996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

BBS Motorsport wheels...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-09-2016, 02:43 PM
pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !
BBS Motorsport wheels...

Just got a brand new set of BBS Motorsport E88 wheels that will be going on a 7GT2. I'm very impressed with the quality and detail of the wheels. I've never been a huge fan of the dished 3pc wheels but I must admit, there are very sweet.

For those not familiar, the E88 is a forged race wheel built by BBS Motorsport. They have nothing in common with the commercially available BBS street wheels. Unlike the street wheels, the Motorsport wheels are fully rebuildable (all parts are replaceable) and can be built in custom offsets simply by assembling the wheels with various width centers and inner/outer barrels. The BBS Motorsport wheel barrels are bead blasted by BBS to lock the tire onto the wheel. These wheels are the 5 lug version of the OEM center lock 996Cup wheels. Other versions of these wheel are used by Porsche on 997Cup cars. They are very lightweight with the spokes and centers milled out for extra lightening. I just put these on a very accurate scale and the weights are as follows:

18x9.5 = 21.1 lbs
18x12.5 = 21.9 lbs

[url=https://flic.kr/p/PPRNq1]

[url=https://flic.kr/p/PtW7Jq]

[url=https://flic.kr/p/PPRNr3]

Last edited by pwdrhound; 09-08-2017 at 02:33 PM.
Old 12-09-2016, 02:57 PM
brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !
Nice. I think those make a 996tt look tough and race car like.

Old 12-09-2016, 03:21 PM
Aktavate is a glorious beacon of lightAktavate is a glorious beacon of lightAktavate is a glorious beacon of lightAktavate is a glorious beacon of lightAktavate is a glorious beacon of light
Always loved the classic look of these. Pics on the car would be cool too if possible.

Old 12-09-2016, 06:26 PM
VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by pwdrhound
Just got a brand new set of BBS Motorsport E88 wheels that will be going on a 7GT2. I'm very impressed with the quality and detail of the wheels. I've never been a huge fan of the dished 3pc wheels but I must admit, there are very sweet. I'm actually thinking about getting a set for my car after getting a close look at these.

For those not familiar, the E88 is a forged race wheel built by BBS Motorsport. They have nothing in common with the commercially available BBS street wheels. Unlike the street wheels, the Motorsport wheels are fully rebuildable (all parts are replaceable) and can be built in custom offsets simply by assembling the wheels with various width centers and inner/outer barrels. The BBS Motorsport wheel barrels are bead blasted by BBS to lock the tire onto the wheel. These wheels are the 5 lug version of the OEM center lock 996Cup wheels. Other versions of these wheel are used by Porsche on 997Cup cars. They are very lightweight with the spokes and centers milled out for extra lightening. I just put these on a very accurate scale and the weights are as follows:

18x9.5 = 21.1 lbs
18x12.5 = 21.9 lbs

[url=https://flic.kr/p/PPRNq1]

[url=https://flic.kr/p/PtW7Jq]

[url=https://flic.kr/p/PPRNr3]
Best looking, functioning and all around wheel for street or track. Their are many nice and expensive wheels out there, but few that are worth money besides these IMHO. Tons of barrel options that are readily available and they are light and up for any abuse.

Old 12-09-2016, 07:28 PM
viprklr has a reputation beyond reputeviprklr has a reputation beyond reputeviprklr has a reputation beyond reputeviprklr has a reputation beyond reputeviprklr has a reputation beyond reputeviprklr has a reputation beyond reputeviprklr has a reputation beyond reputeviprklr has a reputation beyond reputeviprklr has a reputation beyond reputeviprklr has a reputation beyond reputeviprklr has a reputation beyond repute
Those are gorgeous. Where did you source them from.

Old 12-10-2016, 12:48 AM
goducks has a spectacular aura aboutgoducks has a spectacular aura aboutgoducks has a spectacular aura about
Great looking wheels...I think the fact that each piece is replaceable makes them even more attractive. Having to buy an entire wheel to replace a damaged rim, or barrel, on a 3 piece wheel kind of stinks.

Unfortunately, learned that from trying to replace a barrel on a two piece BBS "street wheel". Couldn't just buy a new barrel...had to buy the whole damn wheel.

Old 12-10-2016, 01:17 AM
911mhawk is on a distinguished road
Great looking wheels, I'm thinking a set in gold...

Old 12-10-2016, 09:03 AM
Rodstertts is on a distinguished road
Great looking wheels! Thanks for the detailed description. I'm currently looking into BBS wheels. Are there any concerns I should be aware of going 8x12.5 in the rears?

