a VW Phaeton, so some things can be sorted by your local VW dealer at a far less cost plus independents are well-aware of what may be wrong and how to source parts with the Audi, VW, or the true part manufacturer source versus the same part within a Bentley box that may cost more.

Recent Example: VW aligned all four tires of the 2007 GTC last week for $150, Bentley wanted $400.

Last edited by stevenrmusic; 06-13-2016 at 11:50 AM.
Old 06-13-2016, 11:50 AM
Regular coupe eliminates costly top problems. A true sound financial decision would obviously be choosing a different brand of car that is known to be far more reliable and less expensive to service. Certified pre-owned means very little to some extent as the 07 GTC here qualified yet had some serious problems in the first few years (top problems, upper suspension bits and false air hose).

Ultimately the choice is yours and am glad to see you're well-aware of the known problems and costs. Keep in mind when new the W12 cars are $200k+, so expect repair and service costs that are in line with cars of this price range.

Food For Thought: You could buy a used Miata virtually every year and 'throw it out' for the annual cost and depreciation of a 2013 Bentley. Sorry of this all sounds a bit harsh, yet am glad you're thinking about this purchase being well-informed.
You are definitely right - even in the position I am where I could afford it even with the steep maintenance cost, it comes to the point that I am looking at it like I am throwing out money.

The 2007 wasn't certified by any means - I guess that is a moot point, since bad stuff can escape, and end of the day the dealership needs to make money, I haven't even called the guys in Pittsburgh yet since I am still apprehensive.

I guess I will wait for the time being, but is a death sentence owning one at all? Do they all just sputter and die, or can they actually be reliable for a year or 2?

So far I have watched this one guy's youtube channel of his 05' Conti going strong besides regular scheduled maint, then I see other 2009s, etc go directly in the trash within the first year.

This gave me more questions than answers, I thank you for sticking with me while my mind unravels this

Old 06-13-2016, 12:25 PM
Always glad to help. Are the odds in your favor for a reliable 'cost-free' unit, I'd guess no as wear and tear items are a given. Even the dealer says $1000 to $3500 a year. Yes reliability can and does happen, yet I would not bet my life on it. Roll the dice, take your chances.

Obviously these are not Toyota, Nissan or BMW cars. The more I learn about the VW Group of products, the more I feel the next vehicle will be a BMW. Am already in talks for possibly a BMW M4, and given the price range you may be in you could get a nice used (or new) modern M4 that includes many years of free servicing and worry-free warranty too. Just got the wife a used X1 and must admit it is very impressive for the 'low' cost. The local BMW dealer has been a joy to work with too.

Last edited by stevenrmusic; 06-13-2016 at 12:30 PM.
Old 06-15-2016, 01:09 PM
Always glad to help. Are the odds in your favor for a reliable 'cost-free' unit, I'd guess no as wear and tear items are a given. Even the dealer says $1000 to $3500 a year. Yes reliability can and does happen, yet I would not bet my life on it. Roll the dice, take your chances.

Obviously these are not Toyota, Nissan or BMW cars. The more I learn about the VW Group of products, the more I feel the next vehicle will be a BMW. Am already in talks for possibly a BMW M4, and given the price range you may be in you could get a nice used (or new) modern M4 that includes many years of free servicing and worry-free warranty too. Just got the wife a used X1 and must admit it is very impressive for the 'low' cost. The local BMW dealer has been a joy to work with too.
Do you mind if I ping you via email offline? I do not want to swamp the forum with my musings.

If you are available that is, I'm sure your time is worth more than an E-interrogation about British cars

Old 06-18-2016, 01:02 PM
Hmmm, last time someone asked that it was Fifth Gear and seems they were, well.... So ask here in public please.

Old 06-20-2016, 01:43 PM
FtnDlr is on a distinguished road
Keep looking......

I understand your dilemma. I was in the same place. In a two year period I looked at no less than 30 Bentley GTC's at 10 different Bentley dealers around the country. I was stunned at the poor condition of the cars that were called "CPO". There is some real junk out there (I'm very picky). Just like you, I was looking in the 2008 range but I did not go that way. Eventually I found a 2011 GTC Speed that was well cared for and bought it on the spot. I have had it for over two years now and it has been nothing but a joy to own. Take your time............and keep looking. Good ones are out there but are very hard to find.

Old 06-21-2016, 07:43 AM
Congrats! It is amazing what might pass as CPO. Must say my ex-wife's recent purchase, which I helped her with, of the 2013 GT seems far better built and Bentley has done work to improve the overall design. Not visually per se, I'm referring to build quality and probably reliability to some extent.

Old 06-21-2016, 11:03 AM
ExSF is a name known to allExSF is a name known to allExSF is a name known to allExSF is a name known to allExSF is a name known to allExSF is a name known to all
My daughter has just mentioned buying either an Aston, a Conti or maybe a Jag for her boyfriend. Having personally owned all three makes I advised her to buy a Jag XK.

Old 06-22-2016, 07:21 PM
Swflbt23 has a spectacular aura aboutSwflbt23 has a spectacular aura aboutSwflbt23 has a spectacular aura about
Part of the issue is Bentley has pretty loose standards on "cpo" and some dealers take advantage. Bentley will allow a car to be certified even with a dirty carfax as long as it doesn't have frame damage which is wrong in my opinion. With that being said there isn't many highend luxury cars that are as mechanically sound as a w12 continental. Yes GTC's are money pits but coupes are pretty reliable. Do things go wrong yes but for the most part they are solid especially compared to the issues we delt with on Rolls Royce. And please don't get me started on Maserati and Aston both are fun to drive but we had some of them more often then the customer. Best chances to find a clean Bentley is to look in a warm weather state in a vacation town. For instance most cars in Miami are trashed compared to those in Naples or Sarasota. Also naples is an older community which means you more likely to find one that is unmodified compared to let's say Atlanta.

Old 01-23-2017, 09:06 AM
jim2331 can only hope to improve
...what did you finally arrive with...mine is 2010 Speed, no trouble in 5 years, just r/r main battery now and inept dealer issues...JimB

Old 01-23-2017, 11:16 PM
plastique999 is a name known to allplastique999 is a name known to allplastique999 is a name known to allplastique999 is a name known to allplastique999 is a name known to allplastique999 is a name known to all
Originally Posted by jim2331
...what did you finally arrive with...mine is 2010 Speed, no trouble in 5 years, just r/r main battery now and inept dealer issues...JimB
i just picked up a second Bentley (had FS in past) and just also got a 2010 GTC Speed. So far it's a blast to drive!

Old 01-23-2017, 11:31 PM
ULSTRUP is on a distinguished road
my 2006 has now 137000 km.(abt 85000 miles).it had 63000 km
(abt 40000 miles) when I bought it 2 years ago...
the only problem I had since I bought it was a sagging headliner.

most of these miles had been done on highway and autobahn (at very high speed)
the car is properly maintained as per Bentley requirements and I'm spending about 5000€ a year for that.

the car drive like a dream and I consider it as the best car I have owned, and I have had my share of high end cars.

Good GT exists....

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Are All Conti GTCs nightmares?