911 as a Daily Driver in the North East

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-28-2016, 08:14 AM
amelen is on a distinguished road
911 as a Daily Driver in the North East

As some of you might have seen from my other posts, I've been thinking about getting a 911 cab. To be honest, I've been on the market for one for a long time, but always settle for something else (last 2 being Porsche Macan & Audi S6). I'm still on the fence with a 911 cab being a good daily driver.

Living in the NYC suburbs, I probably would need AWD to start, but even with that, the amount of miles I put on (15k/year) and the sometimes brutal winters, might take a big hit on the car. I have some friends who keep a winter beater as a 2nd car (we have my wife's ML350, but I wouldn't be able to use it much since she uses it with the kids). Would love to get some opinions and real-world experiences. Thank you!

Old 11-28-2016, 03:47 PM
John McLane is a splendid one to beholdJohn McLane is a splendid one to beholdJohn McLane is a splendid one to beholdJohn McLane is a splendid one to beholdJohn McLane is a splendid one to beholdJohn McLane is a splendid one to beholdJohn McLane is a splendid one to behold
I drive mine all year round in Chicago, 991 and now 991.2

Add some Alpins from Costco (1500), they charge me 40 every time I swap them in early December then back to summer tires in early April. Given it's so flat here, awd is not an issue.

Of note, these cars are driven all year throughout Europe

Old 11-28-2016, 05:21 PM
_ace_ is a splendid one to behold_ace_ is a splendid one to behold_ace_ is a splendid one to behold_ace_ is a splendid one to behold_ace_ is a splendid one to behold_ace_ is a splendid one to behold_ace_ is a splendid one to behold_ace_ is a splendid one to behold
Is leasing an option?

You can get a 15k/yr lease and quite frankly if you need more the $0.30/mile overage fee (at least that's what it has been) isn't much compared to the overall lease cost. Leasing isn't the cheapest way to go but it's certainly low risk and might make sense in your case. Also I'd try to take a targa for a spin if you can find one.

If you try it for 2-3 years you can decide if a 911 is the way to go and buy the lease out, get a new one, or go another direction. The post-991.2 design may be available to you at that point.

Old 11-28-2016, 05:28 PM
SLATETT is a splendid one to beholdSLATETT is a splendid one to beholdSLATETT is a splendid one to beholdSLATETT is a splendid one to beholdSLATETT is a splendid one to beholdSLATETT is a splendid one to beholdSLATETT is a splendid one to beholdSLATETT is a splendid one to behold
I have a '15 C4S now with snow tires on it for majority or days .. and for those tough winter days '14 Cayenne Diesel with snows

Old 11-28-2016, 05:40 PM
jnscolo is a name known to alljnscolo is a name known to alljnscolo is a name known to alljnscolo is a name known to alljnscolo is a name known to alljnscolo is a name known to all
Seems there are actually two questions embedded in your post:

1) C4 Cab as a year-round daily driver? Two thumbs way up. I live in Colorado and drive in the high Rockies at least monthly. Unless there's 8" or more of snow, my 991 with snow tires is phenomenal. If there's more snow, people understand why you reschedule/skip your appointments. I had Scorpions for the first three winters, and just went to Alpins for the next 3-4 winters.

2) Resale/value if driven year round? That's so highly situation-dependent I can't answer. For me, I always intended to buy and keep my 991, so it's not something I worry about.

Old 11-28-2016, 08:08 PM
VipNYC is an unknown quantity at this point
Can't speak for a cab but I have a 14 C4 coupe and it's been a great dd. Put some alpins on and don't drive in deep snow.

Old 11-28-2016, 10:38 PM
MrPorsche has much to be proud ofMrPorsche has much to be proud ofMrPorsche has much to be proud ofMrPorsche has much to be proud ofMrPorsche has much to be proud ofMrPorsche has much to be proud ofMrPorsche has much to be proud ofMrPorsche has much to be proud of
I'm looking at a similar car, except right now I'm in Colorado.
My concern is that you aren't supposed to take a cab through a drive through car wash, and I can't stand all the filth that ends up on my truck just driving through melted snow on clear streets. Luckily for me though the cab would be for nice days, and the SUV for slushy days.

