Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Manual vs Sportshift

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-17-2017, 02:58 PM
Gene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond repute
Manual vs Sportshift

How many manual shift transmission V8 Vantages vs Sportshift transmission?

It seams to me that when I was searching for a Vantage that most were Sportshift cars, and not very many manual shift cars. Looking at the db9 cars even less had a manual.

Old 02-17-2017, 03:11 PM
Aldv has much to be proud ofAldv has much to be proud ofAldv has much to be proud ofAldv has much to be proud ofAldv has much to be proud ofAldv has much to be proud ofAldv has much to be proud ofAldv has much to be proud of
Hi... when I was hunting for my car I found the opposite for the Vantage models...Most were stick not automatics...also I found few couples which I was looking to buy. You are correct when I looked at DB9's mostly automatics... my son talked me out of DB9's as stated they were more costly to repair than the Vantage V8...Good Luck ...there are smarter people on this site that I know will answer your question better.

Old 02-17-2017, 05:14 PM
Mark8V8 will become famous soon enoughMark8V8 will become famous soon enough
I agree with you Gene, more sportshifts than manuals. I understand the AM Vantage manual is the preferred model over the sportshift. I have driven both and I don't like the AM sportshift.

Old 02-17-2017, 05:29 PM
Banned
Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !
I think I read somewhere a long while back that the Sportshift to manual split was 70/30 for the Vantage, but I have no idea if it was true.

Old 02-17-2017, 05:42 PM
programmatore has a reputation beyond reputeprogrammatore has a reputation beyond reputeprogrammatore has a reputation beyond reputeprogrammatore has a reputation beyond reputeprogrammatore has a reputation beyond reputeprogrammatore has a reputation beyond reputeprogrammatore has a reputation beyond reputeprogrammatore has a reputation beyond reputeprogrammatore has a reputation beyond reputeprogrammatore has a reputation beyond reputeprogrammatore has a reputation beyond repute
I looked for 6 months before buying my V8 Vantage Roadster 4 years ago. Back then I had a very hard time finding 2008 or newer manual V8V Roadsters (I wanted a 2008 or newer car for the iPod integration and Bluetooth). V8V coupes were a different story. There were lots of manual coupes.

Old 02-17-2017, 06:18 PM
Aldv has much to be proud ofAldv has much to be proud ofAldv has much to be proud ofAldv has much to be proud ofAldv has much to be proud ofAldv has much to be proud ofAldv has much to be proud ofAldv has much to be proud of
I finally bought a 09 with auto shift. As long as you do not use the comfort button it is a fun car. I have the sports package so stiffer ride and the d button is not used anymore. There were a ton of 07...08 stick coupes when I searched. The deal I got allowed me to buy smartly an 09. Still at that time...I found more manuals offered with most having just had the clutches replaced. Today I would think automatic is wanted more in the DB9 and up. This offering fun without the work of shifting unless you chose too.

Old 02-18-2017, 12:40 AM
SheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to all
Originally Posted by Aldv
I finally bought a 09 with auto shift. As long as you do not use the comfort button it is a fun car. I have the sports package so stiffer ride and the d button is not used anymore. There were a ton of 07...08 stick coupes when I searched. The deal I got allowed me to buy smartly an 09. Still at that time...I found more manuals offered with most having just had the clutches replaced. Today I would think automatic is wanted more in the DB9 and up. This offering fun without the work of shifting unless you chose too.

Very rare 6spd manual 05' DB9 here--- manual is the way to go. The ASM is too slow using the single clutch. Had one in a Maserati for a year, liked it, but not as much as a manual. To each their own though. I love my manual DB9 without a doubt. Completely transforms the car into something different compared to the Automatic version.

DB9s are no more costly than the Vantage. Coil packs are the only thing and most owners never do them or do them themselves or it was already done. Vantage owners have the Timing Cover leak. So tit for tat, they are about the same cost wide IMHO. Neither break often and for the most part more reliable than a Mercedes or BMW.

Old 02-18-2017, 08:25 AM
Prefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud of
Said it many times in this blog - I have both - much prefer the Sportshift when driven as intended. The V12S Sportshift is better - if it was on the V-8's the debate would be even stronger.

Old 02-18-2017, 09:14 AM
embdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to behold
I believe one clear advantage the manual has over the sportshift is clutch life. The manual gives the clutch engagement to the driver, and no automatic clutch engagement can offer the same nuances as your left foot. That said, for some the absence of a clutch is a reason to get the sport shift. As others have said, if you are not sure what you want there is no substitute to actually driving both.

Old 02-18-2017, 11:11 AM
XJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by SheriffDep
Very rare 6spd manual 05' DB9 here--- manual is the way to go. The ASM is too slow using the single clutch. Had one in a Maserati for a year, liked it, but not as much as a manual. To each their own though. I love my manual DB9 without a doubt. Completely transforms the car into something different compared to the Automatic version.
You must be smoking something if you think you can manually shift your DB9 faster than you can accomplish the same on an SSM Vantage. They shift far faster and smoother, especially downshifting.

