997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Turbo Torque

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-09-2006, 10:55 PM
rmrmd1956 is a glorious beacon of lightrmrmd1956 is a glorious beacon of lightrmrmd1956 is a glorious beacon of lightrmrmd1956 is a glorious beacon of lightrmrmd1956 is a glorious beacon of lightrmrmd1956 is a glorious beacon of light
Turbo Torque

I merged all of Porsches 'official' graphs. Interesting.

Attached Images  
Old 06-10-2006, 03:57 PM
pilone is just really nicepilone is just really nicepilone is just really nicepilone is just really nicepilone is just really nice
That's really interesting friend...thank you for it!
The Over boost makes the difference...indeed

Last edited by pilone; 06-10-2006 at 05:06 PM.
Old 06-10-2006, 04:52 PM
MeanMachine is a glorious beacon of lightMeanMachine is a glorious beacon of lightMeanMachine is a glorious beacon of lightMeanMachine is a glorious beacon of lightMeanMachine is a glorious beacon of light
Thanks for sharing

Old 06-10-2006, 07:24 PM
jlee is just really nicejlee is just really nicejlee is just really nicejlee is just really nice
Very nice job. Thank you.

Does anyone know(if this calculation is even possible) what the approximate or equivalent H.P. numbers would be for the 997tt when the overboost function is active?

Old 06-10-2006, 09:22 PM
John D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to behold
For comparison sake - here are the 996 based RUF 550 figures. I am no expert, but it appears to equal the 997tt about 800 RPM's later, then reach an ultimately higher level and hold it longer in the RPM range. I wonder how these two would match up side by side to 120 mph or so?

Attached Images  
Old 06-11-2006, 06:22 PM
rmrmd1956 is a glorious beacon of lightrmrmd1956 is a glorious beacon of lightrmrmd1956 is a glorious beacon of lightrmrmd1956 is a glorious beacon of lightrmrmd1956 is a glorious beacon of lightrmrmd1956 is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by jlee
Very nice job. Thank you.

Does anyone know(if this calculation is even possible) what the approximate or equivalent H.P. numbers would be for the 997tt when the overboost function is active?
Max power is the same.

Old 06-11-2006, 09:48 PM
CarbonCycles is a jewel in the roughCarbonCycles is a jewel in the roughCarbonCycles is a jewel in the roughCarbonCycles is a jewel in the rough
damn that is one very sharp and FLAT torque curve!

Old 06-16-2006, 05:23 PM
Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !
Doen't that mean that overboost is only useful in first when accelerating hard. Subsequent gears woudl drop you above the overboost RPM.

Old 06-16-2006, 06:01 PM
dr_sharp is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by ari
Doen't that mean that overboost is only useful in first when accelerating hard. Subsequent gears woudl drop you above the overboost RPM.
Yes, that is a good point... that may answer some of the questions about "highway runs" in which one would be at WOT for more than 10seconds. The overboost is active in say, first and second gear only before going out of the rpm range of overboost in the final 4 gears.

Old 06-16-2006, 06:04 PM
dr_sharp is on a distinguished road
I also just thought of how funny it would be to compare an S2000 torque curve with this 997tt curve... the peak of the S2000 would be about 100ftlbs below the bottom of that graph.

Old 06-16-2006, 09:47 PM
Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !
Overboost seems useful in making good starts and significantly helping low end torque (and therefore HP). Once you're out of first in a drag race, you will always be above the overboost RPM (even if you're still within the time limit).

Either way, the 997TT would wipe even a modified 996TT in throttle response and low RPM torque making a much better street car.

As Is, a stock 997TT would have trouble against a chipped 996 let alone a chipped X50 in a full bore drag race.

I wonder how long it will be until you can re-flash in a permanent overboost with higher boost at high RPM and not need to buy the chrono package?

I don't think the peak of an S2000 torque curve would even be HALF... while we're at it, I wonder how it compares to a Z06...

Last edited by Turbo Fanatic; 06-16-2006 at 09:51 PM.
Old 06-17-2006, 05:37 AM
hesperus is just really nicehesperus is just really nicehesperus is just really nicehesperus is just really nicehesperus is just really nice
Originally Posted by ari
Overboost seems useful in making good starts and significantly helping low end torque (and therefore HP). Once you're out of first in a drag race, you will always be above the overboost RPM (even if you're still within the time limit).

Either way, the 997TT would wipe even a modified 996TT in throttle response and low RPM torque making a much better street car.

As Is, a stock 997TT would have trouble against a chipped 996 let alone a chipped X50 in a full bore drag race.
agree completely. i think the 997TT will feel MASSIVELY fast around town, or any situation where you need to get on and off the throttle to negotiate curves, traffic and whatnot.

on a long open freeway or autobahn, the Ruf or any well tuned high HP 996TT would keep up if not pull away. but on real driving roads such as english B-roads, the twisties around the Nurburgring circuit, or an autocross course, i'd be hard pressed which car to put my money on!

next time you're in your car tootling around deserted town streets or an empty parking lot, try this:

drive around in 2nd gear, just ambling along at a very relaxed pace. imagine you suddenly have to go for it, so you stomp on the loud pedal. in my (stock) 996TT, flooring it at 2k RPM gets the car moving for sure, but i don't really feel that crazy turbo rush until i'm close to 3k RPM.

but when i think of the 997TT's torque characteristics, at the very point where i floor the gas at 2k RPM, i'd be immediately at PEAK torque, which as we know is way higher than the 996TT's.

now in tighter, non-highway situations, i'd likely have to get off the gas (to brake or negotiate another car, or a hairpin or whatever) after several seconds, which could well drop the revs again, but with the 997TT's torque band, it would hardly matter.

i bet this thing will be (and almost surely FEEL) a lot faster than many modded TT's in these conditions.

Old 06-17-2006, 05:58 PM
Agreed in every respect, now let's figure out how to transplant onto 996

Old 06-19-2006, 08:51 PM
PMac is a splendid one to beholdPMac is a splendid one to beholdPMac is a splendid one to beholdPMac is a splendid one to beholdPMac is a splendid one to beholdPMac is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by hesperus
drive around in 2nd gear, just ambling along at a very relaxed pace. imagine you suddenly have to go for it, so you stomp on the loud pedal. in my (stock) 996TT, flooring it at 2k RPM gets the car moving for sure, but i don't really feel that crazy turbo rush until i'm close to 3k RPM.

but when i think of the 997TT's torque characteristics, at the very point where i floor the gas at 2k RPM, i'd be immediately at PEAK torque, which as we know is way higher than the 996TT's.
Don't forget about turbo-lag. If you're at 2k in a 997TT, you still need to build boost before you get the rush. I'm sure they've further reduced lag relative to the 996TT, and the delay will be minimal, but you won't get it *immediately*.

That said, I completely agree that in real-world situations where you're tootling around town, the 997TT is going to feel a lot more like a high-displacement naturally aspirated American V8 than ever before.

Old 06-19-2006, 09:19 PM
Porscheboy16 is a glorious beacon of lightPorscheboy16 is a glorious beacon of lightPorscheboy16 is a glorious beacon of lightPorscheboy16 is a glorious beacon of lightPorscheboy16 is a glorious beacon of lightPorscheboy16 is a glorious beacon of light
Cool graphs, thanks.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Turbo Torque