ByDesign Stage 3 runs 9.979 at Redlist

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-03-2016, 11:36 PM
Uthatcher has a reputation beyond reputeUthatcher has a reputation beyond reputeUthatcher has a reputation beyond reputeUthatcher has a reputation beyond reputeUthatcher has a reputation beyond reputeUthatcher has a reputation beyond reputeUthatcher has a reputation beyond reputeUthatcher has a reputation beyond reputeUthatcher has a reputation beyond reputeUthatcher has a reputation beyond reputeUthatcher has a reputation beyond repute
ByDesign Stage 3 runs 9.979 at Redlist

We had an epic day today and I'm pretty tired so I'm going to keep this post pretty short.

Sam and I drove up to Famoso to run Redlist and see what my car will go. It's a Stage 3...stock turbos and no nitrous. After all the drama here lately we were really curious to see what this setup would really go, verified. I personally was convinced a 9 was possible, but it hadn't been done and has certainly become a touchy subject around here.

Things were moving really slowly at the event, I didn't even get my first run until 10:52 AM. But it was worth the wait, that run was a 10.014 @ 137.71. From there we knew were going to run some nice times. The air was good and the track was prepped pretty well.

The next run was the one; 9.979 @136.86. The car was hooking decently and running really hard. The 3rd run, I goofed up and didn't burn out enough and ran a 10.10 with a lot of wheelspin. We would have been super happy even with that last number, but the 9.97 was awesome and made the trip worth it right there.

I can also say with certainty that there was more on the table with the car. It ran what it ran, but it will run faster.

The downside was on the 4th run an issue came up with what we think is the PDK. The car started an odd clicking sound so we aborted the rest of the day and towed it home to get it checked out. By the time we left the track Sam had already made arrangements with a Porsche dealer to check the car out and see what's up. So we'll see, but my hunch is it's nothing major.

Anyway, that last run sort of threw a damper on the day for a little bit, but once we sat back and realized what we did, I really didn't care. The car was a beast and the day was a blast. Anytime you can pull something off that people are so certain can't be done, it's pretty satisfying.

Sam is going upload some videos I think and we have some pictures as well, but the timeslips are here.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	fullsizeoutput_132.jpeg
Views:	102
Size:	1.33 MB
ID:	465055  
Old 12-03-2016, 11:42 PM
Boosted TTS has a reputation beyond reputeBoosted TTS has a reputation beyond reputeBoosted TTS has a reputation beyond reputeBoosted TTS has a reputation beyond reputeBoosted TTS has a reputation beyond reputeBoosted TTS has a reputation beyond reputeBoosted TTS has a reputation beyond reputeBoosted TTS has a reputation beyond reputeBoosted TTS has a reputation beyond reputeBoosted TTS has a reputation beyond reputeBoosted TTS has a reputation beyond repute
WOW, congrats!!!

Old 12-04-2016, 03:50 AM
sdg1871 Is a GOD !sdg1871 Is a GOD !sdg1871 Is a GOD !sdg1871 Is a GOD !sdg1871 Is a GOD !sdg1871 Is a GOD !sdg1871 Is a GOD !sdg1871 Is a GOD !sdg1871 Is a GOD !sdg1871 Is a GOD !sdg1871 Is a GOD !
Wow. Congratulations!! What tires were you running? The 1.5 69 foot time suggests stock tires or MPSSs rather than the 1.4 you can hit with drag radials. MPH and ET are awesome.

Old 12-04-2016, 06:14 AM
Slate997TT has a brilliant futureSlate997TT has a brilliant futureSlate997TT has a brilliant futureSlate997TT has a brilliant futureSlate997TT has a brilliant futureSlate997TT has a brilliant futureSlate997TT has a brilliant futureSlate997TT has a brilliant futureSlate997TT has a brilliant futureSlate997TT has a brilliant futureSlate997TT has a brilliant future
Wow! That's great congratulations!! Car is a beast. Also congratulations to Sam, seems he is on point with his packages

Old 12-04-2016, 06:18 AM
Stage7 has a reputation beyond reputeStage7 has a reputation beyond reputeStage7 has a reputation beyond reputeStage7 has a reputation beyond reputeStage7 has a reputation beyond reputeStage7 has a reputation beyond reputeStage7 has a reputation beyond reputeStage7 has a reputation beyond reputeStage7 has a reputation beyond reputeStage7 has a reputation beyond reputeStage7 has a reputation beyond repute
Congrats guys! It's great to see what is possible with the stock turbos, tune, and bolt ons. 137mph is cooking. I hope the pdk issue is a simple one.

Old 12-04-2016, 07:37 AM
Nanook Is a GOD !Nanook Is a GOD !Nanook Is a GOD !Nanook Is a GOD !Nanook Is a GOD !Nanook Is a GOD !Nanook Is a GOD !Nanook Is a GOD !Nanook Is a GOD !Nanook Is a GOD !Nanook Is a GOD !
Awesome simply awesome but those fold lines looks suspect !!

