Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

No airbox = more power

Old 11-19-2016, 05:50 PM
DetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud ofDetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud ofDetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud ofDetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud ofDetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud ofDetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud ofDetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud ofDetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud of
No airbox = more power

I am currently running the power pack air boxes with the flaps that open and K&N filters.

Is anyone running without the air boxes and just open filters? The boxes seem very restrictive and I am curious if there are gains to be had (HP/TQ and throttle response) by removing them all together. My car has never been driven in the rain so not concerned with elements.

Old 11-19-2016, 06:05 PM
Old phart is a jewel in the roughOld phart is a jewel in the roughOld phart is a jewel in the roughOld phart is a jewel in the rough
Pulled mine and replaced them with cone filters about three weeks ago. It's all subjective as I have not dyno'd anything before or after. Only really noticeable thing was the increase of sound coming from the front. I do think that they must flow more air than before as the stock inlet vs the area of the open cone is significant.
And I really doubt there can be any 'ram air' effect from the stock setup you're losing out on with the open filters.
Just my 4 cents.

Old 11-19-2016, 06:33 PM
Dalecannavan is a splendid one to beholdDalecannavan is a splendid one to beholdDalecannavan is a splendid one to beholdDalecannavan is a splendid one to beholdDalecannavan is a splendid one to beholdDalecannavan is a splendid one to behold
I'm surprised no one has dynoed this simple mod yet.

Old 11-19-2016, 07:52 PM
DetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud ofDetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud ofDetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud ofDetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud ofDetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud ofDetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud ofDetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud ofDetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Old phart
Pulled mine and replaced them with cone filters about three weeks ago. It's all subjective as I have not dyno'd anything before or after. Only really noticeable thing was the increase of sound coming from the front. I do think that they must flow more air than before as the stock inlet vs the area of the open cone is significant.
And I really doubt there can be any 'ram air' effect from the stock setup you're losing out on with the open filters.
Just my 4 cents.
Thanks-Do you have a picture of what your setup looks like now? I know stock setup has a bit of ram air effect through grill that feeds to both boxes. Agree filters with no air box are much less restrictive but question if we lose any gains from forced air at speed into the air boxes.....

Old 11-19-2016, 07:54 PM
Originally Posted by Dalecannavan
I'm surprised no one has dynoed this simple mod yet.
I believe it may be tough to Dyno accurately though as any benefits with air boxes on would be at speed with "ram air".

Old 11-20-2016, 03:12 PM
drivergmx is a jewel in the roughdrivergmx is a jewel in the roughdrivergmx is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by Old phart
Just my 4 cents.
I am considering removing the air boxes and installing cones on my DBS. Which filters did you use? Was it part of a kit including mounting hardware?

Old 11-20-2016, 04:41 PM
Old phart is a jewel in the roughOld phart is a jewel in the roughOld phart is a jewel in the roughOld phart is a jewel in the rough
From a thread I posted to on Pistonheads

Once I got the boxes out I measured the intakes and ordered a couple of these

http://www.knfilters.com/search/prod......(moderators removed the product number and I'm guessing would do so again) Just measured the inlet and found a cone filter with the same measurements.

Fit well enough but had to put some bits of rubber and zip tie them so they wouldn't move around or vibrate against anything.

I see there's an active thread on ram Air going right now. Might be setting myself up for a few shots but I think the Aston Sport Pack air boxes kind of prove there is no ram air effect from the stock setup. If there was a ram air effect wouldn't having the air boxes open up under throttle allow the 'ram air' to escape? The sport boxes seen to be simply allowing a higher volume of air to make it to the filter. And so extrapolating it out, having no box but an unobstructed filter would be the ideal.

Thoughts?

Old 11-20-2016, 05:31 PM
drivergmx is a jewel in the roughdrivergmx is a jewel in the roughdrivergmx is a jewel in the rough
It's similar to the Harley Davidson stage one performance modification; install a heavy breather kit, a less restrictive exhaust and a quick remap to compensate for the increased airflow... I think the only loss would be colder more dense intake air at cruise.

Old 11-21-2016, 02:10 PM
flinder is a splendid one to beholdflinder is a splendid one to beholdflinder is a splendid one to beholdflinder is a splendid one to beholdflinder is a splendid one to beholdflinder is a splendid one to beholdflinder is a splendid one to behold
Concurrence, OE design probably ineffective

Old phart, Your argument relative to the "power adding flaps" and 'what ram air?" seems pretty well thought out to me. Consider also, in the OE system, the rammed air has to make several 90 degree turns inside 3 feet of tubing before getting to the filter elements. Further, the opening behind the upper grille is too small to capture much air to be redirected in the first place. The complexity of the system itself negates any ram effect.

Old 11-21-2016, 05:04 PM
era2076 is on a distinguished road
+1 on the ram air - I don't see how.

Adding flaps and getting 10 bhp is tell-tale. The system looks like it is designed to reduce noise. Interesting they would spend extra for 2 filter complexity. The engine will only pump so much air. Maybe the tract was so restrictive they had to.

chr

Old 11-28-2016, 10:43 PM
Snorkel Removal

Old Phart - We are working on this and have ordered some Amsoil dry filters. Hope to have them tomorrow for fitting. We removed the 2 tubes feeding the air boxes by splitting them in half at the pinch seams and sliding the halves out.

We separated the snorkel the same way and have the back half out, but cannot remove the front because we cannot clear the the mounting tabs.

I hate to think we have to completely disassemble the front sheet metal and frame. We need about an inch of clearance.

Do you know if we can remove this by pulling the radiator or perhaps some other avenue?

x-chr

Old 11-28-2016, 11:03 PM
I just realized you are maintaining a DB9 so that is probably not going to work - LOL. If anyone has any ideas, they would be welcome.

x-chr

Old 11-29-2016, 12:19 AM
captain Greg is a splendid one to beholdcaptain Greg is a splendid one to beholdcaptain Greg is a splendid one to beholdcaptain Greg is a splendid one to beholdcaptain Greg is a splendid one to beholdcaptain Greg is a splendid one to beholdcaptain Greg is a splendid one to behold
wont removing the snorkels and boxes make the filter suck in warm or hot air?
The placement of the intake was not IMO a ram air initiative but rather a place to find a cooler air on the intake? I may be incorrect.
we all know hot air in the intake will reduce performance, again difficult to feel in day to day driving

Old 11-29-2016, 07:06 AM
Originally Posted by captain Greg
wont removing the snorkels and boxes make the filter suck in warm or hot air?
The placement of the intake was not IMO a ram air initiative but rather a place to find a cooler air on the intake? I may be incorrect.
we all know hot air in the intake will reduce performance, again difficult to feel in day to day driving
Agree with the Captain. Took out my boxes but left the ducting in so the cooler air would get to the filters.

Old 11-29-2016, 08:12 AM
vince_1972 is just really nicevince_1972 is just really nicevince_1972 is just really nicevince_1972 is just really nice
It's easy to find fresh air, the hardest isn't to have water that enters the filter in case of rain.

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.