Bentley From the original 3 Litre to the current Continental GT and Mulsanne

Aftermarket wheel durability

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-27-2017, 04:14 PM
DMaffo has much to be proud ofDMaffo has much to be proud ofDMaffo has much to be proud ofDMaffo has much to be proud ofDMaffo has much to be proud ofDMaffo has much to be proud ofDMaffo has much to be proud ofDMaffo has much to be proud ofDMaffo has much to be proud ofDMaffo has much to be proud of
Aftermarket wheel durability

Been thinking about changing the look a bit and had my hopes crushed by couple people in the industry that have basically said car is too heavy and I will end up warping or cracking aftermarket wheels on the flying spur.
Anyone here have experience good or bad with aftermarket wheels?
Pictures, suggestions?

Thanks

Old 03-27-2017, 05:12 PM
Former Vendor
HRE_Jurrian has a reputation beyond reputeHRE_Jurrian has a reputation beyond reputeHRE_Jurrian has a reputation beyond reputeHRE_Jurrian has a reputation beyond reputeHRE_Jurrian has a reputation beyond reputeHRE_Jurrian has a reputation beyond reputeHRE_Jurrian has a reputation beyond reputeHRE_Jurrian has a reputation beyond reputeHRE_Jurrian has a reputation beyond reputeHRE_Jurrian has a reputation beyond reputeHRE_Jurrian has a reputation beyond repute
No problem here. We just use our higher load rated options instead. To be honest most Bentley's are heavy, so in these instances we'll use a higher load rated option which we have to be able to support a higher weight. PM me if you need more info

Old 03-28-2017, 01:59 AM
stevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond repute
Go single piece, as had problems with multi-piece. And yes, the Bentley is one heck of a heavy pig.

Old 03-28-2017, 08:47 AM
jim2331 can only hope to improve
hello d.m. ... on subject of new wheels for your f.s. sorry I'm writing this while having my breakfast...using one finger method...i have here a bentley brochure printed in 2016...
what year is your spur and how much mileage...how long do you own car and what is your regular use of car...how has your service experience gone...
ok...on the wheels...crewe has a team of world class designers...who works assiduously on your wheel issue....guaranteed not to fall apart...they all look great...of the six displayed...any one should fill the bill...
....19 inch classic...20 inch six trial-spoke ...21 inch six twin spoke ... 21 inch ten spoke ...21 inch seven twin spoke ...20 inch open spoke ....many available in painted or polished finishes....why reinvent the wheel...jim b

Old 03-28-2017, 08:53 AM
....Steve...at various times you have referred to our favorite car as a moving brick and now a heavy pig...It appears your Bentley experience has embittered your perspective...have you finally sold the $12.50 ballpoint you got as a gift....JimB

Old 03-28-2017, 12:44 PM
stevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond repute
LOL! Thanks for the humor Jim. Have been having sooo much fun in the great handling BMW. We're going full Stage 4 with bigger turbo and intercooler

Check out these power-to-weight ratio calculations:
Bentley 5580 lbs
HP 552 P2W 10.11
TQ 479 P2W 11.64

BMW 3635 lbs
HP 448 P2W 8.11
TQ 417 P2W 8.72

Thanks again, you've been awesome

BTW, still have both Dice units and the Bentley factory Apple interface for sale. Also have a variety of books/brochures too. Am sure you may be interested as this helps bring the early VW Group's Bentley GT/GTC to 2010 standards. Am so surprised you're not buying the pen. Do you have one?

Last edited by stevenrmusic; 03-28-2017 at 12:54 PM.
Old 03-28-2017, 01:22 PM
....Hello Steve....When my quill pen wears out may be interested...as to the cars...different cars make sense at different times in ones life...earlier...much earlier...I thought an Excalibur was cool...had two...now would be too embarrassed to be seen in one....then there was a Ferrari Daytona...sweet looking classic, but totally a pain with six Webbers and not practical unless enjoying the high end speed range...The Roller is pretentious...the Bentley...my speed...JimB

Old 03-28-2017, 04:08 PM
Love the sound of Webbers. Niiiice!

Agree, we grow in and out of cars. Maybe due to moving to a younger area pushed me to making the change to the BMW. Well, that and no need for AWD in the Sunshine State.

But yeah, the B reeeeally left a bad impression. Never told you guys, the rear window fell out once, and mignt need some care as seems she was hinting at the same thing again. There was the startup bit i replaced, the 2-piece factory rim problem, the rubbing of the top on an inner bit that will eventually cause holes in the canvass, and two or three other things i kept quiet. Seems i was either always chansing a problem or apprehensively waiting for the next problem. Am still astonished that Bentley has not recalled the early cars due to the false air, or at least some compensation when it does happen. Spoke with one of the head guys at Bentley when the false air haplened a few years back and his attitude was, well, not reassuring. THAT is when i realized they just dont care about their customers. Almost as if they distain their own customers, and i was polite and did mention it was the second B so was a repeat customer. Thats when my comments here changed from happy to less so.

Am glad the newer models seem more reliable and my ex has never contacted me about any problems with her 2013 i helped her decide on so (crossing fingers) hope it has been reliable as she is a good gal.

Aww, well, we live we learn... or something like that. On a positive note, it's nice having a car i feel comfortable tracking occasionally. Life here in FL is so young and vibrant! So yeah I've been grouchy here, and hopefully a few readers took caution and read all the other's problems to make a more educated discision before possibly getting a Bentley.

You've had a nice stable of cars, so many great cars, so little time. Bravo kind sir and enjoy the rides

Old 03-28-2017, 05:19 PM
....Steven...At this point it is obvious that the pre 2007 cars had issues and GTC's more than most...Did I mention that when I picked up my 2010 Speed the dealer just got in the matching car in convertible. There they were parked together. Things in market were slow then, on impulse (bit crazy), I made a quick deal on the GTC at same price as my Speed...this was a surprise for my great wife of 40 years...Problem was she liked her new Lexus better for regular use, so the GTC sat there gathering dust...gave it back to dealer with 100 miles on it...you can imagine what that little trip cost...but it was fun and given same circumstances probably would do it again...I am not sorry I gave the GTC back and kept the hard top...

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.