J/K..now add the turbos and fuel and 9.XX ??

Old 12-04-2016, 08:07 AM
GT3Fan24 Is a GOD !GT3Fan24 Is a GOD !GT3Fan24 Is a GOD !GT3Fan24 Is a GOD !GT3Fan24 Is a GOD !GT3Fan24 Is a GOD !GT3Fan24 Is a GOD !GT3Fan24 Is a GOD !GT3Fan24 Is a GOD !GT3Fan24 Is a GOD !GT3Fan24 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Nanook
Awesome simply awesome but those fold lines looks suspect !!

J/K..now add the turbos and fuel and 9.XX ??
Oh I am sure there is a certain someone scouring the interweb to find identical slips

Great work by both and congrats Sam, another beast in the stable.

Old 12-04-2016, 08:20 AM
wrs
wrs Is a GOD !wrs Is a GOD !wrs Is a GOD !wrs Is a GOD !wrs Is a GOD !wrs Is a GOD !wrs Is a GOD !wrs Is a GOD !wrs Is a GOD !wrs Is a GOD !wrs Is a GOD !
I think that I am going back to using TC when I make my runs. I just don't see any grip and I don't have bad tires. They just checked out fine for the track according to Jason at ATXAutosport so no need to waste money changing them. Without TC on the back of the car feels like my M5 did. It's definitely slipping and I am definitely brake boosting and warming up the tires first. The throttle body hose is being replaced and the car is going to be tested for boost leaks as well so maybe there was something there too.

Even though I like the car, if it doesn't cut it after the turbos, it's gone so anyone on here that wants it can make me an offer. Of course who would want a slow car when everyone is trying to make them fast? LOL! I have all the Stage 3 and can't touch these kinds of times in any conditions.

Please send me your logs so I can compare if you don't mind. If you took Vbox, then post that too. I will produce the excel charts and post them if you don't mind. I would also like to use the AP data to see how it compares to the track slips and the Vbox. I want to see how it also compares to Carlos AP logs he sent me and to mine. I can't get better if I can't see what's wrong.

P.S. If I can't get this car better it's not worth keeping. Spent too much money already to keep pouring into it. Would rather just get rid of it and put the Fcar in the garage spot. At least with the Ferrari I will be spending all the money up front.

PPS

What was the fuel and map?

Last edited by wrs; 12-04-2016 at 08:42 AM.
Old 12-04-2016, 08:34 AM
Former Vendor
SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !
Gooooooooooood morning!
Thanks everyone and LOL! I can laugh now as I took what happened before really personally. Especially the attempts to discredit myself and my teams hard work let alone our character. I knew we could get a By Design Stage III to do it or at least get super close we just kept focusing on big turbo chargers. Also I never had a local car to put all the extra efforts in and support. Here comes in my dude Uri! like many before him he was ready to jump up to the next level. Then he said let's go do this together in great support and it really was a nice challenge. We had a good time and I really want to thank you buddy. Having a beer and hanging out at the end at the spot too. That's what it's all about! It's like getting a notch on your belt before you go up to the next level for sure.

So again thank you to my new friend Uri and my super kick *** team who always helps me not only with the performance but all the support needed to keep my friends happy and running reliably! Oh and welcome to the 9 Second Club!

This car was under 600 to the wheels for sure so whatever failed really should not have. I've already got things in motion so we can support and take care of whatever we need to. Tires were the new Toyo R888R which has a new asymmetric design and I think it's more of a road course tire. We couldn't get into the 1.4s although the track was extremely well prepped. So I think if we really wanted to we could run even quicker. That's another thing that made a scratch our heads because something week in the driveline gave out during a launch to warm up the tires.

Mike was also there in his 991.2 with full Kline Inconel but she just wouldn't hook up. Eli showed up with his .1 Stage 2. With exhaust and tune only he pulled some 1030s!

Here' some cool pics. Thanks again everyone! Going to hang out with the family today but I'll get a couple videos up later as well on here. Feeling good!

Last edited by SamboTT@ByDesign; 12-04-2016 at 08:49 AM.
Old 12-04-2016, 08:39 AM
Former Vendor
SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !
Hey William!

We discovered a few new things that I think might be contributing to your issues. First of all your car is making a very good power and is fast it just couldn't hook leaving the line. When these cars you're too much the traction control still interferes to an extent. You could be hitting a groove or just not going straight and that could be killing you. Also there might be something going on with the 2014's in the PDK. After upgrading several of them and working closely with Dodson motorsport I found very slight changes and it could be that the first batch of cars have some issues. We will see you soon and I'll share whatever we learn.

Please guys I don't want to get into this…But just FYI. The map started as the same one that I built for fake slip guy. Couple other adjustments were made but pretty close. I also built one of my traction maps but we never got around to using it. Sometimes it's really slow going at these events and most of your time is spent in line. We still had fun. It had been along time since I've gone and it was really cool to see a lot of guys again too.

