Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Pay it forward: "Definitive Guide to new Gaydon Era Aston Martins" for new owners

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-22-2017, 05:21 PM
R32sSayBwaaa is an unknown quantity at this point
Pay it forward: "Definitive Guide to new Gaydon Era Aston Martins" for new owners

Hey guys, instead of coming in and instantly posting "Hi I'm so and so, and I want to buy an Aston, what do I need to know," (no offense to those that have,) I've been lurking for a bit now, and doing lots of reading. It helps that I'm an engineer stuck out to sea currently. Lots of downtime.

I'm looking for an 08 V8V, and I know the biggest common expense to worry about is clutch, but there are other issues that happen, door handles, thermostats, etc, but. In every "Hi, I want to buy an Aston thread" someone says go buy The Book. I saw the link in the FAQ, (which, is one of the more useful FAQs for potential owners I've seen on a car forum,) and decided sure, that'd be a good read. I'd really like to check that out.

Problem is, once the bug bites, you're suddenly dying to find your perfect Aston, which is now my case. I'd still like to read the book, but the only ordering options I've found are over a month out, or $300USD+ for some reason.

So I figured, usually people really only want that book to research buying their Aston, probably usually just their first Aston. So I thought, man, this is the perfect opportunity to set up a cool little pay it forward thing. We could get a copy circulating, get a list going in a thread, (maybe this one) and just pay for shipping from the guy before you. Maybe even have a North America list and a Europe list? We could even get super cheesy and each sign the inside cover or something, add our forum handle and the model we bought or something, idk.

Really this all stems from me wanting a copy of The Book faster than a month from now, and after searching I was gonna make a WTB thread, then thought of this. If its too lame, let me know. Or don't, and just ignore this. but. I think it would be a cool, fun, enlightening thing for potential new owners.

So, anyone got a copy they haven't touched in years wanna be a pal and start?

Old 02-22-2017, 06:04 PM
sonies has much to be proud ofsonies has much to be proud ofsonies has much to be proud ofsonies has much to be proud ofsonies has much to be proud ofsonies has much to be proud ofsonies has much to be proud ofsonies has much to be proud of
did you try this link? I ordered it from here and it showed up in less than 2 weeks

http://www.astonmartinreview.co.uk/

Old 02-22-2017, 06:16 PM
Banned
Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by sonies
did you try this link? I ordered it from here and it showed up in less than 2 weeks

Ditto on this. They're still in print, and the newest edition just got released so it's really up to date.

Old 02-22-2017, 07:20 PM
Gene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond repute
There is a listing on eBay for the book at $27. Do a search on eBay at it will pop up.

Old 02-22-2017, 07:23 PM
W126C will become famous soon enough
That's where I bought my copy. I still use it as reference guide from time to time.
Good luck with your quest for the '08 V8V.

Regards,

Old 02-22-2017, 10:38 PM
Basically, my idea is lame. Got it.

Oh well, thanks for the advice. I really just checked Amazon then gave up, honestly.

Old 02-23-2017, 01:22 AM
SheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to all
Originally Posted by R32sSayBwaaa
Basically, my idea is lame. Got it.

Oh well, thanks for the advice. I really just checked Amazon then gave up, honestly.

Your idea is not bad. I just did this for a member who wants to buy his second AM and wanted to look at the varying options listed in it. I think its very valuable for that. He offered to pay, but I sent to him totally free. I didn't need it anymore.

So idea is good, but it only works when someone make a thread saying "I am looking to buy a V8 Vantage, please tell me what I need to know, so I don't have to go around looking" That is why they are written mostly. A member would have to then put, here is a free copy, you pay shipping. But, a lot of those people never, NEVER post again after getting the car.

IF you would like to get help getting a copy shipped to you cheap as possibly, I have no issue ordering you one, then having it shipped to you wherever you are. Just ask.

Old 02-23-2017, 01:33 AM
Originally Posted by SheriffDep
Your idea is not bad. I just did this for a member who wants to buy his second AM and wanted to look at the varying options listed in it. I think its very valuable for that. He offered to pay, but I sent to him totally free. I didn't need it anymore.

So idea is good, but it only works when someone make a thread saying "I am looking to buy a V8 Vantage, please tell me what I need to know, so I don't have to go around looking" That is why they are written mostly. A member would have to then put, here is a free copy, you pay shipping. But, a lot of those people never, NEVER post again after getting the car.

IF you would like to get help getting a copy shipped to you cheap as possibly, I have no issue ordering you one, then having it shipped to you wherever you are. Just ask.
Yeah, I guess I could see that. Think they want to get into it then realize they can't afford it or something, and never come back to the forum. That would suck, book gone. Oh well. It was worth asking I guess.

And wow, that's super thoughtful of you, but I can just order it. It's not that big of a deal. Really appreciate it though!! ðŸ‘ðŸ¼ðŸ‘ðŸ¼

Old 02-23-2017, 05:59 AM
TB43 is an unknown quantity at this point
Hey man, decent idea, but I agree with others here. Just buy the book from the link provided above, I think it was $42 shipped and I got it from the UK (to MO) in under a week. Like you, I looked at Amazon first, and found a used one for $1200! I thought, "what the hell is this book made of?!?" Then I found the publishers link, thankfully. It's the new, 2017 version too. I've read it from cover to cover, and there's no way I'd let mine go, as I'll reference back to it again and again, it's that informative. Good luck on your search!

Old 02-23-2017, 06:17 AM
yvr
yvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud of
If Grant can't sell books, why would he bother doing all the research? Pretty low volume as it is. Let's not kill the goose.

Old 02-23-2017, 07:05 AM
mkzhang has much to be proud ofmkzhang has much to be proud ofmkzhang has much to be proud ofmkzhang has much to be proud ofmkzhang has much to be proud ofmkzhang has much to be proud ofmkzhang has much to be proud ofmkzhang has much to be proud of
If you can afford the book, you can afford the car

Or is it the other way around? jk

Old 02-23-2017, 07:09 AM
Old phart is a jewel in the roughOld phart is a jewel in the roughOld phart is a jewel in the roughOld phart is a jewel in the rough
+1 with above. If you're in the Market for an Aston you can afford the book.

Old 02-23-2017, 12:26 PM
electronaut is an unknown quantity at this point
Seriously, just order the book directly from the web site that sells it. I was in the same boat as you, ordered it, and had it less than 2 weeks later. It is a great book.

Old 02-23-2017, 01:01 PM
W126C will become famous soon enough

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.