996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

AX22 GPS Performance Computer/accelerometer

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-30-2006, 04:11 PM
Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !
AX22 GPS Performance Computer/accelerometer

I want to purchase an AX22 GPS Performance Computer/accelerometer (made by Race Technology): http://www.race-technology.com/WebPa.../AX22Home.html and http://www.race-technology.com/WebPage2/Other/Datasheets/AX22datasheet.pdf#search='ax22' (click on the links for a comprehensive explanation of the AX22).

This impressive unit is able to accurately measure elapsed time between any two speeds (e.g., 0-60 mph, 60-120 mph, 0-100 mph, 0-200 mph, etc.), elapsed time over a set distance (e.g., ¼ mile, 60 feet, 1/8 mile, 1 mile, etc.), and elapsed time for braking. The unit comes with a flash card, so the information can be easily downloaded to a computer. The AX22 is far more accurate than a G-Tech, or any other consumer oriented product, and has far more features (most importantly, the AX22 can measure elapsed time between ANY two speeds). Car and Driver stated that “the AX22 provides highly accurate data” -- “pinpoint accuracy from car to car” -- and the AX22 was “the most accurate” of the seven units they tested: http://www.caranddriver.com/features...ork-page9.html . Here is a break-down of Car and Driver’s test results: http://www.caranddriver.com/features...rk-page11.html .

Unfortunately, the AX22 is not cheap. Race Technology charges $965 for the unit (and an additional $100 for the flash card and reader): http://www.race-technology.com/Site2..._computer2.htm . Stateside, CB Racing charges $930 for the unit: http://www.cb-racing.com/logger-ordering.html . D2 Engineering charges $900: http://d2engineering.com/Race%20Tech...a%20logger.htm .

Given that I only plan to use the AX22 occasionally, I would like to purchase it in conjunction with a couple of other people, splitting the purchase price and usage evenly. Is there anyone else out there who would like to get some accurate performance numbers for their car, including common benchmarks that are not available at a ¼ mile track (e.g., 60-120 mph). If so, let me know and we can coordinate a group purchase of a single AX22 unit.

Craig

Old 03-30-2006, 04:37 PM
Boondocksts is an unknown quantity at this point
I have one of their older models and it is great. I have been thinking about buying one of these, they are great units, and amazingly accurate. I would suggest that you should just buy it yourself, it may be a lot of money for just a data logger, but once you start to use it you will be pretty damn impressed.

Old 03-30-2006, 04:47 PM
WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !
Craig,
I suppose it would make sense to be in the same geographic area
as shipping these electronic goodies (frequently) is not a good idea.

I like your idea and plan to do the same this summer in Mpls. MN area.
Marty

Old 03-30-2006, 07:09 PM
tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !
Maybe we could get our local PCA club chapter to get one and the club share it, especially at track events

Old 03-30-2006, 09:11 PM
rmrmd1956 is a glorious beacon of lightrmrmd1956 is a glorious beacon of lightrmrmd1956 is a glorious beacon of lightrmrmd1956 is a glorious beacon of lightrmrmd1956 is a glorious beacon of lightrmrmd1956 is a glorious beacon of light
I used my AX22 to generate the graphs in this thread! It works great, just buy one.
https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...ad.php?t=24974

Old 03-30-2006, 09:57 PM
Zippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond repute
I'd be into buying 1 myself if we could get a good group buy rate. I would like to measure my cars performance now and compare it to some planned updates.

Mike

Old 03-30-2006, 11:11 PM
VRAlexander
Count me in on a group buy Craig...

Old 03-30-2006, 11:43 PM
vincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond repute
I am in as well.

Old 03-31-2006, 12:07 AM
Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !
Are you guys in to buy one unit and share it, or to try and buy multiple units at a discounted price? I prefer the former.

Craig

Old 03-31-2006, 12:10 AM
vincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond repute
I want one with a group discount. However that will workout.

Old 03-31-2006, 01:09 AM
carendt242 is a jewel in the roughcarendt242 is a jewel in the roughcarendt242 is a jewel in the roughcarendt242 is a jewel in the rough
i have an AP-22 i wil sell if that will suffice

- chuck

Old 03-31-2006, 02:07 AM
VRAlexander
Craig-
I would like one with a group discount aswell.

Old 03-31-2006, 03:41 AM
Jean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond repute
Think of it like an extremely accurate portable dyno. It is the best piece of equipment you will buy and will not leave home without it. It takes 30 seconds to set on your car and can be exchanged with other cars just as fast.

I doubt you will get any group discounts, they sell like pancakes and you will be lucky to get one without a waiting list. At least when they first came out.

Best of all is that you can share data with anyone across the world and compare performance. Can results be tampered? I think yes, but there is a way to find out

This is what you can get with just one run.

Attached Images  
Old 03-31-2006, 03:49 AM
sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Jean
Think of it like an extremely accurate portable dyno. It is the best piece of equipment you will buy and will not leave home without it. It takes 30 seconds to set on your car and can be exchanged with other cars just as fast.

I doubt you will get any group discounts, they sell like pancakes and you will be lucky to get one without a waiting list. At least when they first came out.

Best of all is that you can share data with anyone across the world and compare performance. Can results be tampered? I think yes, but there is a way to find out

This is what you can get with just one run.
I actually just bought one myself. Pretty cool toy indeed. Although Jean says "It is the best piece of equipment you will buy and will not leave home without it.", I'd prefer a pack of Durex on my trips. On a serious note, I'll bring that thing out to the drag strip on Friday and compare real timeslips to the readings. See how accurate it is. I have one of those G-Tech things somewhere and I could try that too (and show people how inacurate those are). I might have so many gauges and so much clutter on the wind shield that I doubt tech will let me race

Old 03-31-2006, 04:04 AM
Jean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond repute
Note to self: Always add a disclaimer for Sharky in future statements.

Sharky just make sure you calibrate it properly (I mean the AX 22) before using it. You just need to stop for a few seconds while it calibrates under "continuous mode".

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: AX22 GPS Performance Computer/accelerometer