Old 12-10-2016, 09:58 AM
crash41301 is a splendid one to beholdcrash41301 is a splendid one to beholdcrash41301 is a splendid one to beholdcrash41301 is a splendid one to beholdcrash41301 is a splendid one to beholdcrash41301 is a splendid one to beholdcrash41301 is a splendid one to beholdcrash41301 is a splendid one to behold
Great looking wheels. Crazy how much drilling to lighten the inside hub section there is.

For reference, CCW's 3 piece options can also be individually replaced like this. I'd be surprised if HRE's 3 piece options aren't also individually serviceable. I don't know if other 3 piece manufacturers are, but at least have personal experience doing so with a set of CCW classics on another car.

Old 12-10-2016, 10:06 AM
pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Rodstertts
Great looking wheels! Thanks for the detailed description. I'm currently looking into BBS wheels. Are there any concerns I should be aware of going 8x12.5 in the rears?
Not s simple answer. It all depends on each individual application. I've set up the widebody 996 chassis with anything between a 18x11 and 13. Obviously the wider you go the more modification it will take to have successful fitment. The 997 widebody has more room to squeeze in bigger wheel/tire packages. 12.5s are a simple bolt on to a 7, not so much so on a 6. I personally run 13s on a 6.

Last edited by pwdrhound; 12-10-2016 at 10:12 AM.
Old 12-10-2016, 10:46 AM
VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by crash41301
Great looking wheels. Crazy how much drilling to lighten the inside hub section there is.

For reference, CCW's 3 piece options can also be individually replaced like this. I'd be surprised if HRE's 3 piece options aren't also individually serviceable. I don't know if other 3 piece manufacturers are, but at least have personal experience doing so with a set of CCW classics on another car.
You can. I know with CCW they are pretty custom and repair friendly. But not really sure about HRE. One thing with the BBS motorsport is they are quite available in almost any size.

Old 12-10-2016, 12:38 PM
SeattleTurbo Is a GOD !SeattleTurbo Is a GOD !SeattleTurbo Is a GOD !SeattleTurbo Is a GOD !SeattleTurbo Is a GOD !SeattleTurbo Is a GOD !SeattleTurbo Is a GOD !SeattleTurbo Is a GOD !SeattleTurbo Is a GOD !SeattleTurbo Is a GOD !SeattleTurbo Is a GOD !
Beautiful wheels...

Weight wise, how do they compare to the Finspeeds?

Old 12-10-2016, 03:37 PM
gophaster Is a GOD !gophaster Is a GOD !gophaster Is a GOD !gophaster Is a GOD !gophaster Is a GOD !gophaster Is a GOD !gophaster Is a GOD !gophaster Is a GOD !gophaster Is a GOD !gophaster Is a GOD !gophaster Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by 911mhawk
Great looking wheels, I'm thinking a set in gold...
+1, I originally wanted to do gold wheels on mine. Perhaps someday I will, just to change it up. The E88's are sharp!

On my list of favorite wheels, 3 of them are BBS!

E88
LM
LM-R

Anyone know if the LM-R are available in 18" for our cars? I think they are only 19's.

Old 12-10-2016, 04:55 PM
Originally Posted by SeattleTurbo
Beautiful wheels...

Weight wise, how do they compare to the Finspeeds?
Finspeed 18x10s are 18.9 lbs and the 18x13 are 20.9 lbs. (9.5/12.5s or 9/12s would be lighter still). Thats with the RT, Pro, and Ultralite options which adds about $2K to the wheel cost however. The RT option removes about 1 lb from the hub and the Pro/Ultralite option another 1 lb from the outer portion of the wheel. Without these options they would be comparable weight wise to the E88s. If done correctly, forged mono blocs will be a little bit lighter than 3 pc wheels.

Here is a pic of the back of the Finspeed hubs. They have some trick machining to remove mass also.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/PRZeuy]

Last edited by pwdrhound; 12-10-2016 at 05:16 PM.
Old 12-12-2016, 06:48 AM
HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by goducks
Great looking wheels...I think the fact that each piece is replaceable makes them even more attractive. Having to buy an entire wheel to replace a damaged rim, or barrel, on a 3 piece wheel kind of stinks.

Unfortunately, learned that from trying to replace a barrel on a two piece BBS "street wheel". Couldn't just buy a new barrel...had to buy the whole damn wheel.

there shouldn't be too many 3 piece wheels where you need to buy a whole new wheel in that situaton (I can't think of any reputable wheel companies where you would need)

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.