Cayenne 955/957 Porsche's SUV up to 2011. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

Questions about alignment

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-12-2017, 11:38 PM
ciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant future
Questions about alignment

Took my car to replace rubbers today, and as usual asked to get the 4 wheel alignment on it too.
After the job they wanted to go over the alignment numbers and said that some measuremenrs were not able to be set per spec due to not having enough adjustability anymore. They said due to car age, etc. I replaced all bushings, ctrl arms, mounts insude shocks, etc, refreshing suspension last year.
Why arent they able to do all adjustments per spec, and is there a way to get them back to spec?

Thank you for help in advance.

Old 02-19-2017, 09:27 AM
Mr. Haney is a splendid one to beholdMr. Haney is a splendid one to beholdMr. Haney is a splendid one to beholdMr. Haney is a splendid one to beholdMr. Haney is a splendid one to beholdMr. Haney is a splendid one to beholdMr. Haney is a splendid one to beholdMr. Haney is a splendid one to behold
Remember that the subframes are also aligned to the unibody frame and this affects the base alignment. All the unibody measurements and subframe aligment is in the FSM.

Old 02-20-2017, 08:21 AM
ciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant future
So how would my alignment get off like this? The car has 0 accidents. The only work done was to replace evaporator a couple years ago.
I replaced all the suspension components a year ago. Including all bushings, control arms, etc, etc.
Just trying to identify reasons. Will try to see if I can post the chart from alignment.

Originally Posted by Mr. Haney
Remember that the subframes are also aligned to the unibody frame and this affects the base alignment. All the unibody measurements and subframe aligment is in the FSM.

Old 02-21-2017, 12:13 PM
Mr. Haney is a splendid one to beholdMr. Haney is a splendid one to beholdMr. Haney is a splendid one to beholdMr. Haney is a splendid one to beholdMr. Haney is a splendid one to beholdMr. Haney is a splendid one to beholdMr. Haney is a splendid one to beholdMr. Haney is a splendid one to behold
All I know is that the subframes are only locked in position by bolt torque and the serrations on top of the bushings where it contacts the frame. The book gos on to explain that anytime you loosen the front subframe to mark the position for re installation. In the front for example, the only way to lose adjustment would be bushings, frame damage, shock tower damage, bent hub/kingpin.

IMHO the only way to get a killer alignment on the Cayenne with bags is to do a suspension calibration, align, RE calibrate, check alignment, RE calibrate and adjust if off. Since the ride height affects alignment and alignment can affect ride height, this is the only way dial in both at the same time. I'm not sure of the dealers procedure.

Something as simple as pulling the vehicle forward and back to settle the the suspension while doing an alignment can matter. 1G your suspension can also make a difference in where it wants to settle.

Last edited by Mr. Haney; 02-21-2017 at 12:17 PM.
Old 02-23-2017, 02:18 AM
gh0stman is on a distinguished road
I would take it to a different shop and see what they say. I had one shop tell me that they couldn't do it because they couldn't adjust the active cruise/speed control (which it didn't have). So I took my money and went to the good ol' boys around the corner and got it done for dirt cheap and fixed my "stance" issues.

Old 03-03-2017, 11:49 PM
Zuffenhausen955 will become famous soon enoughZuffenhausen955 will become famous soon enough
I believe the Cayenne needs to be aligned with all 4 wheels slightly unloaded...

Old 03-04-2017, 01:34 PM
Originally Posted by Zuffenhausen955
I believe the Cayenne needs to be aligned with all 4 wheels slightly unloaded...

Why? And how is this acomplished? Or is this just a blanket statement?

Old 03-04-2017, 02:36 PM
Zuffenhausen955 will become famous soon enoughZuffenhausen955 will become famous soon enough
What is the ideal ride height for alignment of air suspension?

Old 03-29-2017, 09:40 PM
The factory procedure calls for alignment at the normal level.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.