Old 12-04-2016, 09:00 AM
longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !
Congrats Uri and Sam! Glad you had success with the new r888. Just rears or is there a size for the fronts?

And thx for continuing the blaze the trail as a few of us are done with 1/4 mile after what happened to me and Mark and now this - hope you get the issue resolved quickly. There is just so much grip at famoso and the DA was insane yesterday so definitely a place where things can break. The launch pad at the airstrip seems a lot more forgiving.

Old 12-04-2016, 09:38 AM
sdg1871 Is a GOD !sdg1871 Is a GOD !sdg1871 Is a GOD !sdg1871 Is a GOD !sdg1871 Is a GOD !sdg1871 Is a GOD !sdg1871 Is a GOD !sdg1871 Is a GOD !sdg1871 Is a GOD !sdg1871 Is a GOD !sdg1871 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by SamboTT@ByDesign
Gooooooooooood morning!
Thanks everyone and LOL! I can laugh now as I took what happened before really personally. Especially the attempts to discredit myself and my teams hard work let alone our character. I knew we could get a By Design Stage III to do it or at least get super close we just kept focusing on big turbo chargers. Also I never had a local car to put all the extra efforts in and support. Here comes in my dude Uri! like many before him he was ready to jump up to the next level. Then he said let's go do this together in great support and it really was a nice challenge. We had a good time and I really want to thank you buddy. Having a beer and hanging out at the end at the spot too. That's what it's all about! It's like getting a notch on your belt before you go up to the next level for sure.

So again thank you to my new friend Uri and my super kick *** team who always helps me not only with the performance but all the support needed to keep my friends happy and running reliably! Oh and welcome to the 9 Second Club!

This car was under 600 to the wheels for sure so whatever failed really should not have. I've already got things in motion so we can support and take care of whatever we need to. Tires were the new Toyo R888R which has a new asymmetric design and I think it's more of a road course tire. We couldn't get into the 1.4s although the track was extremely well prepped. So I think if we really wanted to we could run even quicker. That's another thing that made a scratch our heads because something week in the driveline gave out during a launch to warm up the tires.

Mike was also there in his 991.2 with full Kline Inconel but she just wouldn't hook up. Eli showed up with his .1 Stage 2. With exhaust and tune only he pulled some 1030s!

Here' some cool pics. Thanks again everyone! Going to hang out with the family today but I'll get a couple videos up later as well on here. Feeling good!

Congrats. Your hard work has paid off.

Old 12-04-2016, 09:45 AM
wrs
wrs Is a GOD !wrs Is a GOD !wrs Is a GOD !wrs Is a GOD !wrs Is a GOD !wrs Is a GOD !wrs Is a GOD !wrs Is a GOD !wrs Is a GOD !wrs Is a GOD !wrs Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by SamboTT@ByDesign
Gooooooooooood morning!

So the car wasn't driveable? Was there a CEL and code?

Old 12-04-2016, 09:56 AM
Former Vendor
Cheers guys

Rears only Adam. I don't think they hook quite as good in a straight shot because my shoes almost came off every time I walked cross the track but we couldn't get below a 1.51 60ft. Plus you guys will hear later in the video that I post the whole starter shift thing which the boys are working on

Car runs and drives. No codes. Having looked inside there I think I know what gave out but we shall see, no sense in guessing.

Last edited by SamboTT@ByDesign; 12-04-2016 at 10:06 AM.
Old 12-04-2016, 09:57 AM
Uthatcher has a reputation beyond reputeUthatcher has a reputation beyond reputeUthatcher has a reputation beyond reputeUthatcher has a reputation beyond reputeUthatcher has a reputation beyond reputeUthatcher has a reputation beyond reputeUthatcher has a reputation beyond reputeUthatcher has a reputation beyond reputeUthatcher has a reputation beyond reputeUthatcher has a reputation beyond reputeUthatcher has a reputation beyond repute
To answer a few of the questions, the Toyo's are rears only, stock pirelli's in front.

I will get VBox logs and also we have Cobb logs as well for at least 2 of the runs. I'll let Sam handle that end and the VBox I've never even used before so it'll take a me a day or two. But I'll get them and post them at some point

As as far as the PDK issue, yes the track was prepped well and the car is making nice power, but as can be seen from my 60ft times, there was room left to improve. I never actually had a really clean, smooth, fully hooked up run. I thought we were going to have way more runs so we ran the 9.97 with 28psi in the rears and 35 fronts. My thought was to incrementally reduce tire pressure to find the balance between bite and mph. Unfortunately we didn't get enough runs to find out. But I do know for certain there's better holeshots to be had and I would have been more aggressive with TP had I realized the limited track time we'd have.

I'm making two points with this; one, I don't necessarily believe it was driveline stress that caused the failure. Plenty of cars have launched way harder out there with more power and equal or better traction.

Two, there's more ET in the car. The 9 second run was nice and fairly clean for sure, but it's evident by the 60ft that there's more to be had. We had dropped the rear TP to 25 prior to the last run so it may have been better, but we'll never know!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.