Old 11-29-2016, 06:42 AM
Dennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to behold
I use Griot's waterless carwash in my garage in winter months. It works well.

Old 11-29-2016, 01:21 PM
drspeed has much to be proud ofdrspeed has much to be proud ofdrspeed has much to be proud ofdrspeed has much to be proud ofdrspeed has much to be proud ofdrspeed has much to be proud ofdrspeed has much to be proud ofdrspeed has much to be proud ofdrspeed has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by amelen
As some of you might have seen from my other posts, I've been thinking about getting a 911 cab. To be honest, I've been on the market for one for a long time, but always settle for something else (last 2 being Porsche Macan & Audi S6). I'm still on the fence with a 911 cab being a good daily driver.

Living in the NYC suburbs, I probably would need AWD to start, but even with that, the amount of miles I put on (15k/year) and the sometimes brutal winters, might take a big hit on the car. I have some friends who keep a winter beater as a 2nd car (we have my wife's ML350, but I wouldn't be able to use it much since she uses it with the kids). Would love to get some opinions and real-world experiences. Thank you!
I'm in CT and I drive my carreras all year round. a carrera 2 with snow tires should outperform a 4/4S in snow in all measures except getting stuck at rest on an incline. Get winters, get the front of your car wrapped and go have fun in the snow. The only comment I have regarding your choice is the cab element. Cab's are great weekend low mileage cars. Roads in the northeast are in poor condition for a variety of reasons and driving in the snow can be a little harsher on the car than black ribbon flattop in a snow-free climate. Meaning....your car will develop rattles sooner than later. What about a targa?

Can't loose any way you choose. Have fun. Happy holidays.

Regards,
DRP

Old 11-30-2016, 10:43 AM
KonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud of
As long as the snow is below the bumper line, I would take a 991C2 with winter tires over an AWD SUV with all-seasons any day of the week.

Old 12-01-2016, 09:19 PM
carsnob is on a distinguished road
Been driving C4 cabs in Canada for 15 years as a dd. Maybe 1 or 2 days per year of snow too deep.
Defrosting glass rear windows have been great. Now heated steering wheels are a bonus. Personally I hate freezing cold seats that only warm up too late. Hence I tacky it up with 80's style sheepskin nice quality seat covers and it is warm and cozy in winter. Don't care what anyone thinks or says as it's super comfortable especially after being parked outside somewhere on a cold day or night.

Old 12-02-2016, 05:23 AM
eldertec is a splendid one to beholdeldertec is a splendid one to beholdeldertec is a splendid one to beholdeldertec is a splendid one to beholdeldertec is a splendid one to beholdeldertec is a splendid one to beholdeldertec is a splendid one to beholdeldertec is a splendid one to behold
Agree...drive year round...Nokian winter 19's
If go out in deep snow also...100% different experience than dry pavement!
4S is Fantastic!
Baltimore

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	photo170.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	824.2 KB
ID:	464946  
Old 12-02-2016, 07:10 PM
rnl
rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by amelen

every day here except when it snows...not because i can't but the snow brings out the deplorables who drive ignoring the laws of physics.

I live in the western Philadelphia suburbs. I have 65000 miles on my 991.1

Old 12-02-2016, 09:28 PM
MSCHWA3439 is infamous around these parts
I live in South Jersey. On my 4th C4 cab in 11 years. Always drive year round. 19 inch wheels preferable over 20s for winter tires. NO WORRIES. go for it!

Old 12-03-2016, 02:51 PM
Zmoney is on a distinguished road
This will be my third winter driving a 991 C4S in the Cleveland snowy winters. I down size to 19" wheels and have been using Pirelli Sottozeros. I have had zero issues and tons of fun. I'm almost excited for the snow to start flying.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.