Boxster / Cayman Porsche Boxster, Boxster S, and Cayman discussion board.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

FVD 3.8L Conversion Into Member's 986 Boxster!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-20-2006, 11:07 AM
Evan333 will become famous soon enough
FVD 3.8L Conversion Into Member's 986 Boxster!

As some of you may have read on 6speed member "Dave"'s post he sent us his 2002 986 Boxster S to have us attempt somthing that has not yet been done. Putting a 3.8L 997S motor into the newer cars (987 and Cayman) is no problem, essentially plug and play with little to no fabrication necessary. Dave's car was a whole new challenge! A good amount of fabrication and customization went into putting this new motor into a previous generation car! Well the car went out for the first official road test yesterday and we are confident the car is getting near completion so I wanted to share it with the 6speed community!

Conversion Specs:
-Porsche 3.8L 997S Motor
-Bosch 7.8MN Motronic Conversion With FVD Programing
-FVD Sport Headers
-FVD Sport Catalytics
-FVD Sport Clutch & Light Weight Flywheel Setup

As I said the car is now in the road test stage and we hope to get it to the dyno by the end of the week (if not early next week). I was lucky enough to go on the first road test with the tech and let me tell you this thing is an animal! Dave spec'd this car WITHOUT PSM (Traction Control) so you can imagine what a handful this car is! This might be one of the most fun cars I have been in with the handling of the boxster and the power of a 997S! One of the best parts of this car is that the outside is completely stock (even has amber side markers!). This car is the definition of a sleeper! Keep in mind all this with priliminary testing programing (not even final which will be more power!).

I will have dynos and hopefully a little video in the next couple weeks for you guys, but for now here are some photos of the "almost" finished product:

Best Regards,
Evan & The FVD USA Staff!

Old 07-20-2006, 11:40 AM
PorscheFanatic has a reputation beyond reputePorscheFanatic has a reputation beyond reputePorscheFanatic has a reputation beyond reputePorscheFanatic has a reputation beyond reputePorscheFanatic has a reputation beyond reputePorscheFanatic has a reputation beyond reputePorscheFanatic has a reputation beyond reputePorscheFanatic has a reputation beyond reputePorscheFanatic has a reputation beyond reputePorscheFanatic has a reputation beyond reputePorscheFanatic has a reputation beyond repute
Tight Evan and congrats Dave! Glad you finally did it! Wonder how it will compare to the TT!

Old 07-20-2006, 02:36 PM
Just a boxster?
JP-S-St.Louis has a reputation beyond reputeJP-S-St.Louis has a reputation beyond reputeJP-S-St.Louis has a reputation beyond reputeJP-S-St.Louis has a reputation beyond reputeJP-S-St.Louis has a reputation beyond reputeJP-S-St.Louis has a reputation beyond reputeJP-S-St.Louis has a reputation beyond reputeJP-S-St.Louis has a reputation beyond reputeJP-S-St.Louis has a reputation beyond reputeJP-S-St.Louis has a reputation beyond reputeJP-S-St.Louis has a reputation beyond repute
Great setup Evan. I look foward to hear how great his car will be....BTW if you have a set of clear corners....Please throw them in Daves car!

Dave now has a fast car

Old 07-21-2006, 03:42 PM
deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !
so what does a conversions like this cost?

Old 07-21-2006, 09:37 PM
Banned
subgraphic will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by deputydog95
so what does a conversions like this cost?
Im intrested to know this as well...

Old 07-21-2006, 09:53 PM
Chris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by subgraphic
Im intrested to know this as well...
Look at Scot - going for the gusto!

Old 07-21-2006, 11:13 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by Chris from Cali
Look at Scot - going for the gusto!
Keeping up with the joneses is hard to do.. you did just get a 997 and my other pal is sportin a cayman S... I need.. SOMETHING..

Old 07-22-2006, 05:54 AM
Chris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by subgraphic
Keeping up with the joneses is hard to do.. you did just get a 997 and my other pal is sportin a cayman S... I need.. SOMETHING..
You're all right bro - you have a hotter girl than either of us. LOL

That conversion is pretty sick too - and no worries that the cops can "pop your hood"... advantages of the Boxster's engine location.

Old 07-22-2006, 09:56 AM
Evan333 will become famous soon enough
For Anyone In Our Area (South Florida) we will be having an open house in conjunction with the local chapter of the PCA where we will have Dave's Boxster on display next weekend July 29th from 11:00am-2:00pm!!

As far as the price of the conversion, I will let you guys know when this car is complete and we figure it out exactly. Should know somtime next week!
Regards,
Evan

Last edited by Evan333; 07-22-2006 at 01:44 PM.
Old 07-22-2006, 11:17 AM
Banned
Thanks Evan- amazing work...

Old 07-29-2006, 10:02 AM
Dave is a splendid one to beholdDave is a splendid one to beholdDave is a splendid one to beholdDave is a splendid one to beholdDave is a splendid one to beholdDave is a splendid one to beholdDave is a splendid one to behold
Evan,
Thanks for posting the pics and the narrative. I had not even seen these pictures until now.

This has been a great trip with you folks. I have to thank you, Willie, Rhonda, Jay, and Dave for being coscientious, proactive, and professional through this project.

Yes, the car was ordered without PSM. Intentionally! I knew that I would eventually want to track the car. (Although I've only tracked the TT to date.) Although a sleeper, the car was ordered with a lot of extras....I mean a lot of extras.... Some notably:

Xenon, Full leather, heated seats, painted roll bar, M030 sport suspension, Tequipment Aerokit, Tequipment Sport Exhaust, 18" Sport Wheels, Wood shifter and brake lever (Not too much wood.) .......you get the picture.

I'm hoping that the car will be back up in the NE by next week.

I'll probably put some softer compound tires on the car. If anyone has any recommendations, please let me know.

Dave

Old 08-03-2006, 04:48 PM
Dave is a splendid one to beholdDave is a splendid one to beholdDave is a splendid one to beholdDave is a splendid one to beholdDave is a splendid one to beholdDave is a splendid one to beholdDave is a splendid one to behold
Goin' to see the new toy. Although FVD offered to send someone up to spend the day with me and the boxster conversion (after Intercity gets it up here), I thought it might be more appropriate for me to fly down and see the shop and spend some time with the folks down in Pompano. Besides, it is so damn hot in the Northeast, it might just be cooler in Florida!!

I'll let you know my first impressions after I drive the car on Monday.

Dave

Old 08-03-2006, 05:00 PM
sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !
Wow.. that's a neat idea indeed. Good stuff! With the stuff on that motor is it making close to 380-390HP to the crank? If so, should be fun in that chasis!

Old 08-03-2006, 05:02 PM
deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !
what ended up being the grand total for the conversion?

Old 08-03-2006, 05:10 PM
Just a boxster?
JP-S-St.Louis has a reputation beyond reputeJP-S-St.Louis has a reputation beyond reputeJP-S-St.Louis has a reputation beyond reputeJP-S-St.Louis has a reputation beyond reputeJP-S-St.Louis has a reputation beyond reputeJP-S-St.Louis has a reputation beyond reputeJP-S-St.Louis has a reputation beyond reputeJP-S-St.Louis has a reputation beyond reputeJP-S-St.Louis has a reputation beyond reputeJP-S-St.Louis has a reputation beyond reputeJP-S-St.Louis has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by deputydog95
what ended up being the grand total for the conversion?
It is all on the FVD website D-Dog.....

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: FVD 3.8L Conversion Into Member's 986 Boxster!