By Design - John Bray 991TTS Motor Build

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-07-2016, 03:13 PM
Markblackwell Is a GOD !Markblackwell Is a GOD !Markblackwell Is a GOD !Markblackwell Is a GOD !Markblackwell Is a GOD !Markblackwell Is a GOD !Markblackwell Is a GOD !Markblackwell Is a GOD !Markblackwell Is a GOD !Markblackwell Is a GOD !Markblackwell Is a GOD !
By Design - John Bray 991TTS Motor Build

As you all know I had oil issues with my car when I ran the Mojave Mile there was so much oil that it blew back into the cylinders where it acted like fuel and melted a couple of plugs, **** happens really fast at 200+mph. So I trailered the car to Sams shop, ( Actually his house ) then it went to his shop. Sam called up John Bray and shipped the motor to Evo-Spec to dismantle and make sure everthing there were no major issues, after John had it apart Sam/John and myself came up with a plan. You will all be glad to here the HP and Torque my car was putting out the stock rods were straight as an arrow. Here is what we came up with to beef up the bottom end to withstand 1,100whp ( because you never know when you might need a little extra power ) Carrillo rods and 12mm Head studs. On the Power side we went with Stage 2 cams and a CNC port job on the heads along with Inconel valves. I am still going to use VTG's turbos so see what kind of power we can make, Were not going to get to much more on the VTG's as they are pretty much maxed. Should I Decide to ditch the vtg's then the Cams and head work will really pay dividends. Motor should be back next week, Here are probably the first pictures you will see of the 991 TTS motor.

Just wanted to say thanks again to Sambo for pulling all this off and being there when he was needed.

Old 12-07-2016, 03:19 PM
GT3Fan24 Is a GOD !GT3Fan24 Is a GOD !GT3Fan24 Is a GOD !GT3Fan24 Is a GOD !GT3Fan24 Is a GOD !GT3Fan24 Is a GOD !GT3Fan24 Is a GOD !GT3Fan24 Is a GOD !GT3Fan24 Is a GOD !GT3Fan24 Is a GOD !GT3Fan24 Is a GOD !
Very cool pics. So no PDK issues from Mojave?

Old 12-07-2016, 03:21 PM
Markblackwell Is a GOD !Markblackwell Is a GOD !Markblackwell Is a GOD !Markblackwell Is a GOD !Markblackwell Is a GOD !Markblackwell Is a GOD !Markblackwell Is a GOD !Markblackwell Is a GOD !Markblackwell Is a GOD !Markblackwell Is a GOD !Markblackwell Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Goin2drt
Very cool pics. So no PDK issues from Mojave?
I had zero issues with the PD K granted I only have about 70 miles on the PD K but that works flawlessly

Old 12-07-2016, 03:26 PM
GT3Fan24 Is a GOD !GT3Fan24 Is a GOD !GT3Fan24 Is a GOD !GT3Fan24 Is a GOD !GT3Fan24 Is a GOD !GT3Fan24 Is a GOD !GT3Fan24 Is a GOD !GT3Fan24 Is a GOD !GT3Fan24 Is a GOD !GT3Fan24 Is a GOD !GT3Fan24 Is a GOD !
Got it. My buddy Milaad was at Mojave and I thought it was a PDK issue.

Car is going to be a beast.

Old 12-07-2016, 03:37 PM
Originally Posted by Goin2drt
Got it. My buddy Milaad was at Mojave and I thought it was a PDK issue.

Car is going to be a beast.
Milaad was there with me for 6 hours trying to figure out what was going on. When I tried to reflash the tune the battery went dead so the car was stuck in limbo land, and we couldnt even get the car in neutral to push on the trailer. My wife went to the auto parts store and came back with a new battery then we were able to reflash and got the car back to where we could get it into Neutral.

Old 12-07-2016, 05:00 PM
Uthatcher has a reputation beyond reputeUthatcher has a reputation beyond reputeUthatcher has a reputation beyond reputeUthatcher has a reputation beyond reputeUthatcher has a reputation beyond reputeUthatcher has a reputation beyond reputeUthatcher has a reputation beyond reputeUthatcher has a reputation beyond reputeUthatcher has a reputation beyond reputeUthatcher has a reputation beyond reputeUthatcher has a reputation beyond repute
Can't wait to see the results Mark, this build is awesome.

Old 12-07-2016, 05:07 PM
Former Vendor
SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !
Cheers Mark! While we were in there it was kind of a no-brainer to beef up the 3.8. Guys Mark is an extremely dedicated and experienced racer. We are going to clinch some serious records out here even if they are snatched from yourself LOL abs it's my pleasure to support you buddy. We are friends first and foremost so I can't wait to get back out there with you!

I've got to say also the camaraderie is just top level with members here. I have spoken to Milaad a few times and he such a nice guy. A total enthusiast who showed great support that day. Thanks from both of us!

