996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Quick 10 step 5 bar FPR DIY/photos

Old 01-11-2017, 09:32 PM
brockster Is a GOD !brockster Is a GOD !brockster Is a GOD !brockster Is a GOD !brockster Is a GOD !brockster Is a GOD !brockster Is a GOD !brockster Is a GOD !brockster Is a GOD !brockster Is a GOD !brockster Is a GOD !
Quick 10 step 5 bar FPR DIY/photos

I did my FPR and wanted to share a few steps to
maybe help the next guy! This is from memory so please correct me if I miss something!

1) Remove air box, hardpipe to throttle body, and passenger side IC hose to throttle body. I was doing some line checks etc. so had this stuff off anyways. I found it made a little bit of room to work.
2) There is an Allen head on the oil filler neck by oil cap. Remove it along with the metal support that supports the neck. Remove 10mm bolt just under oil cap. It connects to aluminum bracket that hold emissions pump.
3) On the passenger side the pump is a 6x6" roundish black "fan motor looking" unit. Remove the 3 10mm bolts that hold the pump to the metallic support bracket. Move attention back to filler neck and release the neck tube from the bracket by using a small screwdriver and a little manipulation. I used a small bungee to keep it pulled towards driver side out of way.
4) Remove the aluminum bracket from pump. Set aside. Push the pump over to the passenger side out of your way. Careful of wiring/lines. Pic shows bracket and pump separation.
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo859.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	958.2 KB
ID:	467539
5) You can now see the FPR. There is a vacuum line attached to the port on the side of the FPR. Disconnect.
6) Have a telescopic magnet handy. The retainer clip is between the housing and the FPR. It's black and looks like a large staple. DONT LOSE IT!!! A pair of extra length (reach) needle nose pliers work perfect. The "U" of the staple could be pointing up or down. Easier to grab from the top if it's an upside down "U". Careful and use your magnet.
7) My FPR was really stuck. A long sturdy screwdriver may work but I used a 10mm socket with long extension. I slid socket over vacuum nipple and levered it back and forth. It released after a bit. Pic shows how I positioned it.

Name:	photo649.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	1.35 MB
ID:	467540
8) Apply some motor oil to O ring on your new FPR. Start by inserting it by hand. Careful to not drop it into the abyss.
9) Mine wouldn't go by hand or with the help of a long screwdriver. Use a 1x2" inch piece of wood at least 20" long as a lever. Insert it between hoses (see pic) and have a 3x3" wood block to use as a fulcrum against body. Steady leverage should seat it completely. If the retainer clip can be reinserted it is seated. Some guys hear a snap when the FPR seats.

Name:	photo70.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	875.9 KB
ID:	467541

Name:	photo71.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	731.5 KB
ID:	467542
10) Reassemble. Take your time and you may want to take pics or notes along the way to keep from missing a connection etc. on reassembly. When reconnecting the vacuum line to the new FPR zip tie it tightly onto side port of FPR. Take care to make sure all is reconnected!

Last edited by brockster; 01-16-2017 at 06:44 PM.
Old 01-12-2017, 06:13 AM
BauerR Is a GOD !BauerR Is a GOD !BauerR Is a GOD !BauerR Is a GOD !BauerR Is a GOD !BauerR Is a GOD !BauerR Is a GOD !BauerR Is a GOD !BauerR Is a GOD !BauerR Is a GOD !BauerR Is a GOD !
Thanks for the writeup! About to tackle this myself

Old 01-12-2017, 06:36 AM
brockster Is a GOD !brockster Is a GOD !brockster Is a GOD !brockster Is a GOD !brockster Is a GOD !brockster Is a GOD !brockster Is a GOD !brockster Is a GOD !brockster Is a GOD !brockster Is a GOD !brockster Is a GOD !
Glad to! I am a big DIY guy and wanted to contribute. I plan on doing a turbocharger oil line replacement DIY too. I know there's limited write ups on that procedure.

Last edited by brockster; 01-12-2017 at 08:43 AM.
Old 01-12-2017, 06:44 AM
ghostofpain is a splendid one to beholdghostofpain is a splendid one to beholdghostofpain is a splendid one to beholdghostofpain is a splendid one to beholdghostofpain is a splendid one to beholdghostofpain is a splendid one to beholdghostofpain is a splendid one to behold
Dont forget to zip tie the pressure line to the FPR.

Old 01-12-2017, 07:47 AM
Nice tip I will add to OP thanks!!

Old 01-21-2017, 08:13 PM
fpb111 is on a distinguished road
Fpr = ?

Old 01-21-2017, 08:22 PM
brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by fpb111
Fpr = ?
Fuel pressure regulator. So you can run higher boost. Swapping to bigger injectors is a better way to go but is way more work.

Old 01-22-2017, 08:58 AM
Samplus will become famous soon enough
Create a kit to remove clip.
PS: Must use a cable to tie the retainer clip. Or you will LOSE IT!!!

Old 01-22-2017, 08:45 PM
fpb111 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by brnrdtns
Fuel pressure regulator. So you can run higher boost. Swapping to bigger injectors is a better way to go but is way more work.
Thank you

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.