Old 02-18-2017, 12:19 PM
SheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to all
Originally Posted by XJRS Owner
You must be smoking something if you think you can manually shift your DB9 faster than you can accomplish the same on an SSM Vantage. They shift far faster and smoother, especially downshifting.
Off base there on your posting. I never said anything was faster or slower than the other. I did however say the ASM is slow.

SIngle clutch ASM boxes are typically clunky and slow compared to a comparable dual clutch. Thats why the Maserati F1, Ferrari F1, AM ASM gearboxes are the largest complaints about the cars. Can they be driven smoothly, yes. Can a tune be added to speed them up, yes. But it takes a while to learn to drive them. Also, the clutch wear is a lot more than a standard manual. Try reversing up a hill, can burn a clutch out within minutes. Number one complaint and plenty of threads covering them.

Old 02-18-2017, 01:11 PM
pikajew is on a distinguished road
This is why I am upgrading to VAP's twin plate for my ASM. Should be a world of difference.

Old 02-18-2017, 09:58 PM
SheriffDep

Nice car....Still I am not a big fan of stick..When I first looked at used AM's. I would make the owners drive them first. My goodness no wonder most clutches go bad fast. Out of 10 people...One actually pushed the clutch pedal down completely. All my research told me run...Do not walk away! While I know DB9 and up are the high price spread...My son told me on this site and others DB meant Devil's Baby or King Ramson cars...As while you have been good to your ride most owners have no clue to drive... Furthermore...Ford took a tarus engine and double it for these engines. The vantage V8 is based off Lincoln - Jaguar motors. These are much easier for fixing by the average Joe. Yes..You are correct on the covers...But that is what checking the car before buying...After I bought I had the inspection done at Kerbeck-NJ... Christie was all smiles when giving me my results...Only minor stuff which my son and I have mostly completed by buying parts from Redpants and others...
you are right that I probably can not change the transmission and rear fuild without using the dealer as being an Automatic...
Everyone here has one common factor we are hooked on our car...Color etc of our AM...This is Wonderful! So far...I am thrilled with my automatic and while I wanted a stick...I was given a chance to buy a wonderful Fire Red Pearl color car that makes me smile...I will say AM is way behind on speed. A z06 with a z07 upgrade is 0-60 in 3.3 and costs only two thirds of new Vantage....Another thread a guy is updating to get to 0-60 in 4 with a 4.3...This is a great start...So... Wonderful day today in NJ so my wife and car both got taken out...Haha

Old 02-18-2017, 10:29 PM
62Jeff Is a GOD !62Jeff Is a GOD !62Jeff Is a GOD !62Jeff Is a GOD !62Jeff Is a GOD !62Jeff Is a GOD !62Jeff Is a GOD !62Jeff Is a GOD !62Jeff Is a GOD !62Jeff Is a GOD !62Jeff Is a GOD !
While I know DB9 and up are the high price spread...My son told me on this site and others DB meant Devil's Baby or King Ramson cars...
I've been on this site more than 5 years and never heard of the DB9s being characterized as you are describing.

Old 02-19-2017, 08:39 AM
XJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond repute
Nice car....Still I am not a big fan of stick..When I first looked at used AM's. I would make the owners drive them first. My goodness no wonder most clutches go bad fast. Out of 10 people...One actually pushed the clutch pedal down completely. All my research told me run...Do not walk away! While I know DB9 and up are the high price spread...My son told me on this site and others DB meant Devil's Baby or King Ramson cars...As while you have been good to your ride most owners have no clue to drive... Furthermore...Ford took a tarus engine and double it for these engines. The vantage V8 is based off Lincoln - Jaguar motors. These are much easier for fixing by the average Joe. Yes..You are correct on the covers...But that is what checking the car before buying...After I bought I had the inspection done at Kerbeck-NJ... Christie was all smiles when giving me my results...Only minor stuff which my son and I have mostly completed by buying parts from Redpants and others...
you are right that I probably can not change the transmission and rear fuild without using the dealer as being an Automatic...
Everyone here has one common factor we are hooked on our car...Color etc of our AM...This is Wonderful! So far...I am thrilled with my automatic and while I wanted a stick...I was given a chance to buy a wonderful Fire Red Pearl color car that makes me smile...I will say AM is way behind on speed. A z06 with a z07 upgrade is 0-60 in 3.3 and costs only two thirds of new Vantage....Another thread a guy is updating to get to 0-60 in 4 with a 4.3...This is a great start...So... Wonderful day today in NJ so my wife and car both got taken out...Haha
Jezzus, stream of consciousness rant? Is there some point to all that?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.