I've known John at EvoSpec for many years but never had the pleasure of working directly with him. The guy is so professional and on point. He values customer service and quality just as much as I do and he builds the most powerful engines out there for our cars. I think this is the beginning of a beautiful thing. We have a few other projects going on so get ready for some awesome collaborations from us on this platform and others.

Mark, I think we will have your engine next week and it gives me just enough time to button up a few big projects and get you back on the rack. We've been draining all of that oil and cleaning everything up so we can put it back together for you. We should probably also get back on the dyno and see how we do. She should be stronger even on the same exact set up with that extra head flow. And it's nice to know that we can take it to the next level easily because I know you're going to want to!

Old 12-08-2016, 07:44 AM
Former Vendor
Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !
This is awesome!

Old 12-08-2016, 10:04 AM
Originally Posted by SamboTT@ByDesign
Cheers Mark! While we were in there it was kind of a no-brainer to beef up the 3.8. Guys Mark is an extremely dedicated and experienced racer. We are going to clinch some serious records out here even if they are snatched from yourself LOL abs it's my pleasure to support you buddy. We are friends first and foremost so I can't wait to get back out there with you!

I've got to say also the camaraderie is just top level with members here. I have spoken to Milaad a few times and he such a nice guy. A total enthusiast who showed great support that day. Thanks from both of us!

I've known John at EvoSpec for many years but never had the pleasure of working directly with him. The guy is so professional and on point. He values customer service and quality just as much as I do and he builds the most powerful engines out there for our cars. I think this is the beginning of a beautiful thing. We have a few other projects going on so get ready for some awesome collaborations from us on this platform and others.

Mark, I think we will have your engine next week and it gives me just enough time to button up a few big projects and get you back on the rack. We've been draining all of that oil and cleaning everything up so we can put it back together for you. We should probably also get back on the dyno and see how we do. She should be stronger even on the same exact set up with that extra head flow. And it's nice to know that we can take it to the next level easily because I know you're going to want to!
Sam thank you, its like Im 8 yrs old and waiting for christmas can't wait to drive it around. Dyno for sure so we can maximize the tune for each of the maps and of course then fine tune it at the track, really interested to feel the difference the head work and cams provide along with the Dodson upgrade.

Old 12-08-2016, 10:05 AM
Originally Posted by Tom@Champion
This is awesome!

Thanks Tom, Cant wait to drive this beast around will keep you up dated.

Old 12-08-2016, 01:12 PM
longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !
Bro I sooo want a ride in this thing. Are you still using the Tial 68's or did you go bigger?

Old 12-08-2016, 01:44 PM
Former Vendor
Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Markblackwell
I had zero issues with the PD K granted I only have about 70 miles on the PD K but that works flawlessly
Tip: When you re-install the engine and PDK, make sure you do the full PDK re-adaptation procedure with a PIWIS. Not only the programming part, but also the road driving sequence. Any time communication with the PDK is cut off, you have to go through this all over again otherwise you'll end up with all sorts of PDK drivability issues and fault codes that will mess with the car.

Old 12-08-2016, 02:04 PM
Originally Posted by longboarder
Bro I sooo want a ride in this thing. Are you still using the Tial 68's or did you go bigger?
Adam, I got you on the ride, I'm gonna see what she will do with the 68's first, then figure out from there where I wanna go with it. I did the build so I can go bigger when I pull the trigger. John says I will get a little bump with the cams and heads using the Vtg's, But they will work way better if I ditch them.

Originally Posted by Tom@Champion
Tip: When you re-install the engine and PDK, make sure you do the full PDK re-adaptation procedure with a PIWIS. Not only the programming part, but also the road driving sequence. Any time communication with the PDK is cut off, you have to go through this all over again otherwise you'll end up with all sorts of PDK drivability issues and fault codes that will mess with the car.
Tom thanks for the info, we were going to use the PIWI's again on the transmission for sure, I didnt know about the driving sequence though. Even when we used the PIWi's the first time on the dodson install it still took a little while for the PDK to adapt.

Old 12-13-2016, 10:33 AM
PMNewton Is a GOD !PMNewton Is a GOD !PMNewton Is a GOD !PMNewton Is a GOD !PMNewton Is a GOD !PMNewton Is a GOD !PMNewton Is a GOD !PMNewton Is a GOD !PMNewton Is a GOD !PMNewton Is a GOD !PMNewton Is a GOD !
I had no idea there were cams available for this motor. Can you provide details or a link to additional info?

- Patrick

Old 12-14-2016, 08:22 AM
Originally Posted by PMNewton
I had no idea there were cams available for this motor. Can you provide details or a link to additional info?

- Patrick
Patrick the stock cams sent out to Germany to be re